It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*very* mysterious mound in Russia. a cone where no cone should ever be!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This area was covered by glaciers during the previous ice age, which makes it likely to be a glacial landform of some sort. And obviously, it wasn't there before the previous ice-age, or at least, the rock pile wasn't. Perhaps the depression is an old meteorite crater? But even that wouldn't have been necessary to explain it.

As the glacier melted, streams formed, some of them short lived. A short lived stream may have transported and deposited rocks in this pattern, perhaps off a small waterfall coming off a glacier, say a ~20ft wall of ice just above it. You can see the formation is not perfectly circular; it's oriented with the slope. Larger/heavier rocks piled up in the middle where the water fell. Smaller rocks scattered radially, pushed from that center by the water flow. That's the easy part to guess.

This location is relatively close to the source of the alpine glacier. It would have begun to form at the end of the life of the glacier. So here's my guess at how the cone formed:

The formation began at the base of a waterfall off the ice wall of a glacier. The base level of this formation formed first. The heaviest rocks remained in the center where they fell, and smaller rocks were pushed from the center into a ring. As the glacier melted, the ice wall retreated, and so the place where the water fall hit the ground traveled uphill over time. Also, as the glacier was in its last years, the average flow rate decreased from year to year, and the drop of the falls became shorter. With less water flowing and less far to drop, the energy to scatter rocks is gradually decreasing. Thus the radius of the ring becomes shorter over time, as the center point travels uphill, explaining the cone shape, and smaller rocks can increasingly remain in the center instead of being scattered out to the ring wall. The final central rock pile is the final landing spot for the waterfall that created this formation.

One thing I'd add though is that the rock pile is supposedly all limestone. Limestone is very susceptible to weathering. I'm not sure if it's unusual for a pile of limestone to have lasted so long there. This could have formed maybe a few thousand years ago. But maybe as it's from the last days of the glacier, it's not such an old formation.
edit on 12-11-2013 by 11andrew34 because: grammer

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ok also on this page you can see a photo showing another good aerial angle.

www.grenswetenschap.nl...

You can see where a stream flowed to the top of this formation. I think after the glacier was gone, a stream continued on the ground along the same path (a path downcut through the glacier). Except then when it got to this formation, there was a rock wall in the way, so it split in two and flowed around the borders of this formation, which would cause erosion to further exaggerate the cone shape by creating channels along its borders.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

here is a link to a VERY good article about this crater. the writer treats this thing very well, not "pooh-pooing" it.

radioactivity for 40 years. cannot be volcanic, cannot be a meteorite.
*required reading*!

siberiantimes.com...

and another link to an interesting article.
runknown.com...

runknown.com...

very mysterious indeed.
very very hard to get to, also.

freestone

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
looks like a cinder cone to me,.
ever been on a volcano?
you can see them on most volcanoes, In Hawaii for example they are all over the volcano in odd places
where old vents broke out
en.wikipedia.org...

hmm radioactive volcanoe slink.springer.com...-1

here is more on radio active lava rock www.fukuleaks.org...
edit on 12-11-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: lots of info out there if one looks for it

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It looks like a giant stereo speaker.... That's weird

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

freestonew

here is a photo.

freestone

I would say that it must of been a volcano that just didn't grow up because If you look at the picture it looks as though there is one plate pressing against another. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

You`re right in thinking that it`s not really that old as the article states that it`s estimated to be around 250 years old only. Interestiong that you wasy that whatever made the impact was slow and deliberate as they say that there is something cylindrical under the surface.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
AAhh. so that is where they hid that ancient weapon that rises out of the ground and shoots meteorites or other earth threats. I guess it shot that meteor down over Russia in the early nineteen hundreds. When it goes back in the ground it makes a thing like that.

I've been reading too much science fiction on the web.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Even though I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for this geological dimple, it really looks like something crashed there and then tunneled into the ground creating the dome by displacing the tailings behind itself. Sort of like a mole does.

Very interesting information in the OP's link!

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Tibet and central Asia were the primary population centers of Arya people, whose population radiated out to Ukraine and Russia.

There are buried artifacts from this civilization in many places, most in Tibet. The Tibet was abandoned by Arya people more than 10M years before due to climate change when last of them moved to South Asia (rise of Tibet and conversion to cold desert). Arya people were agriculturists, so preferred to live in a warmer wetter climate.

Vedic tradition establishes human population on earth from 2 billion years ago. Many species of animals have come and gone, but humans have been a constant presence, though human numbers have greatly fluctuated on earth.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Clearly a giant Antlion's den!

In all seriousness for a moment, whatever formed this is STILL under there I would say, or there is a massive cavern beneath the surface. There are no roads, and no sign of anything industrial near it so either it was all dumped from helicopters (that's a LOT of loads!), or something drilled into the earth and that something has a displacement very near the volume of rock visible!

Eerie.

edit on 12-11-2013 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

freestonew

here is a photo.

freestone

That is the largest mole hill I have EVER seen!

First one to catch that critter wins photo of the year award!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

It couldnt be from a glacier though as they have stated that there is very little growth on the mound itself suggesting it formed in recent history, 100s of years not 10k. I think it is a piece of the tungusta meteor but not the direct hit, the tungusta meteor was an air burst meteor and it either blew a chunk of rock out that landed here or I think that a piece of it blew off when it bursted and landed here, since theres a metallic anomaly under the ground and that would account for the slower speed as it lost most of its momentum when it blew apart. If not that then Aliens did it

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

FORGET WHAT I HAVE JUST POSTED ABOVE, this is definetly an oblique impact craper of some kind

An impact toilet....Surely not...

Seriously, I wonder what this long cylinder is, time to excavate methinks..

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

happyzodiac

freestonew

here is a photo.

freestone

I would say that it must of been a volcano that just didn't grow up because If you look at the picture it looks as though there is one plate pressing against another. Just a thought.

it's a geo-zit.

lol!

it's been discussed before, here.

i don't know what it is.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

freestone,

Patomsky crater is a buried space ship.

In Russia, the Valley of Death holds many secrets.

www.forteantimes.com...

hiuth

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Ok that was really cool and although it does "appear" to be volcanic it is most interesting!

Thank you bringing this to my attention. Could this also be the "Ancient Defense System" known as the The Cauldrons?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I posted this in a similar thread. Although tongue in cheek, it's worthing discussing I think.

In the show fringe, there were 'watchers' who were inner-dimenional/ time travelers from what we would perceive as the future but a different timeline. They go back to ensure there is no interuption to the timeline even though they are guilt themselves.

anyway...I thought this unusual:

nablator

Whatever it is, it's very interesting...

I can't be only one thinking this:

Fringe "Observer Cylinder"

Art imitating life or happy coincidence? Haha
edit on 12-11-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Cool Find Starred and flagged..I wonder if this mound has any thing to do with the Siberia's Vally of Death and its mysterious mounds...There is another really cool thread on the mounds www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Looks like it could be man made. I doubt it is anything supernatural.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join