It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st world problems: US man is too fat to jail.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

What he did was wrong...but in the (valley of wrongs)...his mistakes are very low on the list.

I feel compassion for this man because he is in (the prison of the extra fat) that is surrounding his body.

He has a serious addiction... and it is food.

People can quit alcohol, drugs and cigarettes; and never touch them again; but with a (food addiction) you can't do that.

I would like to see him get some real help...with a therapist, nutritionist, and a personal trainer. I just wish that some people in his life would find these people for him; or someone who is a friendly aquaintance who is kind and will just step in and help.

This man needs a lot of mercy, compassion, understanding and help.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I don't really care what punishment he was given, myself. It was, apparently and by the prosecutors comments, given as a result of consideration to his weight and issues that would cause for ...money.

Anything after that? It's mitigation for the wrong that happened here. Nothing more.

I'd have SOME sympathy, maybe, kinda....if the article wasn't so clear about this man being a repeat, serial offender on his dine/dash crap. It's Theft. Pure and simple. Once..I can see a break. Twice? Well...maybe a hard slap and consideration ...

$50 in Beef Jerky to try and say he isn't paying? Tell it to the guards on the cell block. They may care more than I do....though I doubt it. ...but wait, he'll never see the jail cell we may well have, because the very thing that causes his serial criminal offenses (OVER EATING) is unbelievably now why he can't get the same punishment as anyone else.
edit on 8-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

If I were the judge, I'd order him into a rehab boot camp.
Once you are down to about 180 or 200 Lbs., you're free to go!

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't feel sympathy for this guy whatsoever. You guys are mistaking my pointing out childish behaviour in this thread for some kind of bleeding heart syndrome.

He was charged with his crimes and received a plea deal (conditional sentencing).

The news headline chose to use attention-grabbing hyperbole... and you guys fell for it.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
whatever anyone says a fat person yes is struggling and deserves help, we all indulge and unlucky for some this is outcome. also heart disease and other things for other indulgers.
its just a fat guy is a really good target for saying you are over indulging, just like a smoker.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
He committed a crime and should have consequences for that. Eating disorder, thyroid thing, or gluttony - it doesn't matter since he harmed others.

The paper referring to him being overweight - clearly it brought attention to that because it was a consideration used in deciding his punishment. I don't think these crimes deserve more of an expense to society so why the judge decided to use the weight of his body instead of the weight of the crime is a bit off but I'm sure he had a reason.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't even care about this guys fatness at all and it has nothing to do with anything IMO. The simple fact is, his crimes are non-violent in nature and therefore "Jail Time" isn't even needed. Fines, Community Service, House Arrest or some other punishment is totally understandable in this case.

As we all know and that they admit in the article it all came down to MONEY. That's what it's all about. So IMO if we want to stop this "Prison Industry" from growing it's time to quit b!tching about Non-Violent offenders not getting jail time. All jail time does is cost all of us more money to house them and they come out worse than they went. Cages are for animals that are dangerous and violent.

Pot Smokers, Hackers, Fat Guys who cheat the local Diner, etc. don't need to be caged up, they aren't a threat to anyone on the outside. Crimes of that nature can be dealt with by actually addressing the problems rather than throwing them in a box and ignoring them for a while.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
There are several issues here that need to be addressed and should be. The first is that this man did break the law, and stole, multiple times. He should be punished, and repayment done for his actions. That much is clear, and a plea deal should be offered yes, but conditions need to be attached to said condition.

There is a point on the man himself. He is showing a lack of concern for his wellbeing or concern for his health. He weighs 600 pounds, and that is a sign of a problem that should be addressed. But from what is being shown on his part, he has no intentions on helping himself change, and while they are talking about the cost of incarcerating him, the question is, what does this man do for a living? Chances are the public is already taking care of him in the form of public assistance and welfare, unless he is independently wealthy.

The solution is simple and would save the tax payer money and ultimately help this man get the help he needs. First is that they need to put him on a diet and start having him exercise, every day, till the pounds come off. Work with him and get him counseling along with education on making healthy choices in his life. This all while he is on probation for his crime. This would require someone there to help him get to and from his appointments and that he would end up making that commitment, with the understanding that if he steps out of line, he will go to a boot camp, and be forced to lose the weight, when he gets down to a healthy weight, he would be let go. In either case it would help him out, as while at a boot camp, having to attend and listen to classes and exercise every day, to gain self discipline to not over eat, and make healthy choices.

The justice system is flawed, as many of the people are either not rehabilitated or getting the help that they need to not go back to their old ways. And that needs to change.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

CranialSponge
An interesting social experiment:

Change the title of this thread to say:

"Black man is too black to be jailed"

OR

"Gay man is too gay to be jailed"

OR

"Retarded man is too retarded to be jailed"

OR

"Deaf man is too deaf to be jailed"

... and see how many ATS posters come into the thread and personally insult/attack the subject's personhood due to their "blackness", "gayness", "blindness", "retardedness", or "deafness".

Apparently, some forms of blatant, disrespectful, dehumanizing, prejudicial indignity is perfectly okay... and some is not ?

There really is no hope for this planet.

Nope there is no hope for this planet when we have political correct followers like you...

Stereotypes exist because they are based in truth. And PC movement is the most retarded group of humans this planet has seen.

And hell I'm fat with a bipap machine and this fatty in the article should be chained to a treadmill as his prison sentence.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

What the man needs is a good shrink.

Quite right. He needs to be shrunk down to a quarter of his current size. Forcibly.

reply to post by CranialSponge

People can't help being black, gay or retarded. Most of the time they can't help being deaf, either. But no-one eats himself up to a weight of six hundred pound involuntarily.

Obesity and self-inflicted ugliness are crimes against nature and good taste alike. If I were dictator of the world, this hideous monster would be put under house arrest and fed only bread and water till he looked human again.

reply to post by marg6043

Well how about making jails bigger enough to accommodate his bulk, I mean so far we got almost everything else around fixed to meet US growing sizes.

How about if some people hogged less of the world's finite resources? As far as people from poor countries like mine are concerned, this man is America personified.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I assume his crime wasn't a hit and run!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

think of how many sentient creatures have been slaughtered to create this man-bear-pig, making him so fat that he cannot breath without a machine. his body is a graveyard.

i hope he passes from this world soon to keep him from causing more harm.

sell his assets to cover the bills. he's already in a prison: his own body. just keep him under house arrest until he dies.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

i still cannot get past that money is the object....we as humans deserve the fate we are headed to as money should never be more important than people
edit on 9-11-2013 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: spelling

top topics

<< 1   >>

join