It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*very* mysterious mound in Russia. a cone where no cone should ever be!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

you beat me to the punch buy just a few seconds...lol...well at least were thinking on the same wavelength

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

11andrew34
This area was covered by glaciers during the previous ice age, which makes it likely to be a glacial landform of some sort. And obviously, it wasn't there before the previous ice-age, or at least, the rock pile wasn't. Perhaps the depression is an old meteorite crater? But even that wouldn't have been necessary to explain it.

As the glacier melted, streams formed, some of them short lived. A short lived stream may have transported and deposited rocks in this pattern, perhaps off a small waterfall coming off a glacier, say a ~20ft wall of ice just above it. You can see the formation is not perfectly circular; it's oriented with the slope. Larger/heavier rocks piled up in the middle where the water fell. Smaller rocks scattered radially, pushed from that center by the water flow. That's the easy part to guess.

This location is relatively close to the source of the alpine glacier. It would have begun to form at the end of the life of the glacier. So here's my guess at how the cone formed:

The formation began at the base of a waterfall off the ice wall of a glacier. The base level of this formation formed first. The heaviest rocks remained in the center where they fell, and smaller rocks were pushed from the center into a ring. As the glacier melted, the ice wall retreated, and so the place where the water fall hit the ground traveled uphill over time. Also, as the glacier was in its last years, the average flow rate decreased from year to year, and the drop of the falls became shorter. With less water flowing and less far to drop, the energy to scatter rocks is gradually decreasing. Thus the radius of the ring becomes shorter over time, as the center point travels uphill, explaining the cone shape, and smaller rocks can increasingly remain in the center instead of being scattered out to the ring wall. The final central rock pile is the final landing spot for the waterfall that created this formation.

One thing I'd add though is that the rock pile is supposedly all limestone. Limestone is very susceptible to weathering. I'm not sure if it's unusual for a pile of limestone to have lasted so long there. This could have formed maybe a few thousand years ago. But maybe as it's from the last days of the glacier, it's not such an old formation.
edit on 12-11-2013 by 11andrew34 because: grammer

It is only a few hundred years old and how do you explain

What is perhaps important to note, is that along the edges of the crater radioactivity is measured, as well as scientists have no explanation.

www.grenswetenschap.nl...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

rickymouse
AAhh. so that is where they hid that ancient weapon that rises out of the ground and shoots meteorites or other earth threats. I guess it shot that meteor down over Russia in the early nineteen hundreds. When it goes back in the ground it makes a thing like that.

I've been reading too much science fiction on the web.

Love this quote

Since the discovery of the crater, it suggests that the nature pimple is caused by the impact of a spacecraft, some even say two. Obviously this theory scientists write down as legends of the ignorant masses.

www.grenswetenschap.nl...

So there you have it, it is a "Nature Pimple"!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yes. The formation is apparently up to 250 years old.

Strange thing...local pilots say they flew over the area a few time but never noticed it before. But, I guess that's plausible, depending on the altitude or angle of flight.

Anyway...really interesting find.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Lil Drummerboy
looks like a cinder cone to me,.
ever been on a volcano?
you can see them on most volcanoes, In Hawaii for example they are all over the volcano in odd places
where old vents broke out
en.wikipedia.org...

hmm radioactive volcanoe slink.springer.com...-1

here is more on radio active lava rock www.fukuleaks.org...
edit on 12-11-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: lots of info out there if one looks for it

If you look at page one of this thread a few posts down OmegaSynthesis has a picture there up close. I live near many cinder cones and have climbed many volcanos. The rock is all wrong as you can see in that photo, it does look more like what you see in glacial deposits or in quarries.

And from this article

And another mystery - a semi-circular dome cavity with a diameter of 15 meters in the centre of a crater. In volcanoes, even extinct, such domes cannot exist.'

siberiantimes.com...
edit on 13-11-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

It was experimentally proved that some cylindrical object lies under the Patomsky crater and the length of this object is about ten meters.

From the OP.

No information about this "experiment". I don't get it. Experimentally proved ?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
It's a mini cinder cone. It's a result of past volcanic activity. I climbed one myself many years ago in Northern California up in Lassen National Park. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by happyzodiac

I would say that it must of been a volcano that just didn't grow up because If you look at the picture it looks as though there is one plate pressing against another. Just a thought.

hm...not a bad theory...indeed some plates seem to connect there.

But the baby volcano doesn't explain other curiosities. Like super growth of the surrounding trees which is mentioned in the article.

I just love a good mystery.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

SheopleNation
It's a mini cinder cone. It's a result of past volcanic activity. I climbed one myself many years ago in Northern California up in Lassen National Park. ~$heopleNation

Well, I just looked up cinder cone pics...and I'm not so sure about that. The main thing...there is no protruded "egg shape" thingy...whatever it is.

Also...

and the area is considered to be fully non-volcanic – there are no volcanoes around for thousands of kilometers, even old and extinct ones.

and....

The geologist Vadim Kolpakov

I guess him being a geologist, not a UFO hunter, would probably be able to identify a cinder cone. I think it's right up his alley.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

jammer2012
reply to post by abeverage

you beat me to the punch buy just a few seconds...lol...well at least were thinking on the same wavelength

Sorry!

It is strangely reminiscent though so I am glad to see I am not the only one thinking this!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

This brings to mind couple documentaries watched about other strange metallic objects found in Siberia region that have now sunk below the surface. Several expeditions would end in strange illness and circumstances.

Very interesting stuff and I wonder if they are not somehow connected. Also a complete expedition was killed, ripped apart, aged, very strange stuff.

This is a very large area, many thousands of miles but there does appear to be allot of paranormal and crazy stuff happen there.

Wonder how far the metal acorn sites are from this site.

The Bot

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

MarioOnTheFly
Like super growth of the surrounding trees which is mentioned in the article.

Yep, Volcanic activity enriches the soil which increases forest growth.

Well, I just looked up cinder cone pics...and I'm not so sure about that. The main thing...there is no protruded "egg shape" thingy...whatever it is.

It's called gravel.

Also...

and the area is considered to be fully non-volcanic – there are no volcanoes around for thousands of kilometers, even old and extinct ones.

Do you understand how mountain ranges are formed? What is going on beneath the surface is another story.

I guess him being a geologist, not a UFO hunter, would probably be able to identify a cinder cone. I think it's right up his alley.

Nah, it's more like calling it what it is doesn't get your name mentioned in an article. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Nah, it's more like calling it what it is doesn't get your name mentioned in an article

yeah. He organized an expedition of a cinder cone. There is chopper time to pay...equipment and manpower. Not to even mention remoteness of the site.

Just to get in Irkutsk daily...sure. After that...sky is the limit career wise once his discovery is pronounced a cinder cone...which he missed during his experimentations.

Yeah. Makes sense.

It's called gravel.

good one. Your perception hasn't failed you yet.
edit on 13-11-2013 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

SheopleNation

You will perhaps remember the material making up the cinder cone you climbed, they are made up of very fine material, granular, ash and small stuff not huge chunks of cracked rock with sharp edges.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

freestonew
hi all.

on englishrussia.com, I found this blog post and the link.

englishrussia.com...

yet another mystery in the deep Siberia lands. Alien artifact, ancient cultures, or soviet recent secret-stuff?!

I present this all to you all....freestone

Looks for me like the debris from the twin towers just left there.
BTW, I don't believe in the mound age, it is just an incoherent assumption, no old pics, you don't know if this debris from 9/11 was recently poured, so in that case the surrounding trees ages are pointless.
For the people asking how you transport 130,000 tons of debris from USA to Russia this is simple:
First Experimental Teleportation of material. Wouldn't be safe to teleport useless debris instead of a human being in their first experiment ever of this kind? Well, no aliens here.

edit on 1111 13 1313 by theclarificator55555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I know that there are North Koreans being held in Siberia working in the logging industry and that there are a lot of diamond camps in Siberia. The camps with the slaves are denied by everyone but Vice Report went and filmed the camps.

I wrote about N Korean Slaves at the Siberian mines here, it is fiction but based on a lot of research.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This video came to mind too, at the mention of a cylinder underneath.
edit on 13112013 by Tsu322 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13112013 by Tsu322 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

I think this is the direction people should be looking.

As someone with geologic education beyond Google and wikipedia, I can plainly see that this is not a dormant or extinct volcano. A volcanic cone forms as lava cools and solidifies around a vent. Even after millennia of weathering and erosion, a cone would not develop this loose, gravelly appearance. As others have mentioned/quoted, the mound in the center is also inconsistent with extinct volcanoes.
That does not necessarily mean it isn't the result of some rare, unknown natural process, however...

Like others, my first thought was some sort of impact crater or tunneling.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenMindedRealist

There are a lot of slag heaps where I live and I see them every day on the way to work. The heaps here are from coal mines and a lot darker than the heap in the pics but it looks like the exact same shape but bigger.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I asked my cousin the gopher what he thought. He said it definitely looks like a gopher hole. He remembered hearing of monstrous gofers in folklore going back a hundred or more generations....That is approximately 250 years

Case solved, that is the top of the gophers skull in the center. He had a crate of muskets in his mouth when last seen.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenMindedRealist

The form is very similar to Gopher mounds, where a solid object (gopher) comes UP from below and then back DOWN leaving a center mound. You can often see a line around the top or a swirl which is also on this cone.
No I am not suggesting a giant gopher made it only some similar processes.

edit on 13-11-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join