It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Five Bombs at Citibank, Banco Galicia Buildings in Buenos Aires

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Two Citibank buildings in Buenos Aires, Argentina were rocked by bomb explosions this morning. The explosive device at the second Citibank branch was discovered before it detonated; the building was cleared and the bomb was destroyed by the bomb squad. A third bomb detonated at a Banco Galicia branch. At least one person - a 38 year old security guard at Citibank - is confirmed dead and an unknown number are injured. Officials are saying that the bombs appear to be homemade. There have been no claims of responsibility yet. Two additional explosive devices were found and detonated at other branches before they could cause any harm.

Reuters
An explosion at a branch of Citibank in Buenos Aires on Wednesday killed one security guard, police said.

"There were two artifacts -- just one exploded. The second one must have been detonated by the fire squad," Police Chief Francisco Santos Miglino told reporters at the scene, adding that the security guard at the bank had died.

An explosion also hit a branch of Argentine bank Banco Galicia in Buenos Aires on Wednesday, but no injuries were immediately reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is believed to be a result of terrorism.

This story is still developing.

Argentina has been the target for terrorist activities in the past. Bombings in 1992 (Israeli Embassy) and 1994 (Jewish community center) are believed to have been the work of terrorist group Hezbollah.
fas.org

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Who is believed to be responsible for this??
Islamic terrorists?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Unknown at this time, this is still breaking....

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Well, let's review. Contrary to what a lot of folks are misled to believe here, the U.S. has been working hard to become less dependent on middle-eastern oil. The larger percent of the U.S.'s oil imports now come from South America...Venezuela, Brazil, Mexico and Argentina.

Wouldn't surprise me any to see attempts to cripple the South American economy, the import infrastructure, and even the oil industry in these countries.

There are many Islamic groups calling for a oil embargo on the U.S....problem is with the way the U.S. has moved the majority of its import away from that area, it wouldn't cause the "negative impact" to the U.S. economy that the 70's embargo caused....so, you have to lay your groundwork.

There may be nothing to my speculation here - other than the facts are that this is one of the top countries for U.S. oil supply. That's irrefutable.

[edit on 11-17-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Where ? Nothing on CNN or BBC yet.....

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Sorry - I just saw that you quoted Reuters....will check that out....sorry!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Here's where the definition of terrorism is blurred, in my opinion. These targets are obviously symbolic, in protest possibly to the global economic push. I'm pretty sure that Citibank is the world's largest bank. But it seems to me that hitting these targets isn't intended to terrorize lots of people, but more of a statement against globalism and corrupt banking markets. Either way, this won't hurt Citibank in the least.

[edit]Also, Val, is it Argentina or Venezuela that Japan gets most of their oil from?

[edit on 17-11-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sarahko
Where ? Nothing on CNN or BBC yet.....

We never run an ALERT or an ALARM on ATSNN unless we have either live eyewitness(es), a live TV report, or other solid information.
FOX news is running a TV alert on it, if you have access to it.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I was just thinking everything seems to be quiet around the world.

Il be waiting for any follow ups on this, but dont understand enough at the moment to comment on anything.

Keep us updated you reporters!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Apparently a third bank has been hit!

If this is an act of terrorism this maybe just the beggining of something much bigger as the day goes on!

www.reuters.com...;jsessionid=KVRIRHMDTTWSQCRBAEZSFEY?type=topNews&storyID=6841716

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Just reported on Fox News, 5 banks total have been reported being hit. This is getting worse by the minute

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Poor Argentina, like their economy isnt fecked up enough.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This from Fox

It wasn't immediately clear whether the blasts were carried out by an international terrorist network such as Al Qaeda, or by local groups. Citibank has been named in Al Qaeda documents as a target for attacks

Argentina Bank Bombings (Fox)

If it is confirmed that it was AQ that carried out these attacks then i think its time to start worrying.

Or it could be the other terrorist group, i just have a feeling this is a start of worse things to come.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Just my 2 cents here, but It seems to me, ALQ had targeted Citibank for Bombings in the US, and to see a silver cloud in this, perhaps our security has prevented them from doing inside the US, which is why they defaulted to an easier target.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
ZZZZZZZ, is this all al-quaeda can muster? pretty pathetic if you ask me, infact i bet its got nothing to do with them ,it s just everything terror related these days gets piled with them. I dont see why theyd do this either, noone in the US really *profanity removed*.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Citibank got tossed out of japan entirely last month for failing to do an adequate job of watching for money laundering, etc., and likewise in latin america it's been known to assist in money-laundering operations as well:

www.worldpress.org...

My guess is this is domestic unrest / unhappiness and probably not islamic terrorism; in any case, we'll know soon enough once someone takes the credit (or gets the blame pinned on them).

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I dont think its AQ actually, its probably something to do with the Asian Pacific Economic Conference summit, scheduled for this weekend in neighboring Chile.

Although no group has claimed this attack the reason is still yet to unfold.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Calm down please,they were just small pipebombs, just some crazy people making an anti-american statement. Argentina indeed was struck twice with car bombings, one target was the Israeli embassy on March 17th 1992 killing 35 people ,and the AMIA, a jewish comunnity building on July 18th 1994 killing 89 people

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Maybe it was a sophisticated dry run? Maybe this will be the start of a few other 'smaller' attacks, leading up to the grand finale sometime around the inaguration.

Keep everyone scared through Christmas, bomb an embassy in Africa or south east ASia. Then bring it home to the US in the spring.

i truly hope i am wrong, but the pure fact is that the last OBL tape was 'censored' and not aired,and I think there was something on there to cause mass hysteria. Why else not show it.....jsut my 3 cents worth...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Thats what they get for importing muslims into their country. Terrorist's it's their own doing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join