It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

feeling in the heart, can science explain it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

LUXUS, I know exactly of what you speak. There are many answers here but they are answers from either people who have not experienced it or they are looking for a physical reason.

My loss started in the gut/solar plexis and when a realization kicked in ( not going into details) it went to my heart. It was an actual empty? ache I had never felt before (and I was not young) and eventually caused palpitations and high blood pressure ( probably due to anxiety). It is real and hard to explain unless you have been there. I am going on 9 plus years and ... well, just hoping you end up in a better place.

A couple years ago I read that the heart has it's own brain.

The Brain in the Heart

Thus, it was revealed that the heart has its own intrinsic nervous system that operates and processes information independently of the brain or nervous system.

Research has also revealed that the heart communicates information to the brain and throughout the body via electromagnetic field interactions. The heart generates the body’s most powerful and most extensive rhythmic electromagnetic field. The heart’s magnetic component is about 500 times stronger than the brain’s magnetic field and can be detected several feet away from the body. It was proposed that, this heart field acts as a carrier wave for information that provides a global synchronizing signal for the entire body (McCraty, Bradley & Tomasino, 2004)

also this

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The idea it can operate independent of the cerebral cortex is news to me.

TextThere are also new data suggesting that the heart’s field is directly involved in intuitive perception, through its coupling to an energetic information field outside the bounds of space and time. Using a rigorous experimental design, we found compelling evidence that both the heart and brain receive and respond to information about a future event before the event actually happens.

Even more surprising was our finding that the heart appears to receive this “intuitive” information before the brain. This suggests that the heart’s field may be linked to a more subtle energetic field that contains information on objects and events remote in space or ahead in time. Called by Karl Pribram and others the “spectral domain,” this is a fundamental order of potential energy that enfolds space and time, and is thought to be the basis for our consciousness of “the whole.” (See heartmath.org for further detail.)

www.in5d.com...

I want to dig more deeply to see how they measured it (the confidence; did they look at other parts of the CNS, etc.). It resonates though. The heart/brain connection is abundantly researched but the heart as its own brain in a way? Or may be older than the brain (instinct). Intelligence came second to the blob we are thought to have been born out of initially (when the first spec of what would become us was born).

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 11-11-2013 by Dianec because: Accidental double post.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Electromagnetic field related to heart region output connected to upper brain wave and lower enteric system. When in positive mind state & vibrating happiness feels good (energized) when in distress or unhappy it lowers the field (depleting)... Hope things work out for you

This is 1z subjective input

NAMASTE*******

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Are you speaking about the strange feeling in your chest when you're heart is broken from a relationship? The sort of weird feeling in your chest like your heart is tightening up? I have no clue what causes that. I know elevated heartrate comes from nitrogen freed from proteins and amino acids upon exertion or fear...but that is not the same feeling as the heartache. I never really thought about that. I can't even really think of what bodily chemistry would cause that feeling.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well, I'm a bit of a mystic and I believe that our heart chakras are the seat of love and connection.Wounds to our sense of connection hit us hard in this area, as the heart is the bridge between the body and the higher self. It's very painful to be wounded in the heart. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here, but I studied under a an amazing energy work teacher for a number of years, and did healing work for a long time. The heart, while not the "highest" chakra, is the most impactful, the most powerful. The place where healing and forgiveness and connection exist. Honor your pain. It's brilliant to want to understand it, to analyze where that physical feeling comes from, but the most important thing is not to understand it,but to feel it fully and honor it. Let it break you. The pain won't be permanent, but it will be transformative.
edit on 11-11-2013 by Rhoswen because: extra word. Long day!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Dianec
The idea it can operate independent of the cerebral cortex is news to me.

TextThere are also new data suggesting that the heart’s field is directly involved in intuitive perception, through its coupling to an energetic information field outside the bounds of space and time. Using a rigorous experimental design, we found compelling evidence that both the heart and brain receive and respond to information about a future event before the event actually happens.

Even more surprising was our finding that the heart appears to receive this “intuitive” information before the brain. This suggests that the heart’s field may be linked to a more subtle energetic field that contains information on objects and events remote in space or ahead in time. Called by Karl Pribram and others the “spectral domain,” this is a fundamental order of potential energy that enfolds space and time, and is thought to be the basis for our consciousness of “the whole.” (See heartmath.org for further detail.)

www.in5d.com...

I want to dig more deeply to see how they measured it (the confidence; did they look at other parts of the CNS, etc.). It resonates though. The heart/brain connection is abundantly researched but the heart as its own brain in a way? Or may be older than the brain (instinct). Intelligence came second to the blob we are thought to have been born out of initially (when the first spec of what would become us was born).

That is the experiment I mentioned earlier and the reason why I had been thinking about that experiment is because the person I cared about (for whatever reason) has moved to the opposite side of the globe. This was maybe a few months ago but what is strange is this, I was putting a ticket on my car late at night and suddenly I had this feeling and if that feeling could be put into words it said "I'm leaving, goodbye", well I just ignored this but when I actually made it my business a few weeks later to find out I had it confirmed to me...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhoswen

Its funny you say that because that is more or less what I did, at first I tried to shrug it off like a bad cold but then I thought, your not being real, understand what this is and remember it. So I actually did the reverse, I actually meditated on the feeling and held onto it to understand it and realised the truth. I actually went back to the place I first met this person and stood outside and just let all the memory's flow through my mind, I decided in the end not to forget this person but remember everything...I thought it would be fake of me not to!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yep more or less, started in the gut then rises up to the heart.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

S/F OP. Interesting thread. I have often wondered whether the heart 'feels' or not. About 2 years ago I was going through a really rough patch with my partner. And one day after we spoke on the phone and I nearly called it off. My heart felt like it was physically aching - as if something were trying to pull it apart. I was in pieces..! I do not know what it was. I have never experienced anything like that before in my life. We are still together now and whenever I am away from him my heart aches - though not in quite the same way as before...!

Love really is bittersweet.

I think the heart is an incredible thing. It still amazes me that it can do what it does considering its size. Also people can and do die from Broken Heart Syndrome (Takotsubo cardiomyopathy)

Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, also known as transient apical ballooning syndrome, apical ballooning cardiomyopathy, stress-induced cardiomyopathy, Gebrochenes-Herz-Syndrom, and stress cardiomyopathy is a type of non-ischaemic cardiomyopathy in which there is a sudden temporary weakening of the myocardium (the muscle of the heart). Because this weakening can be triggered by emotional stress, such as the death of a loved one, a break-up, or constant anxiety, it is also known as broken heart syndrome. Stress cardiomyopathy is a well-recognized cause of acute heart failure, lethal ventricular arrhythmias, and ventricular rupture.

en.wikipedia.org...

From August 2013

Perhaps it’s a testimony to the power of love – example after example of couples who feel so deeply that when one spouse dies, the other succumbs soon after.

Earlier this month, Harold and Ruth Knapke died within 11 hours of one another in their shared room in an Ohio nursing home. In July, Les and Helen Brown died within a day of one another in their Long Beach, Calif., home.

Both couples had been married many decades: the Knapkes, 65 years and the Browns, 75. And while the Knapkes and Browns were old and frail, dying within 24 hours of your spouse seems to be against the odds.

A study published this past June in the Journal of Nursing Research found that widowhood, chronic disease and physical function were all strongly associated with the risk of death in older people. The findings suggest that “greater attention should be paid to these factors to reduce elderly mortality risk,” the researchers concluded.

But exactly what’s killing these surviving spouses isn’t always clear.

Talk to family members and they’ll insist that the second spouse died of a broken heart. And that may literally be true in some cases.

Back in the '90s scientists discovered that extreme stress – such as that brought on by the death of a beloved spouse – could cause a medical condition that they dubbed “broken heart syndrome.”

www.today.com...

Beginning in 1993 and lasting for nine full years, the study of broken heart syndrome conducted by the Harvard Medical School remains the largest study of its kind, with 518,240 couples, or more than 1,000,000 people participating: Speaking of the study..."Our study shows that people are connected in such a fashion that the health of one person is related to the health of another," reports Nicholas Christakis, M.D., Ph.D., professor in the Department of Healthcare Policy at the Harvard Medical School.

Dr. Christakis goes on to say, "The findings are striking… When a spouse is hospitalized, the partner's risk of death increases significantly and remains elevated for up to two years." He notes that the period of greatest risk is over the short run, within 30 days of a spouse's hospitalization or death. Over this time frame, hospitalization of a partner can confer almost as much risk of dying as the actual death of a spouse.

www.worldlifeexpectancy.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

S/F OP. Interesting thread. I have often wondered whether the heart 'feels' or not. About 2 years ago I was going through a really rough patch with my partner. And one day after we spoke on the phone and I nearly called it off. My heart felt like it was physically aching - as if something were trying to pull it apart. I was in pieces..! I do not know what it was. I have never experienced anything like that before in my life. We are still together now and whenever I am away from him my heart aches - though not in quite the same way as before...!

Love really is bittersweet.

I think the heart is an incredible thing. It still amazes me that it can do what it does considering its size. Also people can and do die from Broken Heart Syndrome (Takotsubo cardiomyopathy)

Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, also known as transient apical ballooning syndrome, apical ballooning cardiomyopathy, stress-induced cardiomyopathy, Gebrochenes-Herz-Syndrom, and stress cardiomyopathy is a type of non-ischaemic cardiomyopathy in which there is a sudden temporary weakening of the myocardium (the muscle of the heart). Because this weakening can be triggered by emotional stress, such as the death of a loved one, a break-up, or constant anxiety, it is also known as broken heart syndrome. Stress cardiomyopathy is a well-recognized cause of acute heart failure, lethal ventricular arrhythmias, and ventricular rupture.

en.wikipedia.org...

From August 2013

Perhaps it’s a testimony to the power of love – example after example of couples who feel so deeply that when one spouse dies, the other succumbs soon after.

Earlier this month, Harold and Ruth Knapke died within 11 hours of one another in their shared room in an Ohio nursing home. In July, Les and Helen Brown died within a day of one another in their Long Beach, Calif., home.

Both couples had been married many decades: the Knapkes, 65 years and the Browns, 75. And while the Knapkes and Browns were old and frail, dying within 24 hours of your spouse seems to be against the odds.

A study published this past June in the Journal of Nursing Research found that widowhood, chronic disease and physical function were all strongly associated with the risk of death in older people. The findings suggest that “greater attention should be paid to these factors to reduce elderly mortality risk,” the researchers concluded.

But exactly what’s killing these surviving spouses isn’t always clear.

Talk to family members and they’ll insist that the second spouse died of a broken heart. And that may literally be true in some cases.

Back in the '90s scientists discovered that extreme stress – such as that brought on by the death of a beloved spouse – could cause a medical condition that they dubbed “broken heart syndrome.”

www.today.com...

Beginning in 1993 and lasting for nine full years, the study of broken heart syndrome conducted by the Harvard Medical School remains the largest study of its kind, with 518,240 couples, or more than 1,000,000 people participating: Speaking of the study..."Our study shows that people are connected in such a fashion that the health of one person is related to the health of another," reports Nicholas Christakis, M.D., Ph.D., professor in the Department of Healthcare Policy at the Harvard Medical School.

Dr. Christakis goes on to say, "The findings are striking… When a spouse is hospitalized, the partner's risk of death increases significantly and remains elevated for up to two years." He notes that the period of greatest risk is over the short run, within 30 days of a spouse's hospitalization or death. Over this time frame, hospitalization of a partner can confer almost as much risk of dying as the actual death of a spouse.

www.worldlifeexpectancy.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

yeah .. science can explain these things .. Google Heart math .. they have been doing some interesting work .. apparently heart has some neurons too .. And it can really do stuff ... like deal with emotions and things like that .. Check em out

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by skywalker_

here's the link:
institute of heart math

they've done some really amazing stuff. the heart is basically your 'second brain'. also, the ancient egyptians believed the heart was the seat of consciousness, which is why during mummification the brain was discarded but the heart was preserved. it's believed by many great sages that many thousands of years ago we lived entirely in the heart, but somewhere along the way our consciousness shifted into our minds.
you too can live in the heart. dedicate your mind to simply observing your thoughts passively, and by visualization move your consciousness down into your heart. it's a profound experience.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

LichThrall
reply to post by skywalker_

here's the link:
institute of heart math

they've done some really amazing stuff. the heart is basically your 'second brain'. also, the ancient egyptians believed the heart was the seat of consciousness, which is why during mummification the brain was discarded but the heart was preserved. it's believed by many great sages that many thousands of years ago we lived entirely in the heart, but somewhere along the way our consciousness shifted into our minds.
you too can live in the heart. dedicate your mind to simply observing your thoughts passively, and by visualization move your consciousness down into your heart. it's a profound experience.

That is correct, as humans evolve their attention moves up one energy center to the next, two races the first who was very primitive had their attention set in the energy center at the base of the spine, the second had theirs in the navel area, those two races are now extinct on this Earth. The Third race is still hear which today we consider the oldest race on this planet they have their attention set in the solar plexus (below the heart), the next race they have it set in the heart, whilst the youngest race on this planet have their consciousness set in the clavicle notch, the race which will soon incarnate will be naturally psychic and in ability's will surpass all current races on this planet. By the time of the eighth cycle humans will have completed their evolution on all levels.
edit on 12-11-2013 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

The brain is a very powerful organ. Just like people with anxiety and panic disorder. They get chest and back pain's but it's not physical pain, the brain tricks them into thinking there is pain.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I would say it is the electricity in the brain. You have one dot first, then you make another and you have plus and minus and another should be created because of that, so you have plus minus and neutral. Then the psyche grows into many plusses and minuses, for each sensation and it grows over the body along the nervous system.

Some cultures associate the heart with love and so the psyche is made to interact with that part of the body. In the end it's about good and bad vibes, so if you have grown to believe traffic accidents are bad one might feel bad when in the setting and confronted by that the body might react to simulate a feeling in the heart area. Another well known area is the stomach when people digested wrong information or when tense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join