It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think every member should be given the option to erase his exsistence from ATS.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I wish I could delete my old account, my ex knows my old username, and shows everyone all over the place everything I wrote and they mock every last thing, they have a running thread using my posts from my old account like a sport.

Hence, the name of my new account....

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I don't worry about It.. I just say, Oh well, "feed 'em fish head's."

Where (were) all human on here, right ? (maybe hehehe)

edit on 12-11-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I fully understand for a site this large, that deleting a member's entire post history could be a logistical nightmare. But, in the spirit of meeting halfway, would it be possible to have the "delete" button refer to your profile, and your screen name? As in, if this was operational and I deleted my profile, any mention of my screen name, either by myself or someone else, would be poofed out of threads. The conversations would remain, but the screen name would not, they would be anonymous, nameless posts with people talking to or quoting Former Poster. I was on a sizable forum long ago where this was done instead of post deletion. It was a compromise between full deletion and account disabling. I have absolutely no idea how this was handled on the technical side, but for what it's worth, it worked fine for those who used it.
edit on 11/12/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by ChuckNasty

I will drink to that

LOL .... I read your inebriated thread!!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
- It would leave too many holes in threads on the boards if a person is totally deleted.
- When you post, you are giving up your right to your words. They aren't yours now.
They belong to ATS. You have given them away.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Aleister

Klassified

Also, if I'm not mistaken, when we sign up, we agree that ALL content belongs to The Above Network, once it's posted.

Does this mean that the short stories you post here can't be moved somewhere else too? That you can't use an argument used here anywhere else, or publish a picture or video that you took because now ATS owns the picture of my cat?

No. You retain the right to do whatever you want with your content. By posting here you grant The Above Network non-exclusive rights to your content. Meaning, your content is yours to do with whatever you please. Once you post it here, you have given up exclusive rights to your content. The rights are shared.

This is why we encourage people who think they have something they might get published to not post it here. Most publishers are reluctant to get involved with content where they can't get exclusive rights.

Now there are always exceptions, and extraordinary circumstances can be and have been addressed on an individual case basis.

But if someone gets pissy and wants everything of theirs deleted just 'because', no that's not happening. The rules are explicit, whether you read and understand them or not. The good news is, unless you've really gone off the beam and done something extremely ill-advised like posting personally identifiable information, no one here knows who you are anyway.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

hidingthistime
I wish I could delete my old account, my ex knows my old username, and shows everyone all over the place everything I wrote and they mock every last thing, they have a running thread using my posts from my old account like a sport.

Hence, the name of my new account....

Better be careful or you'll out yourself again...

/affixing paranoid version of tinfoil hat snugly

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Although, most forums I belong to have the goal making their member's happy, where as ATS doesn't seem to give a hoot about what the populace here thinks unless it has to do with cosmetic or convenience issues.

I think the owners do care, but what they care about is the gestalt version of the populace rather than individual members. In their defense, trying to run a site/business that pleases or caters to every individual would be ludicrous to attempt (although it might be fun to watch for a while).

With that said, if a "tipping point" is reached among the members wrt feelings or opinions on a particular issue, my sense is that the owners very much pay attention.

Whether or not they do anything about said issue is another thing entirely and would depend on the effort required to make said changes vs. the benefits of doing so.

Business 101...

Just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
best idea

hide posts of users who have deleted there account, so making it so members only can see deleted posts.

You could ats could easily do this it would be script side kinda of thing.

if user is logged in
Show post of deleted user
else

If post of user exists

Show post
else
Don't show post.

end if

end if

blah blah just showing you it could be done not in my santax as its just simple layout for a script.
edit on 12/11/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
In one hundred years it wont matter, hell in twenty-five years it wont matter.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

ATS is just like any other forum on the web. Like someone said earlier, everything you post is their property. You have an option of what to post and what not to. It makes for proper indexing of posts and threads. Its got nothing to do with the nature of the material.

The only way I see around it would be to start your own online forum and somehow implement such a feature.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

yeahright

Aleister

Klassified

Also, if I'm not mistaken, when we sign up, we agree that ALL content belongs to The Above Network, once it's posted.

Does this mean that the short stories you post here can't be moved somewhere else too? That you can't use an argument used here anywhere else, or publish a picture or video that you took because now ATS owns the picture of my cat?

No. You retain the right to do whatever you want with your content. By posting here you grant The Above Network non-exclusive rights to your content. Meaning, your content is yours to do with whatever you please. Once you post it here, you have given up exclusive rights to your content. The rights are shared.

This is why we encourage people who think they have something they might get published to not post it here. Most publishers are reluctant to get involved with content where they can't get exclusive rights.

Now there are always exceptions, and extraordinary circumstances can be and have been addressed on an individual case basis.

But if someone gets pissy and wants everything of theirs deleted just 'because', no that's not happening. The rules are explicit, whether you read and understand them or not. The good news is, unless you've really gone off the beam and done something extremely ill-advised like posting personally identifiable information, no one here knows who you are anyway.

so what if the govt. wants your data base, names, IP's and such, you giving it up for profit or by force? just curious what that would be worth to the NSA or any 3 letter org or if ATS would put up a fight.

do you have the required software to erase your own data base in case they come knocking? i see many companies folding or selling out, what would ATS do? do you have a plan?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

We have a privacy policy available for review.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

yeahright
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

We have a privacy policy available for review.

yeah, so did google, att, verizon, fakebook and list goes on.....

just would be nice to know the caliber of people who own the site i and many patronize.
edit on 12-11-2013 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
And how do you purport to do that? You either take our word for it, or you don't. If you're that concerned, I recommend you have no on-line presence at all, anywhere.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

yeahright
And how do you purport to do that? You either take our word for it, or you don't. If you're that concerned, I recommend you have no on-line presence at all, anywhere.

i simple answer from those in charge would suffice, but evasiveness will pretty much answer it also and if you're saying no comment you can go elsewhere, what does that say for the site?

i think it's a very valid question in this day and age of sell out companies to know, at least verbally, that you guys are on the up and up. iv'e got nothing to hide, just nice knowing the ethics of the company i keep.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm wondering if the TOS that we had to agree to when signing up actually applies to anyone who was under the age of 18 when they joined. I'm fairly certain that no one under the age of 18 can enter into a binding contract without consent of the parents here in the U.S.

I've always thought that we should have the ability to delete our account if we choose to. However, I've never been on any forum that deleted all posts from a user that deleted their account.

Just a word of caution though, if you complain to a Mod that you want your account deleted, they just post ban you!

The legal aspects of all this is sketchy at best....

edit on 12-11-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

LittleBlackEagle
i think it's a very valid question in this day and age of sell out companies

It's an 'are you still beating your wife' trap question with no way to answer. If you think someone is a liar, why ask them if they're a liar? It's a pointless exercise in futility.

I'll stand behind our reputation. There's no way for us to provide any sort of guarantee that will be sufficient for every single person. What we say and do is either good enough, or it isn't. Make your call and act accordingly. I sure won't apologize for the way we've conducted ourselves for the past 15 years.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Blarneystoner
Just a word of caution though, if you complain to a Mod that you want your account deleted, they just post ban you!

That is a complete misstatement of fact. No one has ever been post banned for merely asking to have an account deleted. If a post ban occurred, much more than that was involved. Correlation does not imply causation.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I speak from experience... It may not happen these days but I can tell you it's happened in the past.

No, there were no other factors involved. I never reported it to any other Mods.

You're certainly welcome to disagree but it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

edit on 12-11-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join