It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group air-dropping homemade balloons on North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Over the past year, one Colorado missionary group has released 50,000 40-foot homemade, hydrogen-filled balloons outfitted with something any North Korean -- and three generations of their family -- could go to jail for owning.

In all sincerity, I have to question the wisdom of dropping bibles into a country(even in rural areas) that persecutes Christianity to the point of public executions(See article). If you're going to give them 50,000 of anything, let it be food, clothing, and the other necessities of life, that many of these people are doing without. Giving them something they need will speak a lot louder than giving them something they, and their families will suffer dire consequences for. Especially since I'm sure this practice has not escaped the notice of the N. Korean government.

Source

edit on 11/9/2013 by Klassified because: unbold

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

They will just use them to burn to keep themselves warm..or firelighters.
You are right If they really wanted to help dropping something of use would be better...just a PR stunt this.
edit on 9-11-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

. If you're going to give them 50,000 of anything, let it be food, clothing, and the other necessities of life, that many of these people are doing without.

Yes, this would make more sense. And they can throw a little cross on there to let them know where it's coming from.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Exactly. They could even throw in a card with a few verses, and a prayer on it. At least that's quickly and easily hidden.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I have a belief and I'm burning up inside that you don't share it! Stories like this always make me think of a lyric "He can't even run his own life I'll be damned if he'll run mine." The stupidity of religion is......No!...No! I'm slipping into rant mode! GRRRrrrrrrrr!!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Nice, I just love to think of all the critters that will ingest these things..

Dumb asses.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

...Wow. Talk about insensitive.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
North and south Korea have been sending these balloons back and forth for decades. They drop propaganda items on each other constantly. I used to have some north korean propaganda leaflets, cartoons basically, that said US servicemen killed and ate south korean babies.

Yes, I picked them up myself while patrolling the DMZ so no need to call me a liar or demand a source.

The south koreans would send propaganda leaflets, books, playing cards and even lingerie back north to be dropped.

Having possession of any of this stuff could get a north Korean a death sentence along with imprisonment for their friends and family.

Of course, all of this is happily ignored in the ongoing Trollfest that is the ATS religion forum.

Enjoy your bashing.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Just a thought but are these things translated into Korean or are they dropping english bibles into N.K. how many people there can actually read english.

So some guy finds this book not knowing what it is brings it home and gets caught with it and goes to jail and his family . Typical chirstian think of only themselves and not the consequences ... Idiots

As mentioned there was better things to be aiding these people with like food or clothing

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Reminds me of the time I had no life and so I spent most of my time listening to the radio stations I could pick up around the house. I picked up on one station where they were talking about some troubles in Egypt (this was back in 2003 or so) and how it was because they weren't Christians. Apparently, God was giving them problems for not adhering to his edicts. Needless to say, that station was swiftly shuffled to the back of the ranks.

But I was reminded of that incident by the sheer audacity of these people. Of all things to airdrop, you choose the least useful. I mean, bibles make for good tinder - I would know, tee hee - but still!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Is your reply coming from the same sentiment as the astronaut coming back to earth and preaching the fragility of the earth?...Just curious.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Of course, all of this is happily ignored in the ongoing Trollfest that is the ATS religion forum.

Enjoy your bashing.

I bashed no one. I questioned the wisdom of it, and offered an alternative.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Sorry, I searched "bible korea" before starting my thread and I missed this one entirely. S&F for you.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

Not a problem. The mods will sometimes let two threads on the same topic run. This may be one of those times.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

boncho

. If you're going to give them 50,000 of anything, let it be food, clothing, and the other necessities of life, that many of these people are doing without.

Yes, this would make more sense. And they can throw a little cross on there to let them know where it's coming from.

And if Kim asks them, they can just say it's from Sesame Street. "This can of tuna is brought to you by the letter 't'".

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
According to the New Testament all the rich capitalist pigs are going to hell.
This will probably reinforce their beliefs.

I'm not quite sure if anything in the Bible is supposed to shock them, or make them more humble than they already are.

I'm surprised they haven't love bombed the US with a similar cult campaign.

At least homophobia and the execution of gay people could form a new area of shared values between the totalitarian Comintern, Islamism and Biblical fundamentalists.
One big hateful family.
And expanding the common circle of Occidentalist hate can blossom forth from that basis.

Nice going telling them it's not OK to torture and imprison all those people - it should only be done to some people.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i didnt know you could eat a bible.

many people have had faith on jesus for many years. waiting to be fed by him.
they are still waiting.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
In South Korea, Christian churches send balloons with socks over the border. Socks are apparently super valuable and definitely used for bartering. So it's not like Christian's don't sent useful things over there. Especially South Koreans, since many of them still have great love for their brothers and sisters overseas.

top topics

join