It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First garage sale and some observations....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I had my first garage sale today. It went well and I made a little extra cash, most of which will go into my sons college fund. Yup at 5mths he has a college fund.

I had a TON of baby clothes, maternity and all my pre-pregnancy clothes. Well being the OCD organizer I am I had every table organized and designed like you would see in a dept store. I washed and folded EVERYTHING and organized it all by style and color. lol Yea I know that is a lot for a garage sale but it does make shopping easier on the eyes in any environment.

Well I noticed something over the last couple days, people are MORE respectful of tables of clothes when it's at your house vs the store or so it seemed.

I think this is because it's YOUR property and it's not a job. People have more respect it seems for your home and personal space than they do for you at your job. I can only guess that in peoples mind that when you are at a store working "it's your job" to fold those tables so it shouldn't matter how many times they mess it up, it's YOUR job. Now whether people do this on purpose or it's instinctual I have no idea. Again this is all my observation from working in retail. I have worked retail on and off for over a decade. People are just animals when it comes to tables, they will mess an entire table up in mins right after you folded it. It never really bothered me because well it IS part of the job but some people were just so blatantly rude about it and that bothered me at times. I noticed people at the garage sale even FOLDED items and put them back. I can't even remember seeing someone fold items they looked at let alone put it back where it came from.

***I know not everyone tosses clothes about, this is my observation after years in retail.

Now on the other side of it. I did have someone steal two pairs of jeans that were only $1 a piece! I had a TON of clothes that were mine pre-baby. I know it will take some time to get back to that size and I'm slowly losing it at the right pace. Well I didn't want to have all these clothes I can't wear for another 4 mths or so taking up all my dresser/closet space. I had everything marked for $1 yet someone still stole over $2 bucks! If she didn't have the $2 I would have just given them to her. I remember who she was because she kept looking at them and then I went inside to grab my son who was fussing and came back out and she was at her car. She came back up and bought a couple things so I just thought she went to get money. I noticed when the next person came and they looked at the whole table of clothes. The girl was 13 and I knew she'd like these jeans and they'd fit her well that is when I realized they were gone. I was shocked but not surprised someone stole from a garage sale. I winded up giving all my clothes to this 13 yr old girl. She reminded me a lot of myself at 13 when it came to fashion. I knew she'd enjoy the clothes. I mean what 13yr old wouldn't love a huge garbage bag full of free clothes?!
I know I would have loved that if it were me. If she wore my shoe size i would have given her my shoes too lol.

In the end it was a good first garage sale, even with the theft of the jeans lol still can't believe that. I had a lot of baby stuff left over. My friend and I combined baby stuff so there was enough for probably 4 kids!! I gave the bassinet and split half the left over clothes to the girl up the street that worked in one of the shops. She had stopped by in the morning and was admiring the bassinet but I could tell she couldn't afford it. When the sale was over I went down to her work and told her she could have it and to just come by after and pick it up. She was so happy I thought she was going to cry. She said she had been talking about it all day. I spilt half the left over clothes with her and another girl. She was so happy to get the items. She is 6mths pregnant and doesn't have anything. I felt bad for her and wanted to give her something to help her out. I know where she works and her name. I'm going to keep anything I get rid of of Liam's for her and drop them off periodically. She is having a boy and I'd rather give the items to someone who needs them than sell them at some shop or consignment. Sure the money is nice but helping someone else who needs it is better.

I listed everything online and let me tell you people definitely look online at places like FB and Craigslist! I had many who stopped by because of the listings on FB and Craigslist!

The only big bulk I had left was the maternity but I will put that up on FB. It isn't mine so I can't just give it away. I told my friend I'd help her sell it.

All in all it was a good two day sale!

I was even happy someone bought one of my "project" tables. I never got a chance to refinish it so I was happy she bought it to make it into a chalk board table for her grandkids. At least someone will finish it!

SO ATS do you have any crazy garage sale stories?!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I work at a book store and I can SO relate to your comments about people leaving a mess because it's the employees' job to clean them up. It's ridiculous when a person can't put a book on the stack they took it from, but instead leave it on the stack right next to it. Why!? I have even heard parents say to kids, "Just leave it. It's the lady's job to pick it up" after their kids have trashed the store. But, as you said, frustrating as it is, we do get paid for working there and picking up messes so I grin and bear it.

People are much more respectful when going through a strangers's stuff at a yard sale! They tend to pick things up gingerly and place them back where they got them. Maybe because it's a less anonymous and more personal interaction than a retail store.

My husband sells stuff on ebay so we go to a lot of yard and garage sales! People are funny some times, especially if they feel like you're creeping on an item that they've already "claimed". I've seen someone practically elbow my husband out of the way to prevent him from looking at an item they want, which people wouldn't typically do in a store! (Except maybe on Black Friday! LOL!)

And we also have had people steal stuff when we've put on our own yard sales. Sometimes the items were so cheap, you wonder if the person just stole it for kicks rather than lack of funds. Interesting social situations yard sales are!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Thank you for making those people happy. It really is the best thing in the world- making someone happy...whether it's a fellow two legger, or a furry four legger, it's always worth it.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It's great to see people treat your belongings well. I think it has a lot to do with how you treat your own stuff. i've seen people treat stuff pretty poorly at garage sales but usually when it's just things jammed in a box.

Perception is a big part of behavior.

I took a bunch of shirts and pants to a homeless shelter a few years back. They said they didn't want them. I said why?
The guy took me to a room that was about 20 feet wide, 40 feet long and full from floor to ceiling with clothes. Wadded up and piled high like garbage at a dump. It would have taken two tractor trailers to get rid of all of those clothes.

I walked the guy back out to my truck and opened the bed cover. I had about 25 shirts, 10 pair of pants and a few suits in there. Everything was cleaned and pressed and still had the dry cleaning tags and plastic bags over them.

He was shocked.

He accepted the clothes and thanked me profusely.

It never occurred to me how lousy it would make someone feel to be handed a garbage bag of old clothes.

Now, every fall, I go down to that shelter and all of the guys on the job program pick out three sets of shirts and two pairs of pants and a coat from the giant room-O-clothes. I take their clothes out to be dry cleaned and bring them back a few days later. For 75 bucks I can get a dozen guys dressed out to go to job interviews and have decent work clothes.
It's worth every penny.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have a friend who has some 'unusual' hobbies.

One of them is to go to garage sales and leave something, instead of buying something. He likes to think about them wondering at the end of the day, 'where did THIS come from...?'

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

katydidwonder
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I work at a book store and I can SO relate to your comments about people leaving a mess because it's the employees' job to clean them up. It's ridiculous when a person can't put a book on the stack they took it from, but instead leave it on the stack right next to it. Why!? I have even heard parents say to kids, "Just leave it. It's the lady's job to pick it up" after their kids have trashed the store. But, as you said, frustrating as it is, we do get paid for working there and picking up messes so I grin and bear it.

Yea my mom thought I was crazy for my little experiment til she noticed it as well.

As someone who has worked in retail for years I ALWAYS put things back and even find my self straightening racks as I look lol. I have had many places make comments about it. I was even told to apply for a few jobs recently and if I had a sitter for my son I'd be all over it. I actually LIKE retail. I even have a habit if I see something in the wrong place at the store I'll put it back. My husband is one of those "just leave it" types and I tell him it doesn't take but a min to put it back.

People are much more respectful when going through a strangers's stuff at a yard sale! They tend to pick things up gingerly and place them back where they got them. Maybe because it's a less anonymous and more personal interaction than a retail store.

That is what I think too.

My husband sells stuff on ebay so we go to a lot of yard and garage sales! People are funny some times, especially if they feel like you're creeping on an item that they've already "claimed". I've seen someone practically elbow my husband out of the way to prevent him from looking at an item they want, which people wouldn't typically do in a store! (Except maybe on Black Friday! LOL!)

Haha I didn't see that but it was my first garage sale. I do see this in thrift stores though. OMG look out! I did have a lady in a Ross take an iron Eiffel Tower right out of my hands! I grabbed it first and she came out of nowhere and said I saw it first. I was like OMG wtf. I then turned around and showed her my tattoo of the Eiffel Tower and said I trump you and that was then end of that. I walked off with my Eiffel Tower. I couldn't believe it!! She literally came out of nowhere off of one of the aisles right by the home section and basically leaped to grab it as I took it off the shelf!! People are CRAZY!

And we also have had people steal stuff when we've put on our own yard sales. Sometimes the items were so cheap, you wonder if the person just stole it for kicks rather than lack of funds. Interesting social situations yard sales are!

That they are!

yea garage sales are pretty cheap. I know I can go garage sale shopping with $20 bucks and come home with a car full. lol

Funny this was the first day, Friday, we had mostly MEN stopping by. I was shocked lol Our first sale was to a guy, he bought my moms red wagon. lol They mostly asked for tools or fishing stuff.
edit on 11/10/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Hushabye
Thank you for making those people happy. It really is the best thing in the world- making someone happy...whether it's a fellow two legger, or a furry four legger, it's always worth it.

Yea I felt bad that they didn't have anything. I have far more than I need for my little one. I shop second hand and a lot of things were gifts. Having a kid on your own isn't cheap and it's hard so I wanted to help them in some way. I now know they both need it and will be having boys so instead of trading my stuff for credit i'll just give it to them. I had intended on donating the stuff to the thrift stores and to a local children's store that gives you store credit but I really don't need it. My son has so much clothing I won't need any for a year or more, no joke. A parent at where my mom works gave us a 55 gallon tub FULL of clothes for him and my goodness there is a ton! She even has more coming. I have to get another dresser lol

I was happy to give her the bassinet, she was so happy. We got it as a gift and I am happy someone will get some use out of it.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

badgerprints
It's great to see people treat your belongings well. I think it has a lot to do with how you treat your own stuff. i've seen people treat stuff pretty poorly at garage sales but usually when it's just things jammed in a box.

Perception is a big part of behavior.

That is true! I would never jam anything in a box lol my OCD would have a fit! I had to organize by style and color lol. It's habit!

I walked the guy back out to my truck and opened the bed cover. I had about 25 shirts, 10 pair of pants and a few suits in there. Everything was cleaned and pressed and still had the dry cleaning tags and plastic bags over them.

He was shocked.

He accepted the clothes and thanked me profusely.

Oh yea!! I took some clothes a couple years ago to a Goodwill, before they changed, and they were shocked i had everything cleaned and organized. I had a trunk full of clothes. They said they don't get many people who clean and organize things. She said usually it's dumped in a bag all dirty. I washed EVERYTHING that was sold at the garage sale. I did laundry all day Wednesday and Thursday lol

Now, every fall, I go down to that shelter and all of the guys on the job program pick out three sets of shirts and two pairs of pants and a coat from the giant room-O-clothes. I take their clothes out to be dry cleaned and bring them back a few days later. For 75 bucks I can get a dozen guys dressed out to go to job interviews and have decent work clothes.
It's worth every penny.

That is awesome of you!! What a great thing to do. Hmm I should do something like this. I always find suits for cheap and they would help a lot of women esp find jobs. I have a closet full of nice suits I got for a couple bucks. I don't think I'll be wearing them any time soon. Thanks for the idea! I had been wondering what to do with them. I will have to look into how I would go about doing this. I would really enjoy it too.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

signalfire
I have a friend who has some 'unusual' hobbies.

One of them is to go to garage sales and leave something, instead of buying something. He likes to think about them wondering at the end of the day, 'where did THIS come from...?'

That is funny!!!

Yea I'd be left going WTH?!

I like your friend!

new topics

top topics

join