It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Texas Judge Gets Jail Time for Wrongfully Convicting an Innocent Man When He Was a Prosecutor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Today in Texas, former prosecutor and judge Ken Anderson pled guilty to intentionally failing to disclose evidence in a case that sent an innocent man, Michael Morton, to prison for the murder of his wife. When trying the case as a prosecutor, Anderson possessed evidence that may have cleared Morton, including statements from the crime's only eyewitness that Morton wasn't the culprit. Anderson sat on this evidence, and then watched Morton get convicted. While Morton remained in prison for the next 25 years, Anderson's career flourished, and he eventually became a judge.

source

10 days in jail and 500 hours of community service doesn't even approach adequate punishment for purposefully withholding evidence that would have exonerated a man thereby robbing him of 25 years of his life. What's significant is that this is apparently the first time that a prosecutor has done jail time for this type of misconduct.

After spending nearly 25 years in prison for the murder of his wife, Michael Morton was released on October 4, 2011, and officially exonerated in December. DNA evidence implicated another man, who has also been tied to a similar Texas murder that occurred two years after the murder of Morton’s wife.

soure

10 DAYS. 10 F'N DAYS. The danger posed to society by this type of insidious corruption is staggering. If this represents the most severe punishment for such an egregious violation of ethical conduct, then there is a total lack of deterrence.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

This is just scary. To think how many tines this must have happened...

Ten days jail, and some probation for this, is outrageous! How disgusting.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Just FYI this was posted yesterday
Here

Lil

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Lilroanie
Just FYI this was posted yesterday
Here

Lil

Ugh! I hate when that happens. What makes it worse is I just went to the home page and it's right up at the top. My search terms were apparently terrible. My apologies, S&F'd your post.

After seeing your post, I do feel better because I was having a hard time understanding why nobody thought this was worth talking about and now I see it's because they were already doing it elsewhere!

edit on 10-11-2013 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join