It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Depot Tweets Racist Photo, Scrambles To Apologize

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Also I can only assume that's your son and family dog in your avatar pic and I can tell your not overly sensitive guy from your photoshop skills cutting the dogs head off and attaching it the shoulder of your kid and then setting them on fire.
edit on 56pm56qupm302013-11-08T20:28:56-06:000808 by SasquatchHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

ROFL, it will be the cover of my second book. I am a very sensitive person, avatars are supposed to be fun or have a meaning or grab peoples attention.

Book

P

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I understand that some would say this is racist, but isn't racism in the intent meant by the creator of the content? I mean if the guy who thought this up was doing it in order to be racist, then yes it's racist. But if he had no such meaning in his message then isn't it us who has the problem and not him?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

It's either as racist as it gets.. or so completely unracist that it was innocent and they didn't realize until after the fact.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

You might be a talented writer I dont know but you need some serious help with your book covers. I would even do something for free I feel that bad for your artistic abilities.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is hard to believe this degree of racism came from a big outfit like Home Depot, usually they have to approve any marketing ad by a few people before allowing publishing..

This stunt by home depot has the same degree of blatant racism as do people who refer to our President as Black, since he is only 50% black.. I have never heard anyone say he is white before, not ever..

Does black always trump white? like rock scissors, paper?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I have to admit... I totally didn't get the racist thing until I read a little further on down the first page and someone pointed out the monkey/black thing.

To be honest, I still don't really get it though because monkeys don't look anything like a black person... or am I missing something ? I don't understand the comparison.

Having seen this tweet, I would've been scratching my head saying "Um, I don't get it.". So it doesn't come across as racist at all to me.

But I also had no knowledge of what Uncle Tom was all about until an American had to explain the "Uncle Tom's Cabin" book to me. Never read the book, never heard of it, never knew anything about it.

So maybe these are just "Americanisms" or something ??

Or have I been living under a rock all these years ??

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I first saw this and thought "wow look at Obama sitting between two black guys getting ready to play some drums" then i looked closer and realized that the guy in the middle was just someone in an ape costume, and Obama doesnt look like an ape he looks like a monkey so i guess i just saw what i wanted to see at first. Im so happy that Obama is only half black because now i only feel like a half racist, the other two guys i would be pissed by the ad trying to peg black folks as drum beaters.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
racist?
apes are a religion not a race

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well shucks, if this Home Depot pic is racist, surely this one is, too:

Methinks no one's going to call the Dubya-monkey comparisons he was lampooned with for years racist because they're hypocrites and to qualify as racist, this kind of thing only ever applies to a specific group.

On a personal note, I'm analytical at heart. I see 3 guy drumming on buckets. Or rather, a black guy and a guy in a monkey suit with sticks, and another black guy lacking them. Or if you really want me to be blunt about it, 1 guy in a costume, 2 not. Even with knowledge of monkey insults, this does not seem to have that malicious context considering the photo at hand. Ergo, a lot of people are jumping the gun because of knee-jerk thinking.
In the context of game day and this probably being some mascot for some school, I don't see much racism here. anybody into football leagues want to see which team has a monkey or ape mascot? Speaking of, isn't there an NBA team with a monkey/ape mascot, too? If this exact same photo was taken with that one in the center, would it still be racist?

I agree with previous posters, PCness needs to DIAF, and quick. This country hyperventilates over the most asinine stuff anymore.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This isn't racist at all. You can't show blacks and monkeys together anymore? Is there anything we can do anymore without being called racists?

Actually, I was going to Lowes this weekend, I think I'll hit Home Depot.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
i think its meant to be funny . i also think that the people who are calling this racist are racist , their the ones that compared the monkey against the 2 black guys .

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I do not see what is racist here. One guy is in a monkey suit. That makes him NOT like the other two. Get it? The monkey IS NOT LIKE THE TWO BLACK MEN.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This is stupid. The only people who really correlate monkeys and blacks are blacks. Which is weird. You can't even say "monkey, ape, orangutang" whatever your primate of choice may be around a black person without them flipping out.

It's getting a little tiresome, the whiny bitching at every tiny miniscule perceived infraction casts the entire race in a seriously bad light.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

This is insensitivity on a monumental level, and they deserve what ever PR flack they get over this.

to be honest i didn't exactly get what makes it racist, i still don't really get it...

but i digress.

i'll have to assume this was insensitive, but if you consider it as such, why do you continue to call your wife "monkey"?

people assume racism far too quickly, which leads to actual racism. would you have considered it justified if your coworker physically attacked you over the nickname you use for your wife?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Ok for all you guys that don't think this is racist..

Next time you see a black man go ask him what the difference is between him and a monkey.

Then come back here and tell us what he said...

edit on 9-11-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Ohh.. is this where we insert "oh if you say such and such around a black person you'll get physically assaulted" because nothing says racism like impromptu assaults over verbal exchanges. I know it's supposed to sound all tough and scary like, but really it's childishly amusing.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

benrl

CaticusMaximus
reply to post by goou111

I dont see a clear implication being made from the picture coupled with the question.

The intent, supposedly racist, seems very ambiguous without more context.

Ambiguous?!

Alright I will grant you the benefit of the doubt, by thinking you are a shiny example of "post Racial" america, where race simply is not even a thought in your daily life and or of non-american upbring to know our history.

But calling people of African decent Monkey, is a racial slur dating back to slave times in america, and suggesting that it would be difficult to pick what was different from the three is a tremendous racial slur.

Oh, I get it now. I did not realize they were incinuating that it was supposed to be difficult to tell the difference. Seriously I was trying my darndest to figure out why it was racist... I'm still not sure if it was intentional or not, but whatever I guess it makes sense now that you explain it to me. And no, I'm not trying to say that my mind is some how special and free of all thoughts of race, i just really didn't pick up on it. Call it a chemically ravaged mind, call it whatever you want, just dont call me late for dinner! Either way, the people involved will have a chance to defend themselves. I don't know a lot about sports, and I thought maybe the monkey was a mascot they wanted to include or something. I actually thought the people calling it racist were being racist for assuming it was racist just cause there is a monkey in a photo with black people...but I don't think that now. I realize it was in the actual wording of the tweet.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

groingrinder
I do not see what is racist here. One guy is in a monkey suit. That makes him NOT like the other two. Get it? The monkey IS NOT LIKE THE TWO BLACK MEN.

Yeah I thought the same thing. But I guess if you read it again and think that they are saying it as if its going to be a challenge to tell the difference, it could be racist. I don't know. I would like to hear an explanation from whoever did this.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

goou111
Ok for all you guys that don't think this is racist..

Next time you see a black man go ask him what the difference is between him and a monkey.

Then come back here and tell us what he said...

edit on 9-11-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, but see, the thing is, monkeys are similar to ALL humans. They are the animal most like a human being. So...you could ask that question to ANY human. It's a criticism to our entire species that is often made. We are nothing more than "intelligent monkeys" or whatever... But you don't see why it's a problem that you cannot ask this question to a black person? Are black people not allowed to reflect on the state of our species in comparison to the animal that is most like us? I saw a show about a particular species of monkey that is one of the only animals to do it missionary style. Pretty cool! I just think its stupid we have to limit our thinking and conversations because of some dumb crap people made up long ago that a few ignorant people are still parroting today.

I dunno, its a seemingly complicated subject that just sucks...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join