Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What is the greatest country on Earth?

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Think about it, before people start being all patriotic etc!

I would like to say England is the best country in the world, but I can't, not statistically or politically anyway. And I am pretty sure Americans can't either for the same reasons.

So… What is?

What is THE greatest country on Earth. The best country politically, financially and how it treats it's people. Not because they have the biggest Army in the world and more guns than someone else or because they have Wembley Stadium or the NFL or the the Eiffel Tower or Ice Hockey or one time something amazing happened.

edit on 9-11-2013 by brace22 because: Title spelling mistake.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

My vote goes to Costa Rica for various reasons, one of those being this
If things here in the U.S. keep going down hill, I might just live there one of these days (I can dream, can't I?
)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

That's awesome!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Toss up between Luxembourg and Switzerland.

Economically stable, vanishingly low crime rate, high happiness index.

They don't speak English but I guess you just talk louder.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Declare yourself your own sovereign Micro-Nation.
Start Your Own Country!

No other countries will likely recognize your new nation, especially the one who's soil you've just annexed, but, who cares, it's YOUR nation.

edit on 11/9/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Hmm I don't there is a greater country I think we are all just just trying to survive this place .
I am also reminded of this picture

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

How does one even measure greatness?

Is scale a measure of greatness? If so then does historical size count, or only current size? Or do we measure greatness by the geopolitical footprint of a nation? How about history itself? Do we measure the greatness of a nation by the length of its existence? Is the cultural diversity of a nation important to its greatness?

In my opinion, Britain, for example, was greater when Boudica...

en.wikipedia.org...

Led her offensives against the Romans, than it ever was when the Empire was being formed, and it was not even properly called Britain at that time by the people who lived there.

I personally believe that a nations greatness ought to be connected to its lack of impact outside its borders. Nations which have not invaded other nations, which do not build their status on the bones and blood of the innocent, which have no history of slavery, which have never gained something at the expense of a neighboring population, a nation which has never behaved in a mercenary fashion, which has fought tyranny within its own borders, and never sought to conquer another... that would be a great nation. I am not sure that any of these remain on this planet.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Probably one of the Scandanavian countries would draw my vote, if the vote were about government. They seem to manage really good social safety nets along with decent profits for their corporations. But every country is great in its own way. I love America, Its the greatest in many ways, but manages to balance it out with plenty of immoral catastrophes at the same time. I think wise people are adverse to naming one country greatest because they wan't a multi-lateral world, without any country being supreme ruler.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Guys thank you for your maturity in this thread, I know it must be hard not to scream and shout how amazing our respective countries are.
edit on 9-11-2013 by brace22 because: Thread not forum

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

Never thought of it that way.

Why should there be a greatest..

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I think it is a question of which cannot be answered properly. Each and every country has its own merits and pitfalls.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

brace22
reply to post by tridentblue

Never thought of it that way.

Why should there be a greatest..

Because, unfortunately, we have to all live on it. It's nice to think we're all hippie children of earth, but sadly, some animals will remove you by force form their assumed plot of land and they draw the borders you cannot see from space.

If it weren't for humans, the earth would be a great place to live.

Besides, I've got a nice plot of land on mars waiting for me and my kin to populate it. Winoville is the best country on mars.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Utopia. Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Papua New Guinea.

They still have dinosaurs.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

badgerprints
Papua New Guinea.

They still have dinosaurs.