It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Hadfield, Astronaut, We don't know what the universe is made of...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by onequestion

Imagine the universe like a bowl of jello in a big open space. The open space is outerspace and the jello is innerspace. You put a fire cracker in the jello and that's the big bang. It blows jello all out into outer space. So you have two universes. One is space dotted with matter and the other is matter dotted with space. Eventually all the jelli gets pulled back in the bowl and explodes again.

That's my jello theory.
As for what its made of... godssnot (that's my godssnot theory).

My brain as I read that:

Huh...

Wait... but what if - huh... hmmmm...

Oh, I see - wait, nope... hmmm... Ah! But what if-! No... or yes. No. Wait, totally.

Sounds as good as anything else I've read. "Jello GodSnot"... awesome.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Interesting video in it's entirety. Towards the end Rogan puts the guy on the spot regarding aliens and predictably he discounts any possibility that intelligent life ever visits Earth. His reason? Its "egotistical" to think that aliens would find Earth at all interesting. Rogan skillfully contradicts this idea. Good post

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

Imagine the universe like a bowl of jello in a big open space. The open space is outerspace and the jello is innerspace. You put a fire cracker in the jello and that's the big bang. It blows jello all out into outer space. So you have two universes. One is space dotted with matter and the other is matter dotted with space. Eventually all the jelli gets pulled back in the bowl and explodes again.

That's my jello theory.

That's an interesting theory, but who lit the firecracker?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

What a WONDERFUL POST!!! Thank you onequestion!

This reminds me of conversations i have with students in science programs and how they refer to what their learning as the end all be all to knowledge in the universe.

I'm also reminded of a lot of posters on ATS who think science has it all figured out.

I think this guy is credible when he says these things

Spot on!!! It's funny, we can debate science untile we have no more air to breathe and I know many on this board who are "Higher Educated" that would do so even in (to them "IF") the after life.

That said, we don't know everything about our own planet yet most claim to know more about the universe than the rock we live on that's circling a ball of flaming plasma.

Even funnier is the same posters are none to be seen in this thread. Ironic?

Anyway, thank you for posting this s&f~

Best regards,

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
"We" do not know what 95% of the Universe is? Interesting.

What if, just what if, really, what if there was a whole lot of "the Universe" that we cannot perceive with either the "eye" or the machines designed to mimic the eye?

It would seem that. "We" do not know what 95% of what we see is, and we know nothing about things that may exist beyond that 5% of what we can quantify using the tools that mimic our senses."

In fact, given what I just said it would be impossible, fully and completely impossible, for someone to know how all of that works together.

Yet, "We know" shows up in almost every single thread about everything. Only the ignorant make proclamations of absolution about such matters.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Wookiep

GogoVicMorrow

That's my jello theory.

That's an interesting theory, but who lit the firecracker?

Most here would say this:

Some would even say this:

Personally, I say this:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

The third option being the most logical of course.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
BEST JRE in a few weeks.

He also said "As I look at the earth from above, I know it cannot be by chance."

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

crankyoldman
"We" do not know what 95% of the Universe is? Interesting.

What if, just what if, really, what if there was a whole lot of "the Universe" that we cannot perceive with either the "eye" or the machines designed to mimic the eye?

It would seem that. "We" do not know what 95% of what we see is, and we know nothing about things that may exist beyond that 5% of what we can quantify using the tools that mimic our senses."

In fact, given what I just said it would be impossible, fully and completely impossible, for someone to know how all of that works together.

Yet, "We know" shows up in almost every single thread about everything. Only the ignorant make proclamations of absolution about such matters.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED.

It's irrational to pretend that knowing such a fraction of WHAT IS . . . we could "rival God" in our wisdom and knowledge. Absurd to the max.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Somewhere I once read a definition of the universe as:

'a lot of space and a little dirty hydrogen'

Works as well as any other definition.

I'm often amazed at how the religious go on and on trying to use 'god' to explain the dirty hydrogen, but somehow always neglect the creation of all that space as a conundrum worth considering.

Too bad astronaut guy couldn't come up with a more complex and thoughtful answer to whether aliens have visited or not. It's not necessary that an alien species find us fascinating; the whole planet has a bit more than just humans to offer... liquid water alone is rarer and worth more than gold.

edit on 1230411pmThursdayf30Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:30:12 -0600America/Chicago by signalfire because: addendum

edit on 3343411pmThursdayf43Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:43:33 -0600America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

onequestion

I have a theory to and it goes a little somethin like this.....(run dmc background)

The universe is an outward reflection of the mind.

Im still working out the rest.

I can agree with that but is each person's universe overlapping with other people's universe ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join