It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barber Middle School in Texas trashes kid´s breakfast because he was 30 cents short

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I could not find any previous posts on this matter.

A 12-year-old middle school student in Texas had just gotten his breakfast from the cafeteria when an employee took it from him, dumped it in the trash and sent him to class. Why? Because his meal account was short the 30 cents that it cost for him to buy a reduced-price meal that morning.

now.msn.com...

Throwing a couple of dollars worth of food away because of a lack of 30 cents? Add in the humilation from having one´s food thrown away in front of friends and letting the poor kid starve whole day.

That is a disgrace, not even talking about pointless wasting of food.

There could have been numerous more humane ways of resolving the conflict from letting the kid call his parents/borrow money from friends or even the teacher/letting him keep the food. At the end what is the difference in letting somebody have something that is thrown away anyways. Win-win solution for both sides - less waste to handle for cafeteria and the kid gets to eat. Studying something is not easy while starving.

I sincerely hope this problem will get fixed soon. No kid should starve during a school day.

edit on 11-11-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Talk about stuck on stupid
"You cant pay for your meal, lets throw it away!!"

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

How sad is it when an adult can't muscle 30 cents out of their own pocket, but find the most reasonable answer is to just take away the food the child was ALREADY EATING and throw it away?

Not only do we have to worry about militarized police departments in America, but we NOW have to worry about Authoritarian lunch ladies/men.........

Evolution, is nothing more than a dream at this point....

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I'm sure the kid learned a valuable lesson of how transactions actually work.

When you're an adult no one gives a # whether you're short 30 cents and really need to eat.

I bet next time he'll bring the correct change or bring a sandwich from home.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Any bets the dumper claims to be a church going Christian. How about covering the 30 cents for the child.

I will guess there is an excuse for not being able to pay such as it's all computerized and no money can be added on the spot. There is always reason someone else is to blame.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
So, what is the cafeteria aid's punishment? Taking the lunch back out of the trash??

Considering if the kid was hypoglycemic, or a dosing diabetic, would be in a coma or dead by now!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Well gee, when you put it that way it totally changes the....

Wait...

Nope. You still sound like a jerk.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by Cabin

I'm sure the kid learned a valuable lesson of how transactions actually work.

When you're an adult no one gives a # whether you're short 30 cents and really need to eat.

I bet next time he'll bring the correct change or bring a sandwich from home.

his meal account was short the 30 cents

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Yes, I'm sure this kid learned that common sense, compassion and such are not valuable traits to have as an adult.

Even the schools, who's job it is to care for the well-being of children in their care, really don't give a rats ass.

Why should he? Great life lesson!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Doesn't change reality.

The way children are raised is supposed to be preparing them for adulthood. As adults, you cannot walk into a store and buy a sandwich 30 cents short.

So for the cafeteria, the kid is short 30 cents. Tomorrow others are short 50 cents, and the next day a dollar.

This seems like a sensationalized story to punish someone for doing what service food workers do everyday, which is deny a transaction when you don't pony up. If mcdonalds runs my debit and it comes back denied they don't give me the hamburgers free.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

But you fail to realize that these kids do not have control over their lunch money accounts. The schools and the parents do.

If a mistake happens, which they do and I am guilty of forgetting to put money on my kids accounts a couple times, the kid should not be embarrassed and left without a meal. It wasn't his fault.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Compassion is a voluntary trait that not everyone is forced or always allowed to exhibit. If someone does exhibit those traits they should be thanked but it is not a requirement.

In the case of this food worker, you have absolutely no idea how their boss is. You have no idea if they even had the power to give away free food. You have no idea whether they were on a written already. Cafeteria jobs suck.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Kindness can be contagious! The same could be said for ignorance.........

Perhaps in the future this child might kick a homeless veterans face in asking for a quarter because of this one life changing incident during his/her childhood??

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Doesn't change reality.

The way children are raised is supposed to be preparing them for adulthood. As adults, you cannot walk into a store and buy a sandwich 30 cents short.

So for the cafeteria, the kid is short 30 cents. Tomorrow others are short 50 cents, and the next day a dollar.

This seems like a sensationalized story to punish someone for doing what service food workers do everyday, which is deny a transaction when you don't pony up. If mcdonalds runs my debit and it comes back denied they don't give me the hamburgers free.

I'd buy the kid two breakfasts. One to eat, and the other to load up with nice staining sauces and hurl at you. For the entertainment of ATS.
edit on 11-11-2013 by Act1Scene1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Kicking would be assault. In the case of giving a quarter if he chooses to do so it is his/her choice. Charity should be a choice and when someone does it voluntarily they should be thanked. If they choose not to give charity, that is her/his prerogative and in the same instance should not be blamed for not giving charity as it is a voluntary good deed.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Act1Scene1

So you're worried about doing good deeds so to prove good deeds to children you are going to assault someone?

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Regardless, how can one justify that it is better to throw away the meal rather than just let the kid eat it?

Where is the common sense in that?

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

We don't know the full story. That may be the policy and out of the control of the food worker. I have worked in a cafeteria and sometimes that IS the policy in regard to food handling. It is not recycled once someone has it for sanitation purposes so if a card is denied it's chunked.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Kicking would be assault. In the case of giving a quarter if he chooses to do so it is his/her choice. Charity should be a choice and when someone does it voluntarily they should be thanked. If they choose not to give charity, that is her/his prerogative and in the same instance should not be blamed for not giving charity as it is a voluntary good deed.

Do you even have children??

They are like a blank hard drive. If they are taught to be uncaring, then they will most likely grow up to be uncaring!

If you do have children, I feel sorry for them!

Most likely they will grow up to throw away a child's lunch such as the adult whom performed the uncaring act that the OP was bring forth!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by Act1Scene1

So you're worried about doing good deeds so to prove good deeds to children you are going to assault someone?

I have no idea what that sentence was meant to mean, to be honest I can't be arsed to try and interpret it.

Saddest thing about this story is that none of his peers seem to have offered the short 30c. Seems egalitarianism is disappearing as people become consumed by technology and the internet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join