It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA is now Gotham City, the underclass....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Reuters...

There are an estimated 20 million felons in the United States, including 1.5 million now in prison, according to statistics provided by Uggen. About 5.6 million of them are forbidden to vote by state laws. Depending on where they were convicted, the other 13.4 million have either had their voting rights restored or never lost them, even when incarcerated.

The underclass... i think i just figured out whats wrong with the economy and why we have so many people on welfare and collecting food stamps.

Thats 20 million people who can't find a job and have no rights in our FREE country! 20 million people who are oppressed and deserve a second chance!

This is causing social damage and destruction. This is affecting every community, even the one your in. This is creating a problem that needs to be addressed in the USA.

I know what its like to be a felon, i am one myself. It doesn't make sense to me i can't logically understand why the system works the way it does its insane. We dont need an underclass in America, we dont need to emulate Gotham City.

WE NEED TO HELP PEOPLE NOT KEEP THEM DOWN THIS ISNT RUSSIA THIS IS THE UNITED STATES

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Depending on the felony, some should have been hung.
This would avoid that nasty no rights problem.
Back when justice got served, now we are a kinder and gentler America.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
What's wrong with Russia ?
edit on 12-11-2013 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

g146541

clearly a pompous response.

if those that should have been felons were, and those that shouldn't be weren't then you are part of the problem for thinking this way.

My issue is the system is designed to imprison/enslave people.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Can felons not vote? I thought I'd seen that somewhere, but that seems really messed up. Maybe it varies by state?

As for felons not being able to get a job, I assume that's because you have to disclose it on an application, and then the job is mysteriously filled, even if someone else isn't as qualified?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

HanzHenry

g146541

Really???
Do you enjoy financially supporting rapists and murderers for the rest of their natural lives?
And I am the problem?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

g146541

HanzHenry

g146541

Really???
Do you enjoy financially supporting rapists and murderers for the rest of their natural lives?
And I am the problem?

I was under the impression that a when a felon is released from prison that they are supposed to have 'served their time'. Is it reasonable to discriminate against someone for the rest of their life, possibly due to a youthful indiscretion?

Are the only people considered felons rapists and murderers? Don't get me started on the so-called 'War on Drugs', where alphabet agencies are implicated in distribution of those very same substances they are supposed to police, then imprisoning the lowest on the food chain who happen to be caught with said substances (or perhaps framed by police with quotas).

Seems to me like a self-perpetuating bottom feeding system, designed to prop up the building of private prisons, with a readily exploitable workforce (to compete with Asia/Mexico/other low wage paying countries) which furthermore creates an underclass with the potential to be shipped off back to prison quick-smart, especially if they cannot find gainful employment (and is it hard for felons to find employment?)

How easy is it to become a felon? Probably a lot easier than any of those "lock'em up" advocates could possibly imagine.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cuckooold

with the potential to be shipped off back to prison quick-smart, especially if they cannot find gainful employment (and is it hard for felons to find employment?)

How easy is it to become a felon? Probably a lot easier than any of those "lock'em up" advocates could possibly imagine.

No, no, no. There is 20 million really bad people in the us, in fact 1 in 15 people in the US are really bad people. They dont deserve to work, or have guns, in some cases vote, or whatever we choose because they have a background and we can do what we want to them in court.

Wait... that doesnt make sense. People actually make mistakes and noone in this world is in a position to judge anyone.

With this amount of people, the numbers tell us something and what their telling us is there is a cultural issue at hand.

--Oh yeah it makes it really hard to get a job. I know i am a felon from 2008. It hasnt been long enough yet but im telling it aint easy. I just want to be able to live normal again.
edit on 12-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I think the system is designed this way, and it's a nasty self-perpetuating system that benefits the powers that be. Keep wages down, keep the population fearful of those 'criminals' (obviously there must be something wrong with their genetics /sarcasm), and keep the private prison industry booming.

Although not in the U.S, it's frightfully easy to fall into the criminal justice system; nearly found myself implicated in a he says/she says situation with potential criminal charges. Fortunately a dumb client (myself) found a good lawyer (free through our Legal Aid) who told me exactly what was happening, what to do, and probably saved myself a lot of angst.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Yeah its crazy man. I actually deserved a little of what i got but not to this extent. I probably needed a good check i was a little out of crontrol when i was in my early 20's. But i think what i need now is a break so i can get my life in order. Bad credit, felony, i mean i have nothing right now its crazy and there isnt anything out there to help me figure this out either its a bad system.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I was under the impression that a when a felon is released from prison that they are supposed to have 'served their time'. Is it reasonable to discriminate against someone for the rest of their life, possibly due to a youthful indiscretion?

What is a good amount of time for a guy to spend who raped and then killed your sister, or let's just say he raped, or he just killed, What is the magic number for rehab?
Personally, I say hand em over to the family for a good ole fashioned lynchin.

Are the only people considered felons rapists and murderers?

No they are not, and I too think the "war on drugs" is a big lie as well
This is why I did not include most drug "offenders" in my post, large scale dealers, sure.
I just don't think we should pick up the cost for trash, murderers, rapists, bankers, lawyers.

I do mostly agree with you though.

No, no, no. There is 20 million really bad people in the us, in fact 1 in 5 people in the US are really bad people. They dont deserve to work, or have guns, in some cases vote, or whatever we choose because they have a background and we can do what we want to them in court.

20 million and 1 in 5 are a far cry apart when we are talking about the 330~360 million people in the US
Shame on you for trying to sensationalize on your own thread.

Wait... that doesnt make sense. People actually make mistakes and noone in this world is in a position to judge anyone.

Ummm...actually, I am.
I have been called for jury duty a few times as the PTB see me as a record free citizen.
I have never raped nor murdered.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I don't suppose you have ever looked into the stats, but murderers and rapists and a vanishingly small percentage of "felons."

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I just don't get it. You did your time and paid you debt to society. At least that is how I used to understand the American legal system.
Now it seems to breed criminals by not allowing a former felon to get their life in order. I recently saw the number of American incarcerated vs places like China and Russia. It was obvious that America has turned into a police state.

I hope someone gives you a chance. You paid your deby for whatever deed you did.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

A friend of mine brought up this very subject today and asked me if I had a solution. I answered him immediately that all lawyers should be thrown in prison, both the good and the bad. They are the ones who have mucked up common sense laws.

Nowadays, the chances are that EVERYBODY breaks a law at least once a day. Unless you're in a coma.

What did Billy Shakespear say? Let's kill all the lawyers, let's kill them tonight. (It was also in a Eagles song)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well, well, well. What kinds crap is this. 1 out of 15 are bad! More like 10 out of 15 are Lazy and want to live for free! Or if you like, the 10 live on credit knowing their is no way in Gods name they can pay it back!

Prison, what? Who said you had to put it down anyway? Just change the Time while you were gone to school or helping Mother at home, working self employed, broke both legs, ect... Unless it is a very high paying job all they look for is the gaps in time or what you did with in them years!

I was there for 4 yrs, and had the same job when I got out! Prisons are set up so one can either stay, or do something about it! Most like it since it is a free place to stay and the food is great! Now in TX, you have to work or more time is added, what I've heard anyway.

Their is some good people in them Prisons, just either hung out with the wrong crowd or got lost on their path. or took the fall for someone they cared about. Either way I really do not think You have a clue! You must have been sent to a camp! Or some half-way house!

When I got my papers, my parole officer told me Thank You! Last one was 5 yrs ago he gave to another. As for finding a job, never have I had any problems! No one really Wants to actually earn their money, how I see it anyways! And if they are working, most of them are plain Lazy with some unknown title to say what they do, Nothing!

Is it me noticing this or am I mad? People like you keep this crap in peoples heads so the good ones out there at least trying to correct the mistakes, you make it harder for them!

You must be perfect, sweet and do no wrong yet you Were in Camp Right? Try 23hr in a room by yourself, or in a yard for 2hrs with all the really crazys out there! Or in a cell of 5 and 2 on the floor, city jail!

Real Soul Teachings there! Shame though, got that time for not spilling the beans! And here your mouth is wide open!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

You really think its that easy? Are you crazy? You did 5 years in prison and got out and got the same job??? Do you work for your father?

Prison, what? Who said you had to put it down anyway? Just change the Time while you were gone to school or helping Mother at home, working self employed, broke both legs, ect... Unless it is a very high paying job all they look for is the gaps in time or what you did with in them years!

Can you make that make sense please?

People like you keep this crap in peoples heads so the good ones out there at least trying to correct the mistakes, you make it harder for them!

How can what im saying make anything harder for anybody? Is this an admission that people in this position do actually have a hard time? I dont collect anything i work my ass off for nothing and you better believe im not lazy.

Spilling the beans about what??? You have no idea your assuming everything.

The end of your post lets me know where your at and who you are.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

20 million people who are oppressed and deserve a second chance!

I tend to agree that many people with a felony deserve a second chance. Are you going to take into account the high rate of recidivism seen with felons though? Many get more than one second chance. I know there are of course a ton of people that make a big mistake in their younger years and turn their lives around, but there are also quite a few who go back to their old tricks again.

OP it seems to me you're making this too black and white, kind of like the folks who say all felons should lose rights. There needs to be a shade of gray. I don't want murderers and rapists voting and not being vetted for jobs. I also don't want people with non violent felonies essentially forced to not work. It is a burden for the taxpayer. Then again were I a business owner, I wouldn't want to hire someone who had on more than one occasion stolen from their employer...

We all make mistakes. I have a DUI, and in my opinion it is a more serious offense than stealing X amount of merchandise or selling/possessing X amount of 'stuff'. The only reason it's not viewed more seriously is that so many people (including politicians and their families) end up getting DUIs. My point here is that there are a lot of felonies that really don't endanger anyone, and can be attributed to desperation, youthful dumbassery etc. I agree people that commit 'petty' felonies should be given a second chance. I don't agree that ALL should. I also don't know where we should draw the line, so I understand how it's easy to draw it at felony.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join