It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MafiaLeaks site calls on victims to inform on gangsters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
BBC

The site is said to be aimed at victims or ex-criminals who would otherwise be too frightened to provide valuable intelligence to police or journalists.

But there are concerns that the site could be abused.

The mafiosi themselves may be able to provide false information anonymously in order to confuse investigations.

The BBC's Alan Johnston in Rome says contacting the police can be fraught with danger - there just might be a corrupt officer involved and word might get back to the gangsters, with the informer running the risk of murderous retribution.

Big fan. I myself am not much of a rat but i believe that our war on drugs has create an incredible sub culture of violence and gang activity. I am also all for people who witness people trafficking and other abuse will have a hopefully safe avenue to help people.

What say you?
edit on Sun Nov 10 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Quote Crash Course

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Big fan. I myself am not much of a rat but i believe that our war on drugs has create an incredible sub culture of violence and gang activity. I am also all for people who witness people trafficking and other abuse will have a hopefully safe avenue to help people.

What say you?

So instead of addressing what causes this hideous world, what controls it, we should aim our angst at all the players involved?

That's like saying kids in the daycare are made to fight each other over food, but when doesn't fight, the rest should gang up on them.

I'm not justifying the criminal underground here, since the government does that itself by letting informants carry out crimes for decades but as long as they turn over new (targets?) people, they get by and keep their take.

This culture of ratting out each other is humorous. Hilarious actually. Didn't the ATF just pass out firing squad photos to its people to show what they used to do to traitors?

Aren't all whistleblowers traitors???

But as long as the common folk all rat each other out, that's a-o-k!

I know this is Italy, but it kind of applies across the board. The ironic thing in Italy, and with this new system, is they claim that there are so many corrupt police and government officials that it's safer this way. How about you focus on those people! Or is that then become traitorous?

edit on 10-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

HUh?????????//

Your perspective is really odd...

Its good for the government to be held accountable for its evils and its good that criminals get checked and cant just go around scaring the crap out of everyone and torturing people endlessly with no recourse.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

HUh?????????//

Its good for the government to be held accountable for its evils and its good that criminals get checked and cant just go around scaring the crap out of everyone and torturing people endlessly with no recourse.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by boncho

HUh?????????//

Mafias bred out of clans, just like triads in China, and the funny thing is, they have always been a illegitimate form of government. And throughout their evolution, they have moved up through many legitimate governments. There is a long history of them forcing votes in elections, rigging elections and so on.

They control black markets, while governments control official markets. And the reason they exist is because there can be no rise to power in a market that is fully controlled.

In a sense, it is just the government fighting with itself.

So yes, I say target them and stop believing their bull shiza.

The influence goes right across the board, from legitimate to illegitimate. Governments around the world sponsor criminal activity with informants, "operatives" and "agents" and they all participate in these worlds while scooping up a couple idiots and blaming them for everything, yet their hands are covered in more blood than anyone.

So a site that can be used for more manipulation, that only encourages people to point fingers, I don't see it as a solution. Because people don't even realize who the targets should be.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If someone is trafficking people or children or kidnapping, or full fulling hits or enforcing against people they should be taken off the streets.

Just because the government is corrupt doesn't mean we should give up thats ludicrous.

These organizations are evil and treacherous to the community. The government isnt perfect either.

You sound like your involved the way your trying to spin it.

Im not talking about little gangsters either im talking about high level organized crime thats wrecking havoc in the streets and torturing and killing people over pennies. Dont try and brainwash me into thinking this is ok.
edit on 10-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It looks like a good initiative however has catastrophic consequences if misused or if the site was compromised and the said 'Mafia' came into contact with the databases. Face it, we know the Mafia have ways to access and find ways to get to people deep within organisations and the government.

While I agree that the community has a right to feel safe in their community, my advice would be to stay as far away from the Mafia's and other groups interests as to not become a target. If your not involved or have no views on their operations the chances of you and your family ending up in a barrel in the middle of a desert fall quite significantly.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by phantom150

True.

Stay out of their business. Didnt think about it likethat.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

If someone is trafficking people or children or kidnapping, or full fulling hits or enforcing against people they should be taken off the streets.

Ah yes, think of the children. Exactly where were the governments of the world in Africa with child soldiers? Oh right, supporting the warlords and funding them, giving them loans, taking their resources for cents on the dollar.

Just because the government is corrupt doesn't mean we should give up thats ludicrous.

Who said anything about giving up, I merely support knowing exactly how the system works, not blindly believing anything popular opinion supports.

These organizations are evil and treacherous to the community. The government isnt perfect either.

Which organizations? Which ones specifically, which ones do you know anything about besides able to label them, "organizations", can you even name one that you have information on and honestly say you know for certain it has had no government support? Because a lot of them have been tools of government. You didn't think that these quasi officials are masters of evasion living it up with all those ill gotten dollars right?

You sound like your involved the way your trying to spin it.

Ah yes, point fingers, there's a good one.

Im not talking about little gangsters either im talking about high level organized crime thats wrecking havoc in the streets and torturing and killing people over pennies.

You know all about them apparently, can you name them for us. (or [using your logic] *cough* you must be in on it!)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

… or full fulling hits or enforcing against people they should be taken off the streets.

Unless they point fingers, in which they should be put back on the streets?

ccording to the U.S. Marshall’s Service, 8,500 witnesses have taken on new identities since the witness protection program begin in 1971.

www.forbes.com...

On June 12, 2013, Bulger went on trial for 32 counts of racketeering, money laundering, extortion, and weapons charges; including his complicity in 19 murders.[18] On August 12, 2013, he was found guilty on 31 counts, including both racketeering charges, and was found to have been involved in 11 murders.[19]

This fellow was protected by law enforcement most of his criminal career.

Special Agent John Connolly frequently boasted to his fellow agents about how he had recruited Bulger at a late night meeting at Wollaston Beach inside an FBI issue car. Connolly allegedly said that the Bureau could help in Bulger's feud with Mafia underboss Gennaro Angiulo. After listening to the pitch, Bulger is said to have responded, "Alright, if they want to play checkers, we'll play chess. # 'em."[37]
Weeks considers it more likely that Bulger's partner Stephen Flemmi had betrayed him to the FBI. He writes of his belief that Bulger was caught between a rock and a hard place: supply information to the FBI or return to Federal prison.[38]

And the kicker:

A federal judge ruled on September 5, 2006, that the mishandling of Bulger and Flemmi caused the 1984 murder of informant John McIntyre. As a result, the McIntyre family was ordered to receive more than $3 million from the U.S. Federal Government. The judge stated the FBI failed to properly supervise their own agent John Connolly (convicted and jailed in 2002) and also failed to investigate numerous allegations that Bulger and Flemmi were involved in drug trafficking, murder, and other crimes over decades

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Source

That's really the tip of the iceberg though, a reflection of a deeper problem in how sponsored criminality is allowed to operate. In this case, there was a prosecution, but everyday the same kind of thing happens and is kosher within the confines of the law.

And if you want to consider a larger front, the "bigger operations", then you can look at things like Fast & Furious, The Iran Contra affair, the alphabets working to overthrow legitimate governments in unfriendly nations,

WASHINGTON — For idealistic American journalists who were working in Latin America in the l950s and '60s, one of their most incessant and righteous complaints about their own government was how it courted and supported the whole lineup of brutal rightist dictators there.

articles.chicagotribune.com...

The story of the American involvement in Sierra Leone is coming out in bits and pieces, but we can already see that the Clinton administration's unrepentant policy there has been to empower one of the cruelest torturers and mass murderers of our times. And the story is far from over.

And while the UN admits failures, they don't seem to address the root of the problem:

(Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned world powers on Thursday not to repeat in Syria the mistakes they made in Bosnia, during a landmark visit to Srebrenica where U.N. peacekeepers failed to prevent the massacre of 8,000 Muslim men and boys.

www.reuters.com...

Why exactly did the Yugoslavian war happen, there were no outside influences? One of the most strategic places in Europe and no one cared?

In 1979, the BND (German CIA) sent a team of secret agents to Zagreb.

Mission: to support Franjo Tudjman, a racist who actively promoted ethnic hatred and did all he could toward the break-up of Yugoslavia.

Germany supported and financed this Croatian Le Pen, and sent him arms before the war.

To what end?

Berlin never acknowledged the existence of the unified Yugoslav state which had courageously resisted German aggression in the two world wars.

By once more breaking Yugoslavia into easily dominated mini-states, Germany sought to control the Balkans.

aangirfan.blogspot.ca...

4 Did the World Bank and the IMF help in destroying this country?

YES.

In December 1989, the IMF imposed draconian conditions on Yugoslavia which forced liberal prime minister Markovic to beg for aid from George Bush Sr.

This 'help' was aimed at destabilizing and bankrupting all large state-owned businesses.

But of course, it's always about race and creed. Suddenly some dictator pops up and wants to an genocide an entire populace. It is merely coincidence that every time this happens, there seems to be some outside influence of intelligence agencies and/or foreign government or banking powers.

And for some reason, after the smoke settles a whole bunch of new business is struck.

I mean, Libya, must have been about, simply, people unhappy with their leader, which I guess means some type of outside support is needed. (official BBC reason)

Why did the trouble start in Libya?

Some people in Libya started protesting against their leader Colonel Gaddafi because they were fed up with the way he has ruled the country.

The protests were peaceful at first but they turned into a violent confrontation.

Col Gaddafi lost a lot of Libya's main towns to rebel fighters who were trying to get rid of him.

www.bbc.co.uk...

But that's odd, because outside support only seems to happen when there is a mountain of valuable resources lying in the ground.

Plenty of smaller countries have problems with their governments, but then no action, if they are not sitting on a cache of precious something.

Even more odd that Gaddafi was one of the few leaders who passed down oil profits to his people (the man was certifiably nuts I admit) but the general consensus among africans I spoke to favoured Gaddafi. He used to be my avatar.

I am sure, just like in Egypt, where everything was progressive and it was only when the US wanted their whipping boy out, that the people decided they wanted a more barbaric Muslim regime in power.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Well, they provide false information (occasionally) and resources are wasted in areas they shouldn't be used, which I'm sure would put us in the same place we are today...wasting resources...

But...... I'm sure there will be instances, possibly rare (I guess only time will tell), where legitimate tips come in and criminals are brought to justice...

With most things today you have good and bad, pros and cons... This is know different

Btw- local cities around my community (of chicago) have crime stoppers phone numbers where you leave anonymous tips.. Not sure how this is any different.. It's up to the police, FBI, etc. to determine if a tip is credible or not
edit on 10-11-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Btw- local cities around my community (of chicago) have crime stoppers phone numbers where you leave anonymous tips..

And is your local community free of crime? What about an anonymous tip line for government officials (isn't Chicago known for corruption?)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Its got nothing to do with children and Africa, your premise is ridiculous.

I dont understand what your supporting?

Are you really supporting organized crime?

Whats the root of the problem, and do you have any solutions?

Obviously if i knew anything about any crime syndicates YOU are not a person i would be disclosing any information to especially on a public forum.

Sheesh,
edit on 11-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You really are a shill master.

Your response to the other poster in this thread is almost as pointless as everything else youve post.

You offer no solutions, only to point out obvious flaws and corruption in government that everyone is well aware while simultaneously using that as evidence against the idea of whats presented in the OP.

Crazy,

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

You offer no solutions, only to point out obvious flaws and corruption in government that everyone is well aware while simultaneously using that as evidence against the idea of whats presented in the OP.

Be wary of people who offer solutions, as they are sometimes the cause of problems.

Obviously if i knew anything about any crime syndicates YOU are not a person i would be disclosing any information to especially on a public forum.

I thought you knew all about them? If you missed my point entirely (which seems you have) is that the same people responsible for all the things I posted in the thread are responsible for labelling a group a "crime syndicate" just like one day muslim fighters are freedom fighters and one day they are terrorists. It's a game of flip flop, and whoever is on side of the current administration (in power) suddenly gets legitimacy.

So I ask, what do you get out of the people on the bottom? If they all tell on each other and get themselves arrested? What happens? Does it end?

I dont understand what your supporting?

What does understanding power structures have to do with supporting something?

Are you really supporting organized crime?

Quote me on that please.
edit on 11-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

By the way, did I strike a nerve in my posts, you are an admitted felon?
edit on 11-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

top topics

join