It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do most people I meet seem completly disconnected?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I am a manager in the hospitality industry, and I see and talk to many, many people everyday. Lots of times I will bait the conversation with a key word like "ISON" or grid drill or something recent and important. My count is probably 8% of anyone I have encountered have a small grasp or clue what I am refering to, mostly I get a 'what is that' reply. I have gotten answers to questions that were so far from the varifyable truth that it made me sick that people are that dumb and disconnected from reality. Are any more ATS members finding the same results? I have a college professor saying that the national debt is at 6 trillion and W spent every last dime of it. That the libs are trying hard to fix all of Ws screwups and it could take a generation or two to repair, Do you see this type of people in your arena??? Understanding the role that MSM plays in most sheep's lives, it seems that the majority of people fit this profile....therefore we are in for some ride...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

Yes, I do see it as well and I agree with you. For example, I bring up Ison to many people and they have no clue what I'm talking about...the Dumbing Down of America, unfortunately.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

They seem disconnected because they really don`t know or want to know or don`t care about anything you were trying to discuss with them as it does not pertain to their lives in the here and now as they see it. Even if it did they probably were not thinking about such matters and with most people if they don`t see it here and now it`s completely out of mind and they are just concerned about getting drunk and watching football all day or how much booty they have had or are going to get. It`s called not caring about anything other then themselves and everything elts be d***ed or being asleep; take you pick for the term.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I'm goin out on a limb here and sayin you could certainly categorize a fair amount as....Followers

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

That doesn't mean they are "disconnected" though. Maybe to your interests and beliefs, but it doesn't mean much in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

We are products of our enviornment, but I am not talking about beliefs or groups. I mean somewhere around 92% of the people I interreact with do not know what the heck is going on at all. I am not saying any of these events will cause anything, I am saying do your own little survey, you will be completely amazed at the lack of give a crap about most anything....disconnected....

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yea it happens a lot to me too! Family members are even worse...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I know what you mean with them not really knowing what is going on. Even in the mainstream news or anything. Just look at how many people even know which party Obama represents or which country the U.S. separated from or where Georgia the counry is. Or even what Independance Day is in celebration of; heck I`m from Canada and can easily tell you all that but alot of people like to keep their head in the sand on even mainstream media articles as they have too many `personel problems` or really just don`t care. I work hospitality industry as well and while working you do encounter some doosies of characters.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

teslahowitzer
I am a manager in the hospitality industry, and I see and talk to many, many people everyday. Lots of times I will bait the conversation with a key word like "ISON" or grid drill or something recent and important. My count is probably 8% of anyone I have encountered have a small grasp or clue what I am refering to, mostly I get a 'what is that' reply. I have gotten answers to questions that were so far from the varifyable truth that it made me sick that people are that dumb and disconnected from reality. Are any more ATS members finding the same results? I have a college professor saying that the national debt is at 6 trillion and W spent every last dime of it. That the libs are trying hard to fix all of Ws screwups and it could take a generation or two to repair, Do you see this type of people in your arena??? Understanding the role that MSM plays in most sheep's lives, it seems that the majority of people fit this profile....therefore we are in for some ride...
no offense but if your a manager at a hotel or hostel it's probably part of ur job to chat up the guests as part of hospitality, while guests on the other hand might be too weary or busy to even want to waste time talking to you, even if they knew what you were talking about. You even posted yourself you have to "bait the conversation".

edit on 11/12/2013 by H34T533K3R because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

teslahowitzer

We are products of our enviornment, but I am not talking about beliefs or groups. I mean somewhere around 92% of the people I interreact with do not know what the heck is going on at all. I am not saying any of these events will cause anything, I am saying do your own little survey, you will be completely amazed at the lack of give a crap about most anything....disconnected....

And how have you quantified that 92%? To your own beliefs? To what you think people should know? That is the point...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

For instance; I love X but the people I interact with love Y; does that mean that Y has no care for X? You are connecting two ideas, while holding your idea superior, and proclaiming all those who do not "know" what you "know" to be unwashed....

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I will bait the conversation with a key word like "ISON" or grid drill

ISON is a comet right? I have no idea what a 'grid drill' is. I don't think I've ever even read the term.

I have gotten answers to questions that were so far from the varifyable truth that it made me sick that people are that dumb and disconnected from reality.

So if only 8% know what you're talking about, why be surprised at stupid questions? Why is someone dumb or disconnected from reality for not asking a 'varyfyable' (I'm sure most could spell that one) question? How would they know what's been varifyed?

People have different interests. People have different priorities. There are probably tens of millions of Americans alone (really low balling it) that are very bright and completely connected to reality that don't know or care about comet ISON. Conspiracy theory type folks are a very small but vocal minority.

Don't be so quick to climb on that high horse.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Regardless of my beliefs or whatever angle you are looking at... I am not asking political open ended questions, Basic standard regular information..... chatting up the stars to no end, looking for the opposite of what I see, please, I see that most people do not keep up with current events, big or semi big. Let me ask you a question, If the smartest person in your family did not know of ISON, the grid drill, 17 Trillion of national debt, just to name a few, would you think of them in touch??? And of my 92% figure, this is my survey, and this is why I started this thread as it has me puzzled. If you have all the answers, and not beliefs, ask people simple current questions, you will see what I am talking about. I am basing this on my views and experiences, not opinions of stance or my beliefs, I know the #s on the debt, and I believe the debt clock is where I can find it. Maybe you hang around people of the know.....

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Without sugar coating the content, Most of the people have never heard of ison, or the drill, but they knew some celebrity cut her hair and loved the new style and color, and on and on. This age of instant info and news, and most attention is directed at what? This is no horse, just an observation that many seem to be ok with, man am I on the wrong planet....

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I know nothing of the "drill" or much of what you speak of. Am I on the outskirts? Unknowing? Part of your 92%?

Does that make me any less knowledgeable? You are creating a bubble in which the "knowledgeable" have a home to chastise those who "do not" know....

That is my opinion of your post.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by H34T533K3R

As my job requires me to be around people all day every day, "chatting up" is normal. Some are here for a day or two and some for weeks, I am around these guests constantly. I once asked a guest about have you seen any ison photos? He said that this new band had not cut a cd yet. This guy works for a major corporation and convinced me that it was a new band (not) All of the time you spend looking for the latest on something you see as historical and very important does not mean that joeschmoe should also, I get that, But not even a clue? to me that is the very meaning of disconnected...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
could be they know and just don't talk about it, or play dumb. i know i don't talk to much about my views on some subjects in public, unless i know for sure that there are like minds around.
have you ever thought about how what your doing might effect your job or the company you work for.
i can hear people now, nice hotel but that desk manger is a right wing whacko!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is why:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

And my opinion is that you are taking this personally, and if you do not know of the grid drill, or know what ison is, or are 11 trillion off on the ND, then you are not paying attention to things that are historical,important,things that make a big difference, this is what my point is, I have no clue of your knowledge. Everyone has an opinion, and mine is amazed at the lack of giving a rat's rear by most people. And I call it like I see it, Come spend some time, watch and listen, or whatever, but I know others whom say the same things, and they do not search for the excuses....

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

teslahowitzer

And my opinion is that you are taking this personally, and if you do not know of the grid drill, or know what ison is, or are 11 trillion off on the ND, then you are not paying attention to things that are historical,important,things that make a big difference, this is what my point is, I have no clue of your knowledge.

Point made. I am not making it personal; you are. If people do not know what you know, you have cast them into some odd abyss as being the "unknowing". I am paying attention; save my attention is on that which I believe to be important...not you. Your views are held with regard and with respect on this end -- can you say the same for me?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join