It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Organic Jam On Store Shelves In US, UK, Elsewhere: Title of article

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I was going to post this in the war at Chernobyl thread (great thread and sickening how info was withheld from the population) but for some reason I could not find the thread?

Another interesting thing we have all read about is how the limits seem to be raised everytime there is an incident involving a radioactive release. The article does say "The US limit is 1200 bq/kg and EU limit is 600 bq/kg" .... one would think limits on such things would be more or less standardized the world over since there have been plenty of studies on radiation and it's effects on the human body since the first bomb went off....

Shukan Asahi newspaper in Japan had some imported foods tested and found something slightly shocking. This imported organic Italian jam was over the Japanese food safety limit for cesium contamination. So how could that be? The short answer is Chernobyl.

The origin for the jam is actually Bulgaria and blueberries have been known to pick up cesium in higher amounts

www.fukuleaks.org...
edit on 11-11-2013 by 727Sky because: in

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It's made especially for the midnight snack....
Toast with glow in the dark Jam

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The world is quickly becoming a radioactive wasteland, thanks IAEA for your clean and safe energy.

And yet we seem to never learn a lesson about it's dangers.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Radioactive blueberry jam ?...that should keep the winter chill away , now to find a place that stocks it

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Dumbass
It's made especially for the midnight snack....
Toast with glow in the dark Jam

Or put another way; Chernobyl, the gift that keeps on giving... There was a time I actually believed in safe nuclear power.. Then I either read or got to thinking about the life of a nuclear plant. 50 years of boiling water and (?) 25,000 years of radioactive ground and waste that still has not been rectified.. When a nuke plant is built they might as well build a ?? and post a sign that says this place is uninhabitable for the next ?? years.. Naw can't do that the sign would have to be made out of gold and next thing you know the sign would be gone. (sarcasm)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The origin for the jam is actually Bulgaria and blueberries have been known to pick up cesium in higher amounts

Radioactivity. The gift that keeps on giving.

People should be aware that movement of contamination through the food chain is how this stuff spreads. Its not a cloud front or ocean wave of isotopes and nuclides that melts you like a neutron bomb. But rather, the slow assimilation into our bodies by the concentration into higher levels in life forms until it winds up in your blueberry muffin, for instance.

Most radioactive elements decay rates are longer lived than we are. We can expect the amounts to grow inside our bones and connective tissues over a lifetime. This is called Bioaccumulation and represents the highest threat level to human beings. We are at the top of the food chain and everything you consume becomes you.

The only way to guard against this pervasive creep is to check whatever you plan on eating, before you eat it. Heres a video for those who have more than a passing fancy about it.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Don't eat Brazil Nuts or go to Grand Central Station!

Radioactivity is all around us. On the plus side, the US Capitol is so hot it could never be a nuke power plant, so maybe all those incumbents will shuffle off a little sooner than they otherwise might. Maybe we should send them all annual presents of Brazil nuts?

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Hmmm. The information of blueberries picking up cesium is interesting. I am going to take my Geiger counter to the blueberries next time I thaw out a bag. I know that bananas can be high in radioactive potassium and even potatoes can have elevated levels if there is radioactivity in the soils. The local potatoes tested no marked increase from the geiger counter when I checked last year. I would like to go to the store with my geiger counter to test a pile of bananas
I'd get some weird stares I suppose. Maybe in the potato warehouse there could be some increase in radiation. That might be good though, it would keep the potatoes from spoiling.

I try to look at the good and bad about everything. Small amounts of radiation will not hurt us. I think they put iodine in the salt because the government knew they had screwed up the environment with all their nuclear testing and were trying to cover things up. How would we know if this was not the case, there has been elevated levels of radiation in the environment worldwide since the nuclear age. Maybe the need for iodine in our diet is higher post nuclear age than pre nuclear age....they will never admit it.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

What fool would use anything that creates a hazardous byproduct that has an incredible long life and no way to dispose of it permanently and safely?

We have the Nuclear Waste Site in Washington State, Hanford, I could find no info for the public since June in the news, but the .Gov has a site, i am impressed that they put up the information even though i am stunned still that the site was ever created so close to a major river.
The numbers listed on the website are probably way under what is real as usual they use words like presumed and make it clear they really don't know. Think we have places like these all over the country.

More than 100 square miles of
groundwater contaminated

56 million gallons of waste in 177
underground tanks; 67 presumed
to have leaked

www.hanford.gov...

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Small amounts of radiation will not hurt us.

We have had high cancer rates in people and animals for so long, how do we know small amounts added by man has not hurt us?

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Do you know how much radiation you are exposed to on a daily basis? From non-nuclear sources (ie nuclear power, nuclear waste, etc)? Coal plants? Radioactive waste. Granite? Radioactive. The list goes on and on, and some levels are surprising as to how much you're exposed to.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Char-Lee

We have had high cancer rates in people and animals for so long, how do we know small amounts added by man has not hurt us?

We don't. The fact that cancer rates have been increasing significantly in the last twenty five years does steer me towards the western diet and micromineral deficiencies though. Our soils are getting burnt out. Our foods are changing too rapidly. Radiation is minute amounts is good for us, a natural part of our environment. I do not have any research available to compare the association of the increased nuclear particles in the environment with health issues. This association has been hidden from us, they made some major mistakes and have covered things up.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Char-Lee

Everything I have ever read has said your dose was cumulative IE it does not go away just gets added to the total. 70 years ago childhood cancers were almost nonexistent (maybe not reported ?) so one might figure not only is it cumulative but the genetic damage can be passed on....... as most know radiation affects children and their fast cell division at a much greater rate ... ? Maybe a combination of all of the above...?

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

That radiation you were exposed to 30 years ago does leave your body it just takes time to purge it. It doesn't leave right away, but eventually it will.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It should be renamed long life jamesium. The everlasting jam!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Zaphod58
Do you know how much radiation you are exposed to on a daily basis? From non-nuclear sources (ie nuclear power, nuclear waste, etc)? Coal plants? Radioactive waste. Granite? Radioactive. The list goes on and on, and some levels are surprising as to how much you're exposed to.

This is a non argument. I do not even understand the origins of this argument. To use this argument is to say things like, "well, so 5000 people died at the hands of police since 9-11, do you know how many people mao's military killed?"

Even odder, your point is incomplete. You throw that notion out, and often, as if the statement is enough for people to go, "ah, so the sun has radiation I guess eating radiation day after day in my jam is fine." First, one has been here since day one, the other has been here since the DOD decided it desperately needed more efficient ways of killing masses of people. The nukes built by the people were, oddly enough, to be used against them, and the waste was incidental as they were likely to be nuked anyway.

Cumulative. How much radiation exposure, from bombs, waste, food, etc. is too much to sustain the way in humans express themselves through a body? What is the threshold in which the human finds expressing their energy through the body to be impossible, or at least diminished compared to the era prior to the man made radiation?

The point is not whether there is radiation from other sources, the point is does the cumulative effect of the man made radiation waste lying all over the Earth cause a problem with the human ability to live in a body on earth? What if I said your exposure means your consciousness is far, far less effective at living here? What if I said that without it, the way in which you would express yourself would be entirely different? Would you then defend this?

If you have a hard time grasping this notion. Imagine without the radiation waste exposure of ALL kinds over the last 100 years you'd be able to live better, sleep better, feel less sluggish, less tired, less angry, less weak, more able to think beyond standard limits, less sick, more energy, more compassion.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I would say the damage was done well before the Chernobyl disaster , radioactive jam is the least of our worries .

The United States conducted around 1,054 nuclear tests (by official count) between 1945 and 1992, including 216 atmospheric, underwater, and space tests

The Soviet Union conducted 715 nuclear tests (by official count) between 1949 and 1990, including 219 atmospheric, underwater, and space tests.

The People's Republic of China conducted 45 tests (23 atmospheric and 22 underground

en.wikipedia.org...

Our leaders sealed our fate years ago

edit on 11-11-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Found this video on YT a while ago and wanted to share.

Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto has created a beautiful, undeniably scary time-lapse map of the 2053 nuclear explosions which have taken place between 1945 and 1998, beginning with the Manhattan Project's "Trinity" test near Los Alamos and concluding with Pakistan's nuclear tests in May of 1998. This leaves out North Korea's two alleged nuclear tests in this past decade (the legitimacy of both of which is not 100% clear).

Each nation gets a blip and a flashing dot on the map whenever they detonate a nuclear weapon, with a running tally kept on the top and bottom bars of the screen. Hashimoto, who began the project in 2003, says that he created it with the goal of showing"the fear and folly of nuclear weapons." It starts really slow — if you want to see real action, skip ahead to 1962 or so — but the buildup becomes overwhelming.

There's no chance in my mind that all of these tests had zero impact on mankind or life on this planet in general.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by 727Sky

That radiation you were exposed to 30 years ago does leave your body it just takes time to purge it. It doesn't leave right away, but eventually it will.

Yes but does it leave behind mutated cells if you were exposed to enough over a certain length of time.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Zaphod58
reply to post by 727Sky

www.ctbto.org...

Does it leave behind mutated cells if you were exposed to enough over a certain length of time.

Great amount of info on this site. it makes me cry out WHAT HAVE WE DONE!!

Modified cells that transmit hereditary information to the offspring of the exposed individual might cause hereditary disorders. Vegetation can also be contaminated when fallout is directly deposited on external surfaces of plants and absorbed through the roots. Furthermore, people can be exposed when they eat meat and milk from animals grazing on contaminated vegetation.

The time that may elapse between radiation exposure and cancer development can be anything between 10 and 40 years. Degrees of exposure regarded as tolerable in the 1950s are now recognized internationally as unsafe.

HART 1 – EFFECTS OF RADIONUCLIDES
Radionuclide

Half-life*

Health hazards

Xenon
(Xe) 6.7 hours Inhalation in excessive concentrations can result in dizziness, nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and death. At low oxygen concentrations, unconsciousness and death may occur in seconds without warning.
Americium-241
(
Am) 432 years Moves rapidly through the body after ingestion and is concentrated within the bones for a long period of time. During this storage americium will slowly decay and release radioactive particles and rays. These rays can cause alteration of genetic materials and bone cancer.
Iodine-131
(
I) 8 days When present in high levels in the environment from radioactive fallout, I-131 can be absorbed through contaminated food. It also accumulates in the thyroid gland, where it can destroy all or part of the thyroid. May cause damage to the thyroid as it decays. Thyroid cancer may occur.
Caesium-137
(
Cs) 30 years After entering the body, caesium is distributed fairly uniformly through the body, with higher concentration in muscle tissue and lower concentration in bones. Can cause gonadal irradiation and genetic damage.
Krypton-85
(
Kr) 10.76 years Inhalation in excessive concentrations can result in dizziness, nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and death.
Strontium-90
(
Sr) 28 years A small amount of strontium 90 is deposited in bones and bone marrow, blood and soft tissues when ingested. Can cause bone cancer, cancer of nearby tissues, and leukaemia.
Plutonium-239
(
Pu) 24,400 years Released when a plutonium weapon is exploded. Ingestion of even a miniscule quantity is a serious health hazard and can cause lung, bone, and liver cancer. The highest doses are to the lungs, the bone marrow, bone surfaces, and liver.
Tritium
(
H) 12 years Easily ingested. Can be inhaled as a gas in the air or absorbed through the skin. Enters soft tissues and organs. Exposure to tritium increases the risk of developing cancer. Beta radiation emitted by tritium can cause lung cancer.
* ( i.e. amount of time it takes for half of the quantity of a radioactive material to decay)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join