It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is our money? Read and I'll tell you...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
(I AM IN NO WAY ADVOCATING ANYTHING THIS THREAD WAS CREATED TO DISCUSS A VERY SERIOUS ISSUE REGARDING POLICIES IN THE UNITED STATES PLEASE DISCUSS ACCORDINGLY)

PLEASE KEEP THE DISCUSSION CLEAN THIS TOPIC NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED

NY Times

Whitehouse.gov

DOJ

GFintegrity.org

Vera.org

“Poor Mexico,” its former president Porfirio Díaz is said to have remarked. “So far from God and so close to the United States.”

If that doesn't tell you something then what will?

I feel bad for Mexico, South America, and the Middle East because our policies are destroying much of their countries.

But whats that have to do with America going broke? Oh just wait because im going to show you America biggest problems, and no its not welfare, or food stamps, or Obamacare, sorry to disappoint you but your wrong.

Justice Department, that Colombian and Mexican cartels reap $18 billion to $39 billion

39 billion? I remember reading a thread recently quoting 50 billion.... thats not including illegal immigrants coming here and sending cash and goods to Mexico.. that number has to be in the high 100 millions.

But im only talking about the Mexican drug cartels, what about La Cosa Nostra, and the Russian mob? No bikers don't count because they and spend their money the US, not advocating just not including.

How much money are we really losing to this? Lets throw some more numbers out there and take a look.....

Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 National Drug Control Budget demonstrates commitment to these goals, requesting $25.6 billion to reduce drug use and its consequences in the United States. This represents an increase of $415.3 million (1.6%) over the FY 2012 enacted level of $25.2 billion.

So on top of the low estimate of 39 billion, we now have to add 25 billion more now totaling 64 billion. Ok not bad... oh but wait...

How much does it cost us a year to imprison the 2.5 million Americans who are incarcerated and not producing in the US?

Among the 40 states that participated in a survey, the cost of prisons was $39 billion in fiscal year 2010

By my guess thats a low estimation..... but theres more to the story...... and by the way we are at 103 billion a year YES BILLION!!!

Man... i don't even know. There are costs im not even factoring in such as court fees, lawyer fees, the 100 different federal agencies, tasks force, police force and everything else involved. This is just incredible. With the money we spend on this ridiculous christian conservative policy we could have rebuilt the entire infrastructure in the USA, saved Mexico, Afghanistan, and South America from war and atrocity, while simultaneously employing everyone whos jobs would be lost.

WE HAVE TO RETHINK WHAT WERE DOING HERE. We have a solution thats worse then the actual problem and we need to get serious about changing things here in the USA before we lead the rest of the world down this continued path of destruction.

I just dont know what to think.

I am leaving out a lot here and i have only included small amounts of information, the total scope of this issue is unknown to me. This issue affects us culturally, financially, and in every other way i can think of.
edit on 12-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

So to be clear, you are saying if we freed all of our prisoners and abandon all agencies looking for criminals, this will propel us to a better level financially? I think there are better options that don't include putting rapists and murderers back on the streets....

IMHO of course

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Are we even in the same conversation here?

Whats anything in this thread have to do with rapist and murders?

You realize most crime is due to poverty and related to the explicit nature of the drug trade right?

THERE IS NO WAY you could have read all those articles and understand the scope of what im talking about in 30 seconds.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Can you imagine having ten billion bucks in one dollar bills in your house. You would have to rent an apartment to live in. What do those drug cartels do with all that cash? Maybe one of these guys could send me a little to make room for more.

I swear IRS, I will give you the tax that is required if this happens....(I had to say that just in case they are watching.)

That is neat, cartels now have CEOs. I guess they got tired of being called drug lords.

edit on 12-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

LOL.

I don't know. Its funny how we never read stories about finding the money isn't it?

Seems a little suspicious to me..

I didnt even bring up known illicit agency involvement because thats pointless. That problem changes with policy.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Sure I can.....You are clearly speaking about the prison system and how we spend waay too much money on them....I do not disagree with you one bit there.....But to abolish this because it could save us billions?? Come on......We can cut the salary of every person in government positions by $1,000 a year and come up with this number....

I am not saying you are wrong, there are ways to fix it....But I don't see this as an answer to anything good.

The prison system is flawed, yes....But not enough to abandon it because of money, imho again of course!

There are better ways....
edit on 11/12/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Im not talking about abolishing the prison system that would be ridiculous.

Please engage yourself logically in this thread.

Did you read anything else in the thread or is all you got out of it abolishing the prison system?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Chrisfishenstein
So to be clear,

Apparently not!

Chrisfishenstein
you are saying if we freed all of our prisoners and abandon all agencies looking for criminals,

That wasn't said anywhere.

Chrisfishenstein
I think there are better options that don't include putting rapists and murderers back on the streets....

To be clear... so far nobody disagrees with you there.

Re-read the post. It's about the drug war, not the prison system.

(post by InverseLookingGlass removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm with you 100%. I can't think of anything else to say without risking breaking tnc, but it should be obvious that our nation will cease to exist as long as we allow all these profits to fall into the hands of cartels and continue spending so much to not even put a dent in the problem.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Thats exactly what im talking about. This not only empowers our enemy but destroys our future.

Inverse could you be so kind as to edit out the first paragraph of your post? Id really like to see this discussion happen based on numbers and policy?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The war on poverty, the war on drugs, the war on terror. None of these things have ever worked. Personnaly I think it is designed that way. From our point of view its all a waste, for government and its agencies its a huge cash cow.

The war is really on the people and the government is the true "enmity".

(post by undo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Imagine a UFO, parked in the sky above America. It's just sitting there motionless. Minding its own business. It's too high up to interfere with our airliners and too low to interfere with satellites. In fact, all types of radio waves and sattelite beams just go right through it so everything works just normal. It does not even cast a shadow. It somehow takes the suns light and beds the light around the edges of the craft and on down to earth as if it were not there. The only thing is its huge and you can see it from every place in the lower 48 states, and some of Canada and Mexico. But this post is about how America deals with it...

It would be no real problem at all, but it is starting to effect peoples behavior. Some people are addicted to staring at it. Some lose their jobs, it begins to effect their relationships, because some people are totally against this thing and will not associate with anyone who is interested in it. Some people even give you a dirty look for even mentioning it. Others fear it and begin to exhibit psychological conditions. Some even go nuts and kill people. Others fight over the best spots to view the craft. People make a business out of renting out their rooftops or other areas where it can be viewed the best. Others start religions based around it. Eventually these problems lead the united states to declare war on the object. Billions upon billions are spent on trying to destroy the craft, and putting those in jail who spend too much time looking at it, and those who make money from assisting in better viewing of the object...

But no matter what weapons are used on it, they cannot get it to go away or die. Even the most powerful weapons dissapear after hitting its force field, which is only visible when something hits it. A small blemish appears on the forcefield which heals instantly. In fact, the only way you can even tell it was blemished was by using a very high speed camera.

And it seems you cannot stop people from looking at it, worshipping it, whatever they want. No matter how many people they imprison, no matter how stiff the penalty, the people who wanted to look at it, keep on doing so.until THEY decide they wish to stop. The gov even limited the power of,and ability to purchase, telescopes and binoculars. They cannot stop the problem. Certain churches that begun are found exempt due to freedom of religion, but there were many stipulations. You had to prove you were related to the people who first began to participate in these religions. Among other restrictions. Most people just continued looking at it the way they always had,but were more careful. Telescopes were disguised as other things. People found ways to hide their activities and ways to track the police movements. Even high ranking politicians and members of agencies designed to fight the war sometimes were caught accepting bribes, or participating in viewing parties themselves.

Then one rather insightful politician decided to speak out on the futility of this "war". He/she said that if we continue on the path we are on, we will spend ourselves into nonexistence... And its not worth it because we are not even making a dent in the problem. Billions of dollars in weapons are wasted each year trying to destroy it. Many people are serving long sentences, and coming out even worse criminals than before. Not to mention the damage done to the children who lose a mom or dad during the first 10-20 years of their life, when they need them the most.

He or she said, why don't we use this money to educate people and do more research on this craft so we can at least help those with psychological issues and prevent further viewing addicts from ruining their lives over it. We can still make it illegal to stare at it for more than one hour at a time. But instead of locking them up or the dealers who provide telescopes and spots to view it from, we can fine them as a form of taxation. Instead of the criminals getting all that money, we can provide safe spots to view it, with the guidance of a professional who can explain what we know about it and the dangers of devoting your whole life to it. A massive education campaign can be ran so that people can learn about it. Instead of missiles, the government studies it. With the new wealth of information coming in, people realize its not so mystical after all, and the whole allure of breaking the rules vanishes since its allowed to be viewed in small amounts, and all the myths and rumours are put to rest about it. Only a very small per engage of society has a big enough obsession with it to negatively impact their lives. With the stigmas and stereotypes broken down,.people stop cutting eachother out of their lives and giving eachother dirty looks about it. There are even some medical benefits discovered from the proper use of it when its not abused. It seems to have a calming effect when viewed for a half hour at a time, three times a day, for those with certain disorders. People with cancer and other terminal illnesses can die pain free if they are kept in a room with a window that has a view of the craft.

Ropes and cloth and other materials seem to get much stronger when exposed to some mystery waves recently discovered to be added into the sunlight. In emergency situations, it can give a needed burst of energy by viewing it through a special filter.

Everything got better for everyone after all that money was no longer wasted on fighting an unstoppable force. A small group of powerful people seemed irked by this. But they were later found to have links to both the privatized prison system, as well as the biggest viewing spot dealers in north America. And like somebody once said, "There is nothing that can stop an idea who's time has come." Unfortunately, for hundreds of years later, people lamented the decades and trillions of dollars wasted on fear and stigmas. It was a black eye on the face of human history, right up there with the Spanish Inquisition and the lack.of development during the dark ages due to Vatican influences. But at least humanity, taking Americas example, learned its lesson not to fear the unknown and stigmatize an unmoving object. People learned it was their reaction to the object that did more.harm than the object itself.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

intrptr

The war on poverty, the war on drugs, the war on terror. None of these things have ever worked. Personnaly I think it is designed that way. From our point of view its all a waste, for government and its agencies its a huge cash cow.

The war is really on the people and the government is the true "enmity".

Yes, war rarely leads to anything good. And when it does, like technological advancement for example, its something that could have been accomplished without the "war". People developed amazing things during wars because their life was on the line. Well guess what, our life is still "on the line" without a war. If we don't get our act together quick, an asteroid could hit the earth before we have the technology to deal with it. A new disease could wipe us out and we won'thave the knowledge to deal with it. We need to work together to preserve our future. And all without the need for any war.... Take all the money wasted on the wars and put it towards research to solve the problem with knowledge.

A medicine could be developed for those who wish to take it that would free them of their addiction. Super nutritious, all natural food could be grown to solve the "war on obesity". Advanced tech to make water drinkable and other things could be done to fight the "war on poverty"... Knowledge, properly applied with wisdom can solve any problem. All that time wasted to train better killers could be training better, well funded scientists. All without any real "war".

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wow, that analogy was intense.

Thanks for the effort.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
People go to jail for lots of reasons.

I say we drop the minor reasons from the books, and focus on the major very harmful reasons.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
but..but.. They don`t keep all that cash in a shoe box under their beds, that money is still in circulation, they launder that money by buying stocks and other investments. heck, they probably are buying U.S. bonds and treasury notes, imagine that the U.S. government is being kept afloat by drug cartel money.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Tardacus
but..but.. They don`t keep all that cash in a shoe box under their beds, that money is still in circulation, they launder that money by buying stocks and other investments. heck, they probably are buying U.S. bonds and treasury notes, imagine that the U.S. government is being kept afloat by drug cartel money.

Actually a lot of money is stored in warehouses. I've seen videos of found stashes and a bunch of it will have been chewed up by rats or otherwise wasted. I think its more about the power than the money, because they have so much money they dont even have to care if a few million is destroyed or confiscated or whatever.

It's true that a good portion of that money goes back into the economy somehow. But they are buying luxery items, bribing officials, buying technology like submarines to smuggle their stuff, digging tunnels. So a lot of money is going to arms dealers or corrupt politicians who in turn use it to buy luxery items, homes and vehicles, putting their kids through college...so the most money is going to benefit people who are either already rich (Mercedes dealership, high priced real estate agents) or people who do not deserve it like corrupt officials and people willing to kill, and weapons dealers etc.

But yes, a small percentage of that tax money on some of the purchases made goes to our economy, and the small amount that is not dumped into some form of a "war" may even go to helping those who need it. A paltry comfort compared to the gigantic sums generated...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join