It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusually bright (brightening) object in the sky today.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

retracted

edit on 12-11-2013 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Well, the atmosphere can distort the light waves and make it appear to blink. I was told though that planets actually don't "twinkle" in the sky as stars do.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I do believe 100% that it is Venus. Beautiful! Everyone has been talking about it lately. Also the sun and moon move much quicker than Venus so yes it can appear to stay in that position longer. I dare someone to prove me wrong and I will so humbly apologize

Nice article
Venus

edit on 12-11-2013 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

Well.. this is twinkling. I took some video. When I say blink.. I mean 30 seconds its completely gone then back.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Interesting, I've never seen Venus do that. Perhaps it's something in the area that might appear to be Venus. Almost like hiding in plane sight.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think I found it...

Spica

As seen from Ohio state at 530pm looking SW

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

I think it is Venus. This was brighter than betelguesse, brighter than Sirius.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Are you sure it's SW, because Venus is on SE?
You could still see Venus facing roughly to the South.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I'm pretty positive. Ill check my compass again.

Yeah SW, and my star map shows Venus near where the Sun has set and the Sun sets in the west so Venus should be SW.
edit on 12-11-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Venus. Grew up in Cincinnati and always marveled at it while waiting for the bus this time of year. I point it out to my kids more often than they would like here in NJ now.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Ok, I stand corrected, messed up with time zones, it's glorius Venus.
According to my clock, it's 8:25 pm your time, right?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

It is now, yeah. The photos were taken around 530 though.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

OK Gogo, for clarification, there she is in the center of the cross hair...
As seen from South Salem, OH (wherever this town is, btw I'm from Europe, 6 hours ahead of you), 530pm your time, facing SW.

Thx

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Dat's Venus....Nov 01 was the brightest....it looks like a half moon at that point.....it's moving closer to us, too!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Starwise
Also the sun and moon move much quicker than Venus so yes it can appear to stay in that position longer. I dare someone to prove me wrong and I will so humbly apologize

Thats not true, to the extent that humans can readily detect.
From the point of view of somebody standing on earth watching the sky at sunset (as in the case of this thread), everything (sun, moon, stars, planets, asteroids, comets) will all move at the same rate.

There are minor differences from night to night, but on any one night its nigh on impossible for anybody to notice such things.

Edit - about the only exception would be the moon, if it is very near a bright star so that somebody could notice the minor difference in the relative positions over a large period of time.

edit on pmTuesdayfpm1 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Godfather1965
Venus. Grew up in Cincinnati and always marveled at it while waiting for the bus this time of year.

Venus isnt a "time of year" thing.
It follows its own orbital period around the sun and this is not sychronised with Earth's orbital time. It is high in the sky after sunset about every 19 months or so.
ie: there will be more "whats that bright thing in the evening sky?" threads about Venus in mid 2015.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The only thing in the sky like that in northern England I`ve observed lately is jupiter. It is by far, (after the moon which was extraordinarly large tonight) the brightest thing in the night sky at the mo.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
100% Venus. Congratulations on discovering a planet known since antiquity, the "morning star" and the "evening star", the Greek and Roman goddess of love. There is really no other celestial body (apart from the Moon and the Sun) that bright. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
Also I checked my star and planet apps and couldn't get an certain answer.
I considered Venus, but its so bright to be so early, and no movement in the sky plus the blinking? For both my dad and I to notice separately is weird.

Also any posters here that no me know this isn't my bag, nor is exaggerating or jumping to conclusions.

Venus is currently in the West and is the correct answer.
edit on 13-11-2013 by abeverage because: of swamp gas.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I almost made a thread last week when I saw something weird in the sky...

I thought it was a planet at first, but it was really bright and twinkly, and I didn't remember seeing that light in the sky previously (I smoke outside every night and look at the stars) so I kept looking at it...

Then I thought it was a plane because of its brightness and I also notice flashing colored lights on it...

Then it didn't move from the same spot for 30minutes...

Then I (and two other people) noticed white, blue, red and GREEN colored flashing lights. The green tripped me out because I've never seen a plane, blimp or helicopter with blue, white, green and blue flashing lights.

Went inside because I was tired of looking up at the sky... Came back out about 45 minutes later and the same flashing, nonmoving object was now in the east sky (clearly moved from its previous south position). And like I said before, this thing didn't move at all for more than a half hour.

Took a picture with my ipad, but it was worthless.

My final conclusion is that this object had to be a UFO. Flashing lights of green, blue, red and white. Object did not move at all, except for moving from the south to the east sky.

Can anyone think of something that flys, has flashing green lights and can hover in one spot for a while like this??
edit on 13-11-2013 by Euphony because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join