It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Discussion thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I didn't want to clutter the NFL and Trash Talk thread. This is a little different. Let's discuss thoughts, perception, and some history. This is just my opinion on this but wasn't Montana/Young the best QB tandem ever? Then what about discussion on why this couldn't happen today? We can discuss this or something else, or not.

Here's another. The most punishing running back tandem. Okoye/Word. Over 500lbs between the 2 of them. Both #1 RB's.

I hope this floats but what the football.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I cast a vote for Jimmy Graham and Drew Brees.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well, when you put John Elway and Terrell Davis together, you could not stop them. If TD would have stayed in the game longer the Broncos would have won a couple more Super Bowls. There was no stopping them.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Can i get an Eric Decker!

sorry, i don't know much about football, i'm slowly being caught up by my Half brother

all i know is i want an Eric Decker!

edit on 11-11-2013 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

Knowing a thing or 2 about football would help in a thread about football.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

staple
I cast a vote for Jimmy Graham and Drew Brees.

So you're talking about a QB TE connection? What about Elway and Sharpe?

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I have long held that the Montana/Young tandem was THE greatest missed opportunity in the history of football.

There was Joe, blazing up the field and Steve sitting on the bench. Or Steve tearing up the field with Joe on the bench.
Now Walsh had rewritten the the way the game was played, granted? The way the team was set up there, before Joe went to where ever the hell he went, with either one of them sitting on the bench was a missed opportunity
to set the whole league on it's butt.

Imagine a rotating quarterback situation. Joe comes out and Steve comes in. Rotating possessions. Or even rotating first downs. imagine defenses trying to defend against that.

But best of all would have been a tandem backfield. Joe was always a scrambler. Steve could have been a running back on any number of teams. Imagine both in a shotgun with the defense not knowing who was going to take the snap. Imagine the defense not knowing if Joe was going to go down field to Jerry,scramble for a first down or lateral or hand off to Steve who could then either run, or toss it down-field to Jerry, or lateral back to Joe.

Crazy?

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Not the way the old QB's worked. They needed to be "in the groove". They could come in and do well but they wouldn't have done well trading downs/possessions.

BTW, Joe went to the Probowl and the AFC Champ game with the Chiefs after the Niners. I remember the Chiefs banners back then. "Joe is good. Joe is God."

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

yeah yeah sure sure. I know that argument. And the one about quarterback egos too. But under Walsh, the great innovator? Who's to say. At least we can dream.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Oh, no doubt about it. It's amazing that those 2 alphas survive 2 years let alone 4. That was Bill's doing.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

The way the game is evolving I don't see a QB/Receiver tandem happening with teams that are consistently good anymore. During this season alone, only 9 games in, Tom Brady has had 9 different players on offense who have caught a pass for a TD. Manning has multiple weapons as well. It just makes sense as defenses are becoming more adept at recognizing offensive schemes and shutting them down. Remember that college crossover "Wildcat" offense? Remember how long that lasted? The game is getting more intelligent and the defenses are stepping up.

Switching gears Intrepid...........Denver or KC? Do you think Manning is better than the Chiefs defense? Personally, I think it's hard to judge until after the game because those 36 sacks they've racked up have been on 1st and 2nd year QB's. Manning is a journeyman. Once the snaps take place, don't blink because he's going to get that ball out fast. That, and the offensive line have had 2 weeks to live in the training room to get ready. They will protect Manning and they'll do it quick with a lot of no-huddles.

What say you?

edit on 15-11-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

With the Chiefs pass rush I'm wondering if he's going to be able to finish the game. I'm taking the Chiefs this week.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Can someone explain why LA isn't screaming for a team? It's the second largest market in NA. Hell, Toronto is putting up more of a case for a team and they aren't even in the States.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

(post by unknown known removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join