It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does The Poppy Glorify War?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

"So how come we are still fighting them then ?" Quote Ismail

Because people are idiotically expecting that for some reason the ranks of poulation that could really protest, because they are affected by it, really give a damn about whether you want to wear a poppy or not...the money for a stupid, symbolically-infused poppy goes to making someones life easier...and whatever your armchair philosophy on war is, it, in actuality achieves nix...but a measly $2.00 will...

Å99

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

I don't dispute that it's more than just a small minority, there's a significant percentage of Celtic supporters who for whatever reason choose to distance themselves from what they believe the poppy symbolises, but I assure you it's not all of them.
Only yesterday I had a couple of pints with two friends of mine who were both born in Glasgow and who are long standing season ticket holders at Parkhead. Both strongly disagree with the sentiments expressed by those who make those public displays of their 'anti-poppy' opinions, but of course their opinions aren't sensationalist and aren't reported.
Celtic as a Club take a neautral stance on it not wishing to alienate any of their supporters.

It's worth noting that sections of both Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday fans have allegedly displayed exactly the same sentiments of the 'anti-poppy' Celtic fans yet there has been absolutely no reporting of it in MSM - I wonder why that is?
edit on 10/11/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mistersmith

The thing I find sad is that the governments that force the soldiers to war, to this day, are also the governments that enforce a national day of mourning, which would be appropriate if it weren't so hypocritical. Even as a child it felt wrong in a confused sense. The meaning gets lost when "never again" keeps happening. And with ever growing frequency.

Nobody should die for their crap wars.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

akushla99
reply to post by Ismail

Because people are idiotically expecting that for some reason the ranks of poulation that could really protest, because they are affected by it, really give a damn about whether you want to wear a poppy or not...the money for a stupid, symbolically-infused poppy goes to making someones life easier...and whatever your armchair philosophy on war is, it, in actuality achieves nix...but a measly $2.00 will...

Å99

You made a good point. So where now ?

Also...

Do you work in the poppy sector ?

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by igloo

The government don't 'enforce' remembrance day, its an appeal run by the Royal British Legion.

ALS

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by igloo

Igloo writes :-

"The thing I find sad is that the governments that force the soldiers to war, to this day, are also the governments that enforce a national day of mourning, which would be appropriate if it weren't so hypocritical. Even as a child it felt wrong in a confused sense. The meaning gets lost when "never again" keeps happening. And with ever growing frequency."

Exactly! That was my childhood experience too.
First the realisation that we were being lied to by supposedly omniscient grown-ups -- then the feeling of alienation as I realised that everyone else around me seemed to be meekly accepting the lie.

Whilst finding the wearing of a poppy inappropriate as an honest expression of my own feelings, I can see that someone else may have a different view, and for whom the wearing of this symbol is an important part of their lives.
I don't need to share their view to respect their sincerity.
And if they are sincere, and return my respect -- why should I care what they believe?

This is a subject which demands that we know where we stand, and why -- not one where we should try to alter the opinions of others.
That's their business.

mistersmith.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Ismail

akushla99
reply to post by Ismail

Å99

You made a good point. So where now ?

Also...

Do you work in the poppy sector ?

Damn! The jig is up, isn't it?

$2.00 measley dollars, man...you don't have to wear the stupid, cheap wire and crepe paper monstrosity...you do't have to compromise your politico-philosophical views...

I hate frickin war, I hate anything to do with it...but, alot of shellshocked (maybe naiive) people and thier families are dealing with situations that governments could be paying out on - but they ain't...we gotta fill the breach with a measley $2.00...

Cheers dude

Å99

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

So Ismail, you can discharge your social responsibility, and join the ranks of the sanctified charitable for a "measley $2."
Sounds a good cheap deal to me, it's a wonder we aren't all saints.
Could you see your way to lending me a fiver -- I want to be a real hero....

mistersmith.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

mistersmith
reply to post by Ismail

So Ismail, you can discharge your social responsibility, and join the ranks of the sanctified charitable for a "measley $2."
Sounds a good cheap deal to me, it's a wonder we aren't all saints.
Could you see your way to lending me a fiver -- I want to be a real hero....

mistersmith.

...and what would you do with the $1.00 left over?

You are a real hero...

Å99

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

I don't think I'll be buying, but thank you for the food for thought you just provided.

Maybe next year. If your poppy farm is still running that is...

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
reply to post by purplemer

The Red poppy represents the blood spilled for our nation!

White may well signify peace but you have to remember peace has its price, and that price is often bloody!

NO IT DOES NOT!!!

This common mistake gives leverage to those white poppy fools and is an insult in itself. The red poppy was the very first plant to grow again in the mud of the Western Front after years of carnage, the red poppy represents life where there was previously only death.

The White poppy is an insult that not only pisses on the graves of veterans, it also denies surviving veterans much needed support as the money from red poppies, but not white ones, goes to support charities like the British Legion.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

As long as it goes to a charity i could not really care less as to the colour of the flower. As to the white Poppy being an insult that pisses on the graves of veterans, that's a bit strong, hardly the intention i imagine.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
It's not only remembering those who die, but the whole futility of wars. We also won the freedom to wear what we damn well choose. White poppy red poppy no one should be forced or feel compelled to wear either or anything, that's the freedom we were fighting for. Not a freedom restricted by certain ideologies

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I always wear a red poppy. A white poppy is aspirational and a political message that "killing never solves anything", whereas a red poppy recognises the realities of what has happened.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

It may be a bit strong, but my feelings on the matter are strong. The red poppy represents life, not blood, and therefore the is no need for a white poppy at all. The white poppy is not being respectful, it's is just different for the sake of it, a self centred "look at me!" gesture. And one that lines pockets rather than supporting those who gave, or risked, everything for us.

It is my belief that support for white poppies, while coming from the best of intentions, is borne out of ignorance of what the red poppy actually stands for. That's the only reason I replied to your particular post Andy.

edit on 22-10-2015 by waynos because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join