It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A friend has a Mac and downloaded windows got a virus. Any help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Just like the title say. A friend of mine owns a Mac laptop. She downloaded windows, I think, possibly google. When she did this she received a virus. I haven't seen it personally , but I told her I'd ask around for help. Anyone know anything that can help??

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CheckPointCharlie

wait, are you saying she downloaded a windows operating system (like windows 7 or xp or windows 8) and got a virus from it? google isnt a virus its a search engine...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Like the poster above me, I'm not sure what you mean by, "She downloaded Windows", but you might try Sophos for Mac. It's free.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kingofyo1

Google indeed has an OS. It's called Google Chromium OS Google Chromium . Why anyone would use it is beyond me seeing that google gives all your data to the US government, lol.
edit on 8-11-2013 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

link   
I am guessing she DL it from a torrent site.

Mac / Window = Pain in One's ***

System restore it and DL a clean copy.

link   
She told me she downloaded windows or google to her Mac laptop and got a virus. That's all I know. I'll see her tomorrow so I'll get more details then. I didn't know if this was something common or not. I'll post tomorrow with details.

Also, she is trying to make youtube videos with custom music. Family oriented stuff like montage's ( sp?) and the like. But she's had trouble finding a program that operates how she wants. I think she's looking for a free program. That's how all this started I believe. She is my hairstylist ( don't call her a barber, lol) and Korean ie translation barriers. She's super sweet, so I told her I'd try to help. There a lot of smart people here so I figured its a good place to ask. Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'm not sure how people keep getting viruses from torrenting. I've rarely gotten a virus from that kind of stuff...maybe I'm just that damn good at it. Iunno.

link   
reply to post by coolcatt

She may've mentioned a torrent site.

Is it easily fixable? Sorry, I'm not computer savvy. For some reason she believes I am though ( why I mentioned her ethnicity ).

link   

kingofyo1google isnt a virus its a search engine...

Some might beg to differ...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Hushabye

kingofyo1google isnt a virus its a search engine...

Some might beg to differ...

LOL

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

CheckPointCharlie
reply to post by coolcatt

She may've mentioned a torrent site.

Is it easily fixable? Sorry, I'm not computer savvy. For some reason she believes I am though ( why I mentioned her ethnicity ).

Not really if you know where you're looking.

Am with AfterInfinity on this I have been DL torrents for yrs not once have i ever had a virus.
I think you have to shop about about when it comes to torrents people see that windows 7 & brand new film on there and just grab um
and don't think about the virus.

Tell you're friend to restore here computer and go back to her old OS if she can (never done this by the by) and find a cleaner one as i said.

I have bent copy of win7 and its been fine. 3yrs running

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

haha yeah, i figured someone would point that out
And I had forgotten altogether about chromium, likely because its not widely used.. Never heard of a virus from chromium though, not to say there isnt one or two. Torrented operating systems can contain viruses, or keyloggers depending on where it was obtained and who packed the torrent. What made her assume she got a virus? whats the computer doing? If she successfully installed windows and then didnt put an antivirus on it, she could have gotten it that way.

Dad always told me, wrap it before you tap it..

edit: @coolcatt, yeah, I was running win7 ult copy and recently got a ripped win 8 to try out since everything's moving in that direction, it seems. I torrent EVERYTHING and rarely if ever do i remember getting a virus of any kind from it.. The pirate lake (t&c?) has been getting fishy lately but I try to check the comments on a torrent prior to pulling it, pun intended

edit on 8-11-2013 by kingofyo1 because: reasons

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

One and only program to save millions, malwarebytes ! Removes almost all trojans and virus known to cyber space, free download off the official site is all you need. Just run a full scan, you will be surprised how user friendly it is and how much your computer has really picked up without your knowledge.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Restore the Mac back to factory defaults. (might want to back up critical files otherwise they will be gone) And use the mac OS. If she cannot find a program to use with the MAC, then tell her to look harder. They usually are very good about that type of app. But it may not be free. Just like anything else in life. Free is never free. Common sense.

Macs usually don't get viruses. PC's do.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Wolvo

One and only program to save millions, malwarebytes ! Removes almost all trojans and virus known to cyber space, free download off the official site is all you need. Just run a full scan, you will be surprised how user friendly it is and how much your computer has really picked up without your knowledge.

Malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy....

however dont torrent Os's cause thats where i would hide nasties if i was that way inclined!

and tell her to bin the mac, or strip it down in self it for parts, over priced Glamour tech
(in my opinion
)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

GonzoSinister

Wolvo

Malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy....

however dont torrent Os's cause thats where i would hide nasties if i was that way inclined!

and tell her to bin the mac, or strip it down in self it for parts, over priced Glamour tech
(in my opinion
)

Agreed, and if you do have to torrent and os make sure you check the hash before you download it. If you're torrenting you know what a hash is and if you don't then don't torrent or read up.

As previously said above, Malewarebytes / Avast if you are going to run windows. But perhaps she should look into boot camp for her mac.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Ok guys, first. I appreciate all your help and suggestions. I told her to restore to defaults. We'll see how that goes.

She downloaded windows 7. The virus was telling her the FBI was going to arrest her unless she paid x amount of $. It was a torrent.

She then was able to use a ( not sure what they're called ) data stick? To get into "safe mode" and use "combo -something or other" to remove the virus. But I'm not so sure she accomplished what she thinks.

Hope this makes sense to some if you.

Any further suggestions??

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

combofix? yeah, thats a windows program... Restoring to defaults (if its a mac) should work. What I dont understand is how she was getting to safe mode, since thats specific to windows if its a mac computer?

edit: OK i think i understand. She replaced macintosh with windows 7, then after the fake virus popped saying fbi yada yada yada, she rebooted into safe mode and combofixed it using a usb drive(data stick to you?) and normally combo fix is a great tool for virus issues. So if she couldnt fix it with that and malwarebytes then yeah, she should just restore to mac OS and find a pay to play program for her needs
edit on 9-11-2013 by kingofyo1 because: reasons

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kingofyo1

Yeah that's about right. Also yeah, a USB drive as well as "combofix".

So that's only good for windows...and not the Mac itself?

Also, I'll re read but just so I'm clear, malwarebytes (?) is a free download?

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Yeah, its for windows.. If she chooses to restore to macintosh OS, send her this:

www.combofix.org...

Malwarebytes is free, there's also paid versions that do much more than just antivirus.. great program overall, running it now along with adaware as my antivirus solution
edit on 10-11-2013 by kingofyo1 because: remembered something

new topics

top topics

join