It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Developing New Nuclear Missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
apnews.myway.com...

MOSCOW (AP) - President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday that Russia is developing a new form of nuclear missile unlike those held by other countries, news agencies reported.

Speaking at a meeting of the Armed Forces' leadership, Putin reportedly said that Russia is researching and successfully testing new nuclear missile systems.

"I am sure that ... they will be put in service within the next few years and, what is more, they will be developments of the kind that other nuclear powers do not and will not have," Putin was quoted as saying by the ITAR-Tass news agency.....

More at the link above.

In a time where nukes are supposed to be a thing of the past, it frightens me that governments are still making more effective ones. We would also be nieve to think that the US and other arent either.

Again I will say: I need to move to Pluto...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   

News reports have also said Russia is believed to be developing a next-generation heavy nuclear missile that could carry up to 10 nuclear warheads weighing a total of 4.4 tons, compared with the Topol-M's 1.32-ton combat payload.

Topol-Ms have been deployed in silos since 1998. The missiles have a range of about 6,000 miles and reportedly can maneuver in ways that are difficult to detect.

Earlier this year, a senior Defense Ministry official was quoted as telling news agencies that Russia had developed a weapon that could make the United States' proposed missile-defense system useless. Details were not given, but military analysts said the claimed new weapon could be a hypersonic cruise missile or maneuverable ballistic missile warheads.

I'd like to see it outmaneuver a beam of light....
Missiles (anyone's) would be detected almost immediately after being launched (and in a variety of ways), by either the US or Russia (and likely the Chinese as well)...so there's little point in having it "maneuverable". While it may aid against the older missile-based system, it won't do much against the HEL system of SDI (assuming they exist of course...
)

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
CNN.com reports:

Speaking to high-ranking military officials Wednesday, Putin said that while international terrorism was one of the main threats facing Russia, the country's nuclear defenses also had to be kept up to date.

"We are conducting research and are testing the most up-to-date nuclear missile systems, which, I'm sure, will be supplied to the armed forces in the near future," Putin was quoted as saying by Interfax news agency.

"What is even more important, these systems will have no analogues in the other nuclear powers during the next few years."

"International terrorism is one of the major threats for Russia. We understand as soon as we ignore such components of our defense as a nuclear and missile shield, other threats may occur."

Putin gave no further details about what type of weapons he was referring to.

However, The Associated Press quoted Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov as saying this month that Russia hoped to test-fire a mobile version of its Topol-M ballistic mission this year. Production of the system could begin next year, Ivanov said.

AP added that Russia was also reported to be developing a next-generation nuclear missile capable of carrying up to 10 warheads weighing up to 4.4 tons, compared with the Topol-M's payload of 1.32 tons. Topol-Ms have been deployed in silos since 1998.

Putin has often pledged to restore Russia's military power, which declined after the break-up Soviet Union amid severe funding problems.

His latest statement sets an assertive tone ahead of this weekend's summit of the Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation organization, where he is expected to meet U.S. President George W. Bush.

Independent military analyst Pavel Felgenhauer said Wednesday's statement appeared to be as much for show as for military strategy.

"This is intended for the internal audience, an attempt to say that things are great, that defense is growing stronger and not falling apart as it actually is," Felgenhauer told AP.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'd like to see it outmaneuver a beam of light....

It will happen on a cloudy night.

Missiles (anyone's) would be detected almost immediately after being launched

So would a hundred decoys.

so there's little point in having it "maneuverable". While it may aid against the older missile-based system, it won't do much against the HEL system of SDI (assuming they exist of course...
)

Well the kinetic energy interceptor still seems the mainstay of anti-missile
defense, so you can theoretically outmaneuver it. In addition, maneuvarable is a way to home on the target, as opposed to a purely ballistic flight. So instead of hitting ground in 150m from the silo, it can potentially score a bulls eye. Survival probability would be zero.

top topics

join