The Atlantic - How Many Astronauts Believe Aliens Exist? Answer - ALL of them.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

JadeStar

combatmaster

FlyersFan

coldkidc
The Drake equation ....

The Drake Equation - information here for those interested
As far as I'm concerned ... the Drake Equation proves with math the existence of MANY aliens.

Untrue good sir. You could be wrong...

Several of the parameters of the drake equation are not known at this time, and are very hard to estimate.

So in essence it is largely based on conjecture.

I still believe in aliens, but the drake equation doesnt do it for me!

So many people so misunderstand the Drake Equation and the reason it was created its not even funny. It was never intended to give a definitive answer about how many aliens were out there.

It was to help guide thinking as to what kinds of experiments we would need to do to fill in the factors.

In short, it was a way of organizing and breaking down a big question in to bite sized pieces which could be attacked by various observations/experiments.

We only know out to ne with confidence. Everything after that is guess work but just 5 years ago ne was guess work.

Got ne all worked out ("Thanks Kepler!") On to fl !!!!!

I WANT MY E-ELT !!!
edit on 15-11-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

Sure,

But its still doesn't prove anything.

IMHO the megaliths here on Earth are baffling enough for us primitive species to not even be able to answer 'who built them' or why! No need to look to the stars when there are so many unasnwered questions here on Earth!

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

combatmaster

JadeStar

combatmaster

FlyersFan

coldkidc
The Drake equation ....

The Drake Equation - information here for those interested
As far as I'm concerned ... the Drake Equation proves with math the existence of MANY aliens.

Untrue good sir. You could be wrong...

Several of the parameters of the drake equation are not known at this time, and are very hard to estimate.

So in essence it is largely based on conjecture.

I still believe in aliens, but the drake equation doesnt do it for me!

So many people so misunderstand the Drake Equation and the reason it was created its not even funny. It was never intended to give a definitive answer about how many aliens were out there.

It was to help guide thinking as to what kinds of experiments we would need to do to fill in the factors.

In short, it was a way of organizing and breaking down a big question in to bite sized pieces which could be attacked by various observations/experiments.

We only know out to ne with confidence. Everything after that is guess work but just 5 years ago ne was guess work.

Got ne all worked out ("Thanks Kepler!") On to fl !!!!!

I WANT MY E-ELT !!!

Sure,

But its still doesn't prove anything.

IMHO the megaliths here on Earth are baffling enough for us primitive species to not even be able to answer 'who built them' or why! No need to look to the stars when there are so many unasnwered questions here on Earth!

Too much Ancient Aliens I see......(facepalm)

Did you even read what I wrote? The Drake Equation was never created to prove anything.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

I know what perchlorate is, as I said I would vary the times , dilution factors and treatment conditions for the PCR. PCR can pick up a single molecular of DNA in a sample. You are talking to someone who run a LOT of PCRs in his time!

Anyway perchlorate has been posed as a positive for life on Mars, as it's used as an energy source by microbes on Earth.
Just because it's toxic to us doesn't mean it's neccessarily a problem for some bacteria.

www.space.com...

Smith said microbes on Earth use perchlorate for an energy source. They actually live off highly oxidized chlorine, and in reducing the chlorine down to chloride, they use the energy in that transaction to power themselves. In fact, when there's too much perchlorate in drinking water, microbes are used to clean it up, he said.

Furthermore, seasonal flow features seen on Mars may be caused by high concentrations of the brines of perchlorate, which has a strong attraction to water and can drastically lower its freezing point, Smith told

PCR will work aswell on Mars as on Earth or across the other side of the galaxy, as long as you maintain the pressure and temperature you want, it's a very forgiving and flexible system, what's your point?

I'm well aware of the Viking experiments (it was me who mentioned them in this thread already).

Obviously (as I stated already) you would need to dig down further in the soil to avoid the cosmic and UV radiation which would break down nucleic acids rapidly. You shouldn't need to go too far to pick up a signal, but it may be that in Mars you do need to go down a long way. You don't know until you try. Curiosity could have been designed with a drill to go down further , it wasn't, I know that already.

Arguing about the problem of false positives is a strawman, you can get false positives with any diagnostic test. You obviously prepare plenty of controls. If you get a positive you will never know it is true or false without running follow up tests. Same for any test. Again this is exactly the type of test you want, something super sensitive. Yes it can be prone to false positives, but it's ideal as a first pass test!

As usual you talk about yourself without asking what other people's background is. I really like your SETI stuff, but you don't know enough about biological testing and need to have some humility about things you are not an expert on.

edit on 15-11-2013 by ManInAsia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

ManInAsia
reply to post by JadeStar

Arguing about the problem of false positives is a strawman, you can get false positives with any diagnostic test. You obviously prepare plenty of controls. If you get a positive you will never know it is true or false without running follow up tests. Same for any test. Again this is exactly the type of test you want, something super sensitive. Yes it can be prone to false positives, but it's ideal as a first pass test!

As usual you talk about yourself without asking what other people's background is. I really like your SETI stuff, but you don't know enough about biological testing and need to have some humility about things you are not an expert on.

Can you tell me how you would radiation shield your PCR? Do you know roughly what type and how much shielding you need to protect the experiment?

By the way, there -will- be (as of this writing) a deep drill on the 2016 Mars mission.

insight.jpl.nasa.gov...

Yay! for us!

But alas, still no PCR..... Like I said, if you can design a, small, cheap, light, radiation proof, PCR for use on Mars I am sure someone at JPL would like to talk with you given your expertise in biology.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I'm no engineer, but I know PCR, if DNA is there, there seems to be no better technique to detect it. And DNA pretty much means life as know it.

I'm puzzled about why it's not been included in current or near future probes. I've never seen a good argument why it hasn't. I'd really like to see the argument against it in the first place.

arep.med.harvard.edu...

www.genengnews.com...

There obviously are people in high up positions in NASA, MIT, Harvard etc. with the same thoughts, but they don't seem to have power or influence to get their instruments priority on these Mars missions. And I know their mission weight goal of

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join