It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop the violence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Recently a new friend came to stay and he is a Muslim . On the third night , the elephant in the room , so to speak, was discussed .

As we talked about our beliefs , which were clearly different , we got onto violence and it was suggested that it was ok for a man to hit a woman if she was being stupid .

Stunned and with plenty to think about , I slept on it, and thought about it .

When is it ok for a person to hit another person ? Laid bare.

Take away the child factor and the gender factor.

I can think of maybe one , That might be if someone is in shock , lol but a medic might know if this is really relevant and effective.

I really was confronted by what I heard and disturbed ,there is more ,but I just want people to grow up and stop the violence.
1% Thanks to my friend for helping me to see clearly.

edit on 9-11-2013 by my1percent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

That's really the only one you can think of? What about if you are struck first and defending yourself? See some young houligan beating up an old dude? Someone being raped in an alley?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I see what your saying yeah , but Everyone needs to stop being violent , it seems impossible but more people that speak up the better . Cheers 1%

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I don't like violence and someone acting "stupid" is no excuse for bodily harm. If that were the case I would go to jail every time I left the house. Sometimes I would go to jail even if I didn't leave the house.

But in all seriousness I think it is acceptable to hit someone if you feel threatened (with bodily harm) or you have already been struck. As for man/woman..... If a woman comes at a man like another man then he should be able to subdue her to protect himself. There are some women that can beat a guy to death and most men will take a lot of abuse to either not have to hit her back or to not have to go to jail for domestic violence. I am a woman who thinks a man that hits a woman is a sorry arse coward. But as with most everything, exceptions do apply. He shouldn't have to just take the abuse and if it takes a slap to get her claws and teeth off of his face so he can leave safely.... then he should be able to do that much.

I think a lot of people are (what my Dad calls) froggy (ready to jump) at anyone for the slightest things these days. There is no reason to put your hands on someone else unless you are in danger, protecting yourself, your family, etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks , I wonder how long it will take before people stop the violence against each other .All types mental ,emotional ect, ect.

Earth is a very violent place , we are supposed to be on top with the smarts but we are just as violent.

Hope .

1%

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Ahh you can tell your friend that if I ever see him hit a woman for being 'stupid' I'll thump him.

You see, it's OK for me to hit cowards if they think it's ok to hit women.

Fair is fair.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

You made the topic clear with the statement . . .

When is it ok for a person to hit another person ? Laid bare.

People here have responded with situations where varying degrees of violence may be necessary and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned deadly force yet.

IMO it is always possible to defend yourself without violence in the sense of inflicting bodily harm - defense isn't the same as offense.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
No violence is impossible.
Give one man power over others and he'll abuse it given time.
just look at the Stanford prison experiment that should give an idea.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

All physical violence is potential deadly force.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
On a personal level, I agree with the OP entirely. Violence is a terrible thing and as I consider....I can't really think of exceptions to that much said about it. Even in defense, if legitimate, terrible things have already happened or are imminent to happen for it to have come to that. It's something we should all strive to avoid, as best as life allows for it.

That's the rub though...Life doesn't allow for reasonable people to be unconditionally non-violent, and without exception. Those people have been more properly referred to as victims going clear back to the time Hammurabi figured he had a few ideas to share, and formed them into a code.

To try and eliminate violence outside our own actions is to fight human nature itself, and perhaps the largest of all windmills one can tilt at. I'd just be happy if everyone put effort into it within their own lives. That would make for improvement, IMO. Never solved..but improved.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
At the risk of sounding like a moron, I've got to say I value violence and don't want it to go away! It just needs to be kept in check and under control, like an attack dog. Violence is the way to resist coercion. Take that away and you're a sitting duck.

new topics

top topics

join