It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bitcoins at $360, Anyone Paying Attention To Whats Happening?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The government doesn't like bitcoin and loadable VISA's, because it's John Doe money.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Dianec
Can someone explain this in the simplest terms. Is this bitcoin something you can cash in on and they mail you a check? You buy one for maybe 1.00 - it goes to 300.00 and you cash in like stocks? If not what good is it? I'm hearing it is virtual only yet also hearing people should cash in.

What this would equate to is investing your money into someone who is investing your money so is really no different than the stock market. I'm confussed.

I'm fairly certain you can trade them in for cash, but you have to find a buyer first. No buyers, no monies.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I will never for the life of me understand buying DIGITAL currency as a hedge against FIAT currency, do you get the irony here people?

What is this worth in a collapse of fiat currency or SHTF situation: just like fiat, digital is crap. TANGIBLE GOODS are the only TRUE STORE of value. Not just gold, silver, bullets, but ANY asset you can hold in your hand. Toothbrush, lighter, tobacco, socks. Please stick with tangible goods people.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

sean
The government doesn't like bitcoin and loadable VISA's, because it's John Doe money.

Any loadable visa can be tracked back to you. Believe it or not. There is a record of them and they will use store cameras to get your identity.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Pimpintology

sean

Any loadable visa can be tracked back to you. Believe it or not. There is a record of them and they will use store cameras to get your identity.

Bitcoins aren't quite as anonymous as they claim to be either. I read an article that claimed they could be tracked. Could have been scare tactics though.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

OrphanApology

What is backing Bitcoin up is all of the items I stated. Most importantly the fact that there will only be a certain amount of Bitcoins in existence.

static const int64 MAX_MONEY = 21000000 * COIN;

All it takes is to change that one line to change the amount that exist.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

JohnnySasaki

Dianec
Can someone explain this in the simplest terms. Is this bitcoin something you can cash in on and they mail you a check? You buy one for maybe 1.00 - it goes to 300.00 and you cash in like stocks? If not what good is it? I'm hearing it is virtual only yet also hearing people should cash in.

What this would equate to is investing your money into someone who is investing your money so is really no different than the stock market. I'm confussed.

I'm fairly certain you can trade them in for cash, but you have to find a buyer first. No buyers, no monies.

Actually, I saw a thread here about a week ago where the poster was talking about a BitCoin ATM. I think it was in the Seattle area but I'm not certain.

I'm sure it's true and if so, if there's one my bet is that there will be more.

If I can find the thread I'll post the link....

ETA - Found it. It's in Vancouver, not Seattle. Hey, I was only off by one country...
Link below:

World's first Bitcoin ATM
edit on 11/10/2013 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

spartacus699

what does a bit coin actually look like?

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Bitcoins really have nothing to do with a SHTF scenario so i dont know why its always brought into the discussion.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

It may be honest and truly amazing but what is backing it? Haven't all currencies always been backed by something? What is keeping its value?

Currency used to be backed by gold. As of a hundred years or so, that hasn't happened. In fact, the only thing that backs paper money is the country that prints them, other than that? Nothing backs paper money anymore. What backs bitcoins? Market speculation. The same market speculation that values facebook at 50 billion dollars pr whatever it is. I'm dropping a hundred bucks on this cause I KNOW I'll be kicking myself once bit coin hits 1000

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I was reviewing how to mine them. Looks interesting. Could be all kinds of business opportunities with it if someone was to put there mind to it and figure out various ideas. Like it really opens up a lot of possiblities.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

For sure man. You just have to imagine it then put it to work.

The more ideas that spawn from this the more stable it becomes.

Just look at the economy and build another economy around bitcoins.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Please excuse my apparent ignorance on said, 'Bitcoin'. The previous reference 'Bitcoin Minig', does explain how the first move i.e getting a Wallet, does cost around 6Gb. Is this Bitcoin really a Byte Con??? and those who such attracts will in turn have to Pay to recover lost Free Space on their / our PC......Sorry if this sounds daft, but it all whiffs like a futuristic layout for the Zero Hedge fanatics. Or does it ????
Be grateful for a mild yet genuine reply

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
How do bitcoins fit into the "Mark of the Beast" scenairo? I mean, it's a global currency. All you need to add is an embedded chip somewhere in your body to authorized and carry out transactions and you're there. Right? It kind of spooks me.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I was into BT's when they first started. Here's what I understand of them.
The value initially was based on the amount of electricity used to mine them.
I would leave my computer mining 24hrs using a basic graphics card.
I was only doing it as an hobby to start with, then interest and the prices started to rise.
When I could see the potential in making money from them I invested in a dual card mining rig (built myself but paid for the cards using BT's).
As the popularity rose so did the difficulty in mining them so people started creating mining pools (multiple people around the world collaborating by doing part of the hashing then getting a percentage of the mined coins).
When the price rose to around £160 (sometime last year) I thought I may as well cash in some of the coins I had (approx 6000) I bought a new car. You have to have an account with an exchange to cash in, although there are a few places where you can buy physical stuff (not just silk road.. lol)
Next they hit £220 per BT. I bought a new house.

The way to go obviously was to mine the coins. Paypal also started to restrict sale of them through ebay but they can still be bought on there.

The market value can be seen at :- Bitstamp
If you want a mining machine I would recommend something on this level :- BabyJet

I also donated quite a few coins too but they were only worth a couple of pounds at the time.

Speculation has suggested (Max Keiser and others) that a single coin could be worth $100,000 - $1,000,000 by the time the last coin is mined (I think they stop on 21,000,0000 coins)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

That's an awesome success story.

I wish I had been stable enough to get my hands on a rig.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

That was the easy thing at the start, just kept the desktop running 24/7.
Once they became worth something I upgraded the graphics cards.
I still have sticks with wallets on that I can't remember the passwords for

Easy come, easy go as they say..

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Ameilia

Bitcoins really have nothing to do with a SHTF scenario so i dont know why its always brought into the discussion.

Because if a SHTF scenario does happen then you can kiss your make believe money goodbye. The way people are falling for this Ponzi scheme is amazing.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

If there was a SHTF moment ALL your money would be worthless..
What ponzi scheme, it's a speculative market just like all trading markets.
You trade on the highs and lows.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

i ahve an asus g75 i bought on release day when i had a decent job.

how fast can i make enough off that to get my first rig?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join