It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mark Of A Christian

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Oh, this is perfect. And I have seen both present in Japanese anime, actually! Sometimes the Japanese are taken aback by how someone could be so caring and do so much work without being rewarded, they think they are crazy.

Other times, like in Samurai Champloo, the Christians meet in a secret cave under the mountain where they worship a gigantic statues of Jesus carrying a cross and produce rifles for a terrorist group. Wait... I actually have screenshots of them on A.T.S. because it was one of my favorite scenes ever.

It's hilarious and helpful to see that kinda stuff.
edit on 12pmTue, 12 Nov 2013 22:37:19 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 12pmTue, 12 Nov 2013 22:37:39 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 12pmTue, 12 Nov 2013 22:39:17 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 12pmTue, 12 Nov 2013 22:39:55 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 12pmTue, 12 Nov 2013 22:40:41 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Cool now please please tell me why precisely that is your favorite scene, ever?

To be honest I don't get the gun part, but the other is very amuzing, especially considering that the Japanese are by nature some of the most gentle and graceful people on the planet oh the irony!

In finding God there is always the potential for humor, that's what I've discovered, humor and tears and then more humor in whatever order provided it ends in a smile.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I like the scene because of the enthusiasm of the Christians, the statues of Jesus are gigantic and very expensive, which directly makes fun of the fact that idol worship was supposed to be prohibited in the Old Testament. The Christians are banding together in order to make guns for violence, which is directly opposed to the New Testament ruling regarding "The Golden Rule" and pretty much against what Jesus taught.

So they are cheering excitedly about it without even knowing enough about their own religion to realize they are going against it... it would be like Quakers getting together every week to have extensive LAN parties, or, I cant even think of any better example than those pictures.

Maybe South Park would have some good examples of how hypocrisy can be hilarious.

By the way, in the previous scene, there were some Japanese people who were acting strangely, so the Samurai tailed them to see what was going on.

I guess it would be like... well, there was this thread about aliens conspiring to genetically modify us to have three sets of teeth in the near future, and someone said they were going to invest in toothpaste, that's my kind of humor.
edit on 12pmTue, 12 Nov 2013 23:18:49 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 12pmTue, 12 Nov 2013 23:20:21 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

You might like the idea that Jesus both set and released himself from his own trap which was designed ultimately not to trap him, but the perps of violence against him via a type of double-reverse sting, double-bind, hoodwink, while holding in reserve for both himself and all his followers the very best of the best for last as a delay of gratification.

In other words that the cross and death and resurrection of Jesus Christ was and remains the greatest practical joke ever told at the expense of the devil (whether within or without in the depths of the human heart to wicked powers and principalities).

The idea of "Christians" being led to think that guns of violence might represent a ticket to heaven is quite absurd, yes, and as an allegory doesn't it reminds us of so much of so many Christians for whom their Christianity is like a weapon and a ticket to heaven, very good I get it now, thanks.

edit on 12-11-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I thought about it before pretty much the same way you mentioned it there, although I've never heard it said so clearly, and it is one of my favorite stories, actually.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

One of your favorite stories, I like that. It's a never ending story though, just so you know, because it contains in the resurrection life the evolutionary principal of eternal life and as I've come to discover, ever increasing eternal glory with love and mutuality.

edit on 12-11-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Ralphy
I will just get to the point and ask, what is the mark of a christian?

1. Belief
  2. Behavior
  3. Both
  4. Other

It would be a safe to assume actions speak louder than words and thus would be a good indicator of ones beliefs. The problem is that there are many who claim to be christian without any actions so I get confused. If someone just professes faith in their deity of love and walks by those in need with a proud face, how strong is their belief?

It seems like the "good book" spoke of action, the message that provokes action. Today is seems like the mark of a christian is judgment and a list of what is wrong with everyone and everything. So anytime I hear someone say they are a christian I think of someone who just sits on their ass and does nothing but judge and condemn. Now I know not every christian is like that and for those who aren't I applaud you but unfortunately you are a rare breed.

So I ask your opinion, what is the mark of a christian?

I suppose you are asking what exactly is a Christian?

John 6:28-29
28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”

29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

Simplest answer, those who believe in the one he has sent. So it starts with belief. Belief and repentance is the only requirement for salvation.

I must take the time to clarify that the meaning of repentance has been misunderstood in some parts of the Church. The literal meaning of the word is to changes ones mind. So when you hear people calling for someone to repent and be saved, it means to change your mind about your need for a savior and accept the pardon God offers sinners.

After you believe and are saved the Holy Spirit indwells within you(Ephesians1:13-14) and is responsible for cleaning up your act. Remember, the Holy Spirit is our Comforter and Counselor, not our controller.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

You realize that Jesus did tell us we could take up weapons to defend ourselves? Right?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Also, we are allowed to judge actions both in ourselves and others. Otherwise, how would we know what is right and wrong? If I determine that someone's actions are detrimental to my well-being, it's OK for me not to associate with them. A classic example would be for the recovering addict to stop associating with his prior associates who refuse to stop using in his presence. If he were not allowed to use judgment, it would be wrong to avoid them, and he would be at risk of falling back into old, dangerous behaviors due to the temptation.

We should not judge the person. I have no right to tell anyone that they are going to Hell. That is only for God to know and determine. People who tell others that they are going to Hell risk being judged as they were judged.

And anyone who wonders how it's possible to judge a person's actions without judging them has never seen the parents of a son or daughter who is in jail. Those parents love their children, visit them all the time, but can completely not be OK at all with what they did to wind up there.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

ketsuko
Also, we are allowed to judge actions both in ourselves and others. Otherwise, how would we know what is right and wrong? If I determine that someone's actions are detrimental to my well-being, it's OK for me not to associate with them. A classic example would be for the recovering addict to stop associating with his prior associates who refuse to stop using in his presence. If he were not allowed to use judgment, it would be wrong to avoid them, and he would be at risk of falling back into old, dangerous behaviors due to the temptation.

We should not judge the person. I have no right to tell anyone that they are going to Hell. That is only for God to know and determine. People who tell others that they are going to Hell risk being judged as they were judged.

And anyone who wonders how it's possible to judge a person's actions without judging them has never seen the parents of a son or daughter who is in jail. Those parents love their children, visit them all the time, but can completely not be OK at all with what they did to wind up there.

We are allowed to do anything we want. Does that mean we are supposed to do it? Using your analogy, you said that recovering addicts do not judge their old friends character, but only their choice to do drugs. This is an incorrect attribution. A recovering addict isn't making the choice to no longer associate with them based on a judgment of these peoples actions, but rather is judging the situation he would be put in and the temptation he would be subject to. It doesn't require him frowning upon others choices to make this decision. Yes, a judgement call was made, but not on the people. Instead a judgment call is made based upon a situation.

Your second paragraph I agree with completely, however I believe it applies to our actions as well.

Your second analogy doesn't make much sense either. Just because the parents disapprove of their son's actions doesn't mean they are making a judgment of what that action deserves or does not deserve. Judgement of people or their actions is wrong, and the should be left up to God IMO.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb

But it is a judgment. Not a judgment of the whole person, but of their action.

The parents do not judge the child, but they can, should, and do judge the crime to have been wrong. Otherwise, why aren't they out committing the very same crime every day?

The addict isn't judging the person, but they are judging the circumstance. Otherwise, the temptation of being in the same room with a using addict and the same drugs they are still so drawn to could very possibly draw them back down into addition.

In neither example does either the parent or the addict, say "you are going to Hell" for this. They are allowed to tell the other what they think. "You messed up, son, and now you have to take responsibility" or "I'm sorry, but as long as you continue to use, I can't hang out with you, or I might start using again." Some people would call those judgmental statements, and they are - of the circumstances or actions in question - but not of the people themselves.

Either way, it doesn't stop the addict or the parent from loving the other in question.

And, I guess, if I am not allowed to judge at all, any action. Then how am I supposed to ever raise my son? He does an awful lot of things wrong right now because he's less than 5. According to you, I shouldn't discipline him because I might be judging him.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb

And, I guess, if I am not allowed to judge at all, any action. Then how am I supposed to ever raise my son? He does an awful lot of things wrong right now because he's less than 5. According to you, I shouldn't discipline him because I might be judging him.

And define wrong for me?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

So anytime I hear someone say they are a christian I think of someone who just sits on their ass and does nothing but judge and condemn.

And just what is it you are doing here?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

RalphySo I ask your opinion, what is the mark of a christian?

(4. Other)

Answer = Faith

everything else stems from ones faith in the lord, including their deeds... ones "beliefs" can be skewed or not conveyed properly. But it is by faith alone in the lord Jesus Christ which you will find salvation.

edit on 14-11-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Should give this short article a read:

The Mark of the Christian ( www.ccel.us... )

top topics

<< 1   >>

join