It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Online Hunting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Hunting, a noble sport in which man pits himself against the elements and his prey to accomplish a goal as old as mankind. At least thats how it should be. However between tree stands, artificial pheromones, and long range rifles hunting has more and more become a sport of lazy men sitting around waiting for something to shoot. Now in a final perversion of what hunting should be you can sit at home, on your computer, and bag that animal.

www.cnn.com
HOUSTON, Texas (Reuters) -- Hunters soon may be able to sit at their computers and blast away at animals on a Texas ranch via the Internet, a prospect that has state wildlife officials up in arms.

The Web site already offers target practice with a .22 caliber rifle and could soon let hunters shoot at deer, antelope and wild pigs, site creator John Underwood said on Tuesday.

Texas officials are not quite sure what to make of Underwood's Web site, but may tweak existing laws to make sure Internet hunting does not get out of hand.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As a hunter myself I have always disdained the use of artificial lures and treestands, feeling that the only proper way to hunt is to track your prey down honestly. To my way of thinking spraying a phereomone, sitting in a treestand and drinking hot coffee just isn't sporting. This however is the ultimate insult to your prey. To sit at home in a well heated room at your computer and fire a gun remotely at an animal which has no chance to spot, smell, or hear you, is not hunting it is slaugther.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I hunt at our farm in Missouri. I have been on a 'canned hunt' one time in Texas. That should be outlawed. Its wrong, waaaaayyyyy wrong. I guess next someone will come up with www.drivebyshooting.com.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
awesome! i'm so there. how about 'virtualgenocide.com' or 'smokemout.org'...doomsday is such a sexy concept.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hmmmm...

Remote political assassinations....

That's some scary technology. I'm surprised a civilian came up with it first. He probably didn't.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
ohhh, yeah. hadn't even thought of remote assassinations. that's horrrible, but i guess someone would have thought of it eventually. maybe we can do it and make a few bucks.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Remore assassinations already exist. The U.S. assassinated some Al Qaida guys in Yemen using a missle fired at a car from a remote controlled drone aircraft sometime last year. It was all over the news. Not quite the same as doing it from your lazy boy, but remote none-the-less.

top topics

join