It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman dresses as marathon victim and loses job + more

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

damwel
I did something like that years ago. I don't how many will remember but years ago in Cincinnati Ohio 4 people were trampled to death at a Who concert. I was there and survived. A few weeks later I had a tshirt made that said,"I'd walk over you too, to see The Who". I was young, what can I say?

And black humor is a coping mechanism for some. LIfe can be scary. We are ALL going to die. Events like Boston only remind us of that. And for some of us, the best we can do to cope with this horrific fact, is to try to laugh about it.

I bet many of those outraged over this have laughed at holocaust jokes, or dead baby jokes, or other offensive, "dark," potentially "inappropriate" humor.

Was Boston funny? No, of course not. It was sad, and tragic. But dead babies are not really funny, nor is the holocaust, or racism, or any of a number of other bad things in our society that we sometimes choose to laugh at. Because the alternative? The alternative is to not laugh. But rather dwell, or cry, or go insane... or try to block it all out....

...or we can engage in the healthy response that nature provided us with as a stress release-- laughter.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So what's wrong with dressing up as any other thing for halloween? A zombie, a person with an arrow through their head? It's all the same thing, really... Except people are no longer afraid of zombies and arrows, they're now afraid of bombings and terrorism as is evidenced by the reactions to this and similar things.
Congratulations government, you're winning.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Stupid, and very tacky.

Doubtless there are self-esteem issues.

The play outfit comes off.

The ink doesn't.

Not hot.

# 79
edit on 12-11-2013 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

The best response is to grieve and move on(if its something good, cheer and move on), problem arise from dwindling on it... whether it maybe a anti-stance or a pro stance.. when somethings reminded again and again, it will never sit still. This goes for 9/11, Vietnam massacre, A bombs, Holocaust, Trav/Zimmer... w/e.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
And yet many on ATS are quite happy for people to wear masks to make them look like a religious extremist terrorist who tried to kill hundreds of innocent people?

I guess time is the issue - Boston and 9/11 are still too recent. Few remember the gunpowder plot.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

AndyMayhew

I guess time is the issue - Boston and 9/11 are still too recent. Few remember the gunpowder plot.

Time is the excuse. "Too soon" is an entirely relative concept that society pretends to enforce by virtue of the lowest common denominator.

Getting over things was a lot easier when the population wasnt so hell bent on holding everyone back.

Both the Boston bombing and 9/11 happened ages ago and not long ago at all depending on your perspective and either point of view brings its own relative value.

I'm frankly tired of living like a visitor in a mental institution where every sound, movement, glance and smell has to be cushioned and corrected lest I upset one of the patients.
edit on 12-11-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

(post by marriery removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by marriery removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Bad taste yes, but she have the right to do what ever she wants in America, because we in America have freedoms.

I read many of the post, I am very amused by the responds if the article is real.

While we preach that we have the choices to do whatever we want in our nation, I see how we tend to criticize what we consider in bad taste.

Interesting.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Freedom of speech does not imply freedom from consequences of said speech.

She exercised her freedom of speech (in the vaguest sense of the word), nobody tried to stop her, therefore nobody interfered with her freedom.

Once she had finished exercising her freedoms, her employers exercised theirs, and terminated her, probably not wanting to be associated with someone so insensitive.

Her freedom of speech had a consequence, but nobody tried to stop her from exercising it, but now she has to accept the consequences.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join