It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Prison Violence Real or a Myth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
There are all sorts of stories involving prison violence, particularly when some men's identity is forcefully reconstructed to become that of a female. Does this hold water or is this just a myth created by the people on the outside? If you ever went to prison, please share your opinion on this. Cheers!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but it's a short report in support of the "Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003". This has some of the most recent data. Among it's points...

(Source)

I got that from the PDF version of it. It looks like it may be more common than some think, while not as widespread as media portrays it. It's a 'society within a society' comprised of many of the most predatory human beings any society can produce though, so I'd say violence and victimization is a given.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i can tell you that in the prison here it absolutely happens.

i know two people that can testify to the fact.
one is a prison guard and one is a er nurse.

both have told me what they have seen.
edit on 9-11-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
A good friend of mine was in prison for several years. Yes it is real. Prisoners get killed by other prisoners and don't get caught. It happens all the time. Many of the guards are criminals in their own right so crime doesn't stop in prison.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FlowThruSpace

There are all sorts of stories involving prison violence, particularly when some men's identity is forcefully reconstructed to become that of a female. Does this hold water or is this just a myth created by the people on the outside?

How do think those on the outside know these stories, it is because they hear about them from people on the inside.

Here is a good video on the violence that happens in prison...

edit on 9-11-2013 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

FlowThruSpace
particularly when some men's identity is forcefully reconstructed to become that of a female.

Care to elaborate? Like forced into having a sex change? Although there are prisoners who decide on a sex change operation in prison, I have never heard of it being forced on somebody.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

Care to elaborate? Like forced into having a sex change? Although there are prisoners who decide on a sex change operation in prison, I have never heard of it being forced on somebody.

I think he is saying certain inmates make other inmates their bitch with no sex change involved.

Prison is a lonely place with no females.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I did a thread on prison rape recently,

More men in the US are raped than women.

All due to prison rape, so yea violence in prison is real.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

You off for a scheduled stay at the Governments pleasure mate?

If so, unfortunately...yes, prison violence is very true.

If you show weakness, unless you are worth a fair bit stashed away somewhere for bribes and promisary notes, you're going to be a target immediately.

My advice?

If someone has a pop at you, summon everything you have and pop back twice as hard, twice as violently..or you will be in for a really rough time.

The trick is to leave them wondering and hopefully weary of what you have, that they can't see.

It could backfire, but those are the breaks i suppose.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

This is no myth. I wrote a book focused on a notorious man that's been in a California state prison for many years. For the story I met and exchanged letters with him and one of his cell mates for several years. I was very interested in the prison systems functions. Daily happenings for those incarcerated.
The two men I had contact with are housed in the PHU (Protective Housing Unit), which means they cannot be among the majority inmates.
Rape is common in the general population area, not the PHU because the PHU holds only approximately a dozen men. If rape would occur inside the PHU, the person that raped would not live to see the next day.
Each prisoner is treated differently. Some are targeted by guards. Basically, you are favored or not. If you're not, the guards will find reasons for additional punishment..... 30 days in the Hole/Solitary confinement as an example. If you are favored you will receive special treatment.
Prisoners have the option to work and get paid but the pay is extremely low. Some prisoners will work just to have something to do.
They receive one hour outside per day. There are many rules to their mail, visitations, eating, what they can keep in their cells, etc..
It's been said many times over that when a person goes to prison and is released, they are worse than they were before entering.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

tsurfer2000h

I think he is saying certain inmates make other inmates their bitch with no sex change involved.

Prison is a lonely place with no females.

Went right over my head....thanks for clarifying.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The keyword here is 'reported'. You can be sure that the actual number is a lot higher, but people won't say a word as that is seen as snitching. I have worked in a home for drug-addicted homeless men for a couple of years, most of whom had been in prison for a while. Even there, if someone had done something to them, they wouldn't report it, either out of fear to get a lot more the next time, or, and more often, because in that 'society' you don't talk to the police or even the social workers.

From what I heard from those living there, being sexually assaulted in prison is pretty common, unless you have lots of friends or so.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sirrurg

Indeed... It's a pathetic situation too. We call them Departments of Correction when it's anything but. Gladiator School is one reference, herd often enough.

What really surprised me was seeing a show where a film crew had embedded in a Russian Prison. One of the Siberian Labor camps, much like the 'Pussy Riot' members were sentenced to. I expected something like the Soviet Gulag system of old, but what they filmed was so completely different, it set me back.

Oh, the Russians don't play and automatic rifles weren't JUST in the towers. The guards within, had them too. I think the clear implication was that if they want to get stupid, they can just get dead right there on the spot.

At the same time? They had state of the art monitoring of everyone, everywhere. INCLUDING INSIDE the cells. Every one of them. No one got 'privacy', since they were prisoners and lost that privilege when they chose to break Russian law. The information conveyed about the dramatic difference in assaults and violence in prison over all was a bit hard to argue though. Here?? Oh, if they do anything just a hair off? They get sued endlessly, almost for sport by the prisoners.

Correction in Russia (Of ALL places to find to compare, too..) It seems a workable concept. Correction here? Well, only if criminals being too soft and too naive is what we're looking to correct. THAT gets corrected very early on, I believe.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

No, it means a social role reconstruction. Not SRS.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

No, fortunately not one of those pleasures.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Phew!

That's all right then.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

FlowThruSpace
There are all sorts of stories involving prison violence, particularly when some men's identity is forcefully reconstructed to become that of a female. Does this hold water or is this just a myth created by the people on the outside? If you ever went to prison, please share your opinion on this. Cheers!
I had a friend who had a bad coc aine addiction that did a total of about 15 years in prison(give or take).He always said that it depended on where you are incarcerated if it is bad.He said the worst place he was ever at was a federal prison near Selingsgrove(sp.),Pa.He also said that if you don't go looking for trouble then it usually doesn't find you.

I remember 1 story he told me.it was his first time in and he managed to piss off every muslim in the joint by telling his muslim celly that the quran was all lies.I guess he learned that he was going to be shanked in the yard for that remark.He had to go to the head guy and basically beg for his life.

He mainly said once you get used to it,it was a cakewalk.Three hots and a cot he used to say.

edit on 9-11-2013 by crazyeddie68 because: content

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I had a buddy who was a member of an elite mountain ranger unit. The boy was a certifiable killer. He got raped in prison for not allowing a gang member to take his food the first few days in. He fought, won and later that month, he lost his virginity to at least ten men.

We used to have a law way back when called Hammurabi's code. It was the old law of an "eye for an eye".

It was deemed to brutal for "modern" society a long long time ago. Now we have gone the other way. get busted for a victimless white collar crime and get raped. Seems fair right?

In may way our society has become more brutal than ever. It has long been a firm belief of mine that prison is a guarantee of rape. No matter how big, how tough or how mean you are there is always one or ten that are much more dedicated to violence than yourself.....

Go to prison get raped, just make the assumption unless you are 6'8" and built like a Gorilla with a ton of gang ties you will be a bitch....

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Is prison violence real or a myth?

Ask Jeffrey Dahmer or Jesse Anderson.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
are you planning on spending time in a prison?...if so you will find out.....i had a mate in prison recently he personally had no issues,but he did like everyone else in his block hear a guy in the next cell get murdered...the description of the guy being choked to death was frightening.....as he described the experience if you do ok on the outside you will be fine on the inside....just a heads up if you have substance issues you might be in trouble,most people inside getting hurt are acumulating debts and paying a harsh price

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join