It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Yahweh misjudged? Is he really "evil"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm not saying yes or no this is just a thought...

What if, the garden of eden wasn't about Yahweh controlling but instead letting humans run free to their heart desire? Sexuality / Nudity wasn't seen as a judgmental or bad thing untill after they ate the fruit and their eyes were open. Then they were "ashamed".

Yahweh flooded the planet after many crimes of rape against others, even trying to rape angels ( Sodom and Gemorrah).

Also, if the bible is altered many times then doesn't that mean words of Yahweh may have been changed to and therefore he is not that bad?

If there are plans for a one world religion - control system, then if Yahweh wants to go to war (Armageddon) and destroy the order and rebuild the planet (Book of Revelation) doesn't that mean he is against control?

Again, I am not saying Yahweh is good or bad, this is just something I would like to see some responses to...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Again, I am not saying Yahweh is good or bad, this is just something I would like to see some responses to...

im completely on to your game, you are a disciple of Yahweh, you always bring his up in threads, and its clear Yahweh is a angel of the Devil.

The breaking down of control structures and claiming its freedom is the artful act of the devil. Nazi Germany rose this way.

Haha Yagewehs disciple will never pull the wool over my eyes.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

"Yahweh" is, to begin with, a very vague concept. So perhaps we should first clarify which version we're talking about here.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
There's a bunch of threads about Yahweh on ATS. Do a search. I'd say he was a bad dude

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Son of God for Dummies. Consider reading all of my Epistle of Barnabas Threads. There are more to come.

edit on 8-11-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Who do you mean "devil"?

According to The Bible (Book of Job), Jews, and some Christians - Lucifer who some call Devil or Satan, is just an Angel of Yahweh.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by arpgme

"Yahweh" is, to begin with, a very vague concept. So perhaps we should first clarify which version we're talking about here.

Well since Yaweh is older than the Bible, found in Ugaritic texts, let's see what the Canaanites said about Yaweh. And Yaweh as He is called by Christians, never the Jews, they just say HaShem, actually means "the four letters" translated as I AM". But let's compare from Ugaritic...

El was the chief god at Ugarit. Yet El is also the name of God used in many of the Psalms for Yahweh; or at least that has been the presupposition among pious Christians. Yet when one reads these Psalms and the Ugaritic texts one sees that the very attributes for which Yahweh is acclaimed are the same for which El is acclaimed. In fact, these Psalms were most likely originally Ugaritic or Canaanite hymns to El which were simply adopted by Israel, much like the American National Anthem was set to a beer hall tune by Francis Scott Key. El is called the “father of men”, “creator”, and “creator of the creation”. These attributes are also granted Yahweh by the Old Testament.

As the belief here is that Yaweh was a god of the Canaanites, and where the Hebrews do descend from, and they share common language and literary roots, one would have to conclude Yaweh is most likely the same God for both.

In 1 Kings 22:19-22 we read of Yahweh meeting with his heavenly council. This is the very description of heaven which one finds in the Ugaritic texts. For in those texts the “sons of god” are the sons of El. Other deities worshipped at Ugarit were El Shaddai, El Elyon, and El Berith. All of these names are applied to Yahweh by the writers of the Old Testament. What this means is that the Hebrew theologians adopted the titles of the Canaanite gods and attributed them to Yahweh in an effort to eliminate them. If Yahweh is all of these there is no need for the Canaanite gods to exist! This process is known as assimilation. Besides the chief god at Ugarit there were also lesser gods, demons, and goddesses. The most important of these lesser gods were Baal (familiar to all readers of the Bible), Asherah (also familiar to readers of the Bible), Yam (the god of the sea) and Mot (the god of death). What is of great interest here is that Yam is the Hebrew word for sea and Mot is the Hebrew word for death! Is this because the Hebrews also adopted these Canaanite ideas as well? Most likely they did. One of the most interesting of these lesser deities, Asherah, plays a very important role in the Old Testament. There she is called the wife of Baal; but she is also known as the consort of Yahweh! That is, among some Yahwists, Ahserah is Yahweh’s female counterpart! Inscriptions found at Kuntillet ‘Ajrud (dated between 850 and 750 BCE) say: I bless you through Yahweh of Samaria, and through his Asherah! And at ‘El Qom (from the same period) this inscription: Uriyahu, the king, has written this. Blessed be Uriyahu through Yahweh, and his enemies have been conquered through Yahweh’s Asherah.

If one wants to go pre-Judaism and into Canaanite, then we know these gods were worshiped. So therefore, Yaweh was not evil to the Canaanites, the original believers, and not evil to the proceeding Hebrews either. But it's your choice to think Yaweh was evil, but the Canaanites and early Hebrews believed Yaweh and Ashera were married.

Ugaritic and the Bible

But no description in either system places evil attributes onto Yaweh.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Seems like a lot of ideological promiscuity. Hence my earlier suggestion that there is no clear idea of who Yahweh actually is. Too many crossed wires and obscure twists.
edit on 8-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

According to The Bible (Book of Job), Jews, and some Christians - Lucifer who some call Devil or Satan, is just an Angel of Yahweh.

Stop twisting words Yahweh is on cohort with Satan period.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Seems like a lot of ideological promiscuity. Hence my earlier suggestion that there is no clear idea of who Yahweh actually is. Too many crossed wires and obscure twists.
edit on 8-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

I once heard a preacher put it this way...it depends on what side of the fence you are determines how you think about something. He then used the example of University of Texas Longhorns beating the Oklahoma Sooners.

On the Longhorns side they would say "Longhorns beat smaller rival Sooners in an easy game" whereas the Sooners would say "The evil Longhorns invaded Oklahoma territory in an effort to destroy our way of life"....

The rivalry goes on.....this guy was a Texan though. But I suppose it applies according to how much spin you put on it.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Or you could just say the longhorns beat the sooners instead of trying to embellish on it.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think Yahweh is misjudged, just like Jesus and Allah, because they arent real.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Or you could just say the longhorns beat the sooners instead of trying to embellish on it.

You would think, but embellishment makes it so much funner.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Doesn't it say "judge a tree by the fruit it bears"?

Well, this YHWH character seems to be rotten to the core...

Then again perhaps the OT was twisted around over the years... but I don't trust the OT God in the least

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by arpgme

Doesn't it say "judge a tree by the fruit it bears"?

Well, this YHWH character seems to be rotten to the core...

Then again perhaps the OT was twisted around over the years... but I don't trust the OT God in the least

If you met the Fonz for the first time,would you think he was just a leather wearing womanizer hoodlum?

Just asking, because sometime people judge a book by its cover.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

lol... No I just a book by its contents...

And I've seen nothing good from the OT God... He/she/it claims to be Good, yet shows to be otherwise...

What else can a false God do but lie about his authority anyways

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If the bible has been manipulated, why judge based on a manipulated book? If that's the case you might as well say the New Testament is evil because it supports slavery and not trust jesus .

OT has some positive messages like the book of ecclesiastics.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

arpgme
reply to post by Akragon

If the bible has been manipulated, why judge based on a manipulated book? If that's the case you might as well say the New Testament is evil because it supports slavery and not trust jesus .

OT has some positive messages like the book of ecclesiastics.

Well supporting slavery is a far cry from supporting murder, rape, and genocide...

Perhaps its just me that thinks that way though

edit on 8-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Your mind is closed. You are willing to ignore the "negative" stuff to follow New Testament Jesus but not Old Testament Yahweh.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

arpgme
reply to post by Akragon

Your mind is closed. You are willing to ignore the "negative" stuff to follow New Testament Jesus but not Old Testament Yahweh.

Incorrect...

I see the OT God for what it is... A maniacal terrorist that demands worship when it deserves none...

Do as i say, not as i do doesn't fly with me...

I don't ignore anything... My opinion comes from careful study, not blind following...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join