It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's economic sanctions have been softened since June in back door deals with US government with

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Link< br />
US secState John Kerry is currently in Geneva working with Iranian officials to lighten sanctions and allow them to continue enriching uranium. This is as the US congress is currently asking for tighter restrictions.

U.S. President Barack Obama said on Thursday that the world could slightly ease up on sanctions against Iran in the early stages of negotiating a comprehensive permanent deal.
"There is the possibility of a phased agreement in which the first phase would be us ... halting any advances on their nuclear program ... and putting in place a way where we can provide them some very modest relief, but keeping the sanctions architecture in place," he said in an interview with NBC News.
Kerry said that Tehran would need to prove its atomic activities were peaceful, and that Washington would not make a "bad deal, that leaves any of our friends or ourselves exposed to a nuclear weapons program".
"We're asking them to step up and provide a complete freeze over where they are today," he said on Thursday.
In Geneva, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi was cautious on the chances of an accord. "Too soon to say," he told reporters on Thursday after the first day of talks. "I'm a bit optimistic. We are still working. We are in a very sensitive phase. We are engaged in real negotiations."
Lending urgency to the need for a breakthrough was a threat by the U.S. Congress to pursue tough new sanctions on Iran.

Iran has stated that they are committed to building nuclear weapons in the past short of the Ayatollah saying they are. Is this just another drive by the current admin to push Israel farther away as an ally and force their hand to make a move. I mean, there is no way the current admin would make a move to make things tougher with V Jarrett hanging around the White House.

edit on 11am30amf0000002013-11-08T10:51:26-06:001026 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on 11am30amfu2013-11-08T10:54:03-06:001003 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Iran has stated that they are committed to building nuclear weapons.

Was that a mistake?
They've said the opposite thing about 100 times. You should either correct the statement or provide the source. Charlatans like Alex Jones and Glen Beck don't count as sources.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

Iran has stated that they are committed to building nuclear weapons.

Was that a mistake?
They've said the opposite thing about 100 times. You should either correct the statement or provide the source. Charlatans like Alex Jones and Glen Beck don't count as sources.

Ditto... If that isn't a mistake or misinterpretation? It's a Sea Change for status and a shock to the core compared to what they have said before. Heck, I've even gone through the trouble of independent translation of the Ayatollah's comments that were taken to mean wiping Israel off the map (He never said or implied it) and never..ever..have they said they would pursue nuclear weapons.

In fact, the Ayatollah has, in his postion as both National and Spiritual leader, declared precisely the opposite in terms which cannot be explained as misunderstanding later. I'll have to check into this a bit too.... Everything changed if they've made that reversal

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

In truth this will and has to eventually happen. Just like previously done with Mao and Russia some type of treaty or agreement will be made in order to stabilize the region. In order to do that we will continue to distance ourselves from Israel and make happy with Iran
edit on 8-11-2013 by bonecrusher321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Well our choices are negotiation, and working a deal out, or going to war. I'd much rather they go this route, than war personally thanks.

And I third the source for that claim. I've always heard them say they didn't want a nuclear weapon and only wanted power.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The NPT stops Iran from building nukes. And the Ayatollah said that nukes were against their faith so no nukes will be built.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
And then the Saudis buy nukes from the Pakis ... and Armageddon ensues, but hey! It's all good.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

No star or flag for you!
Stop believing the propaganda, read some ehh?
I like the idea that Iran will be able to proceed with their needs.
I'm even ok with them getting as many nukes as the terrorists in Israel have.
But Iran has never claimed what you say about wanting nukes for blowing up the terrorist regime of Israel.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
First of all nowhere in the article does it say they will be allowed to pursue nuclear weapons.
In your oped you claim "Iran has stated that they are committed to building nuclear weapons." That is a blatant lie!

The Ayatollah on nuclear weapons:

“We are against nuclear weapons not because of the US or others, but because of our beliefs,” Ayatollah Khamenei said in a Tuesday meeting with the commanders and officials of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC).
-
“And when we say no one should have nuclear weapons, we definitely do not pursue it ourselves either,” the Leader said, noting that Iran’s opponents pursue other motives in the dispute over Iran’s nuclear energy program.Ayatollah Khamenei noted that a few countries do not want their monopoly on the nuclear energy to be challenged, but they do not make their real intention public.
-

socioecohistory.wordpress.com...

This whole Iran malarkey is because the West lost their man the Shah and by doing so lost access and investments to the resources in that country.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You would have to be totally in denial to think for one second Iran doesn't want nukes.
www.theguardian.com...

blogs.fas.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

g146541

No star or flag for you!
But Iran has never claimed what you say about wanting nukes for blowing up the terrorist regime of Israel.

I agree. This is a good decision and Israel needs to be watched very closely. They're the terrorists, and the world is opening their eyes to that. I guess soon we'll see some big terrorist attack somewhere and it will be made to look like Iran done it. I'm almost willing to bet money on it that it's already been/being planned.

This being said, I don't believe that no country should be allowed to possess nuclear weapons. After Russia and America proved the damage these weapons can do to earth, they should bound together and made it illegal for anyone in the world to have or build them. When these religious people in the middle-east go head to head in a holy war, it will be one big flash and all of them will be gone.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

All this talk about Iran trying to get a nuke is a smoke screen. The US and Israel have been saying the same things since roughly 2002-2003. Iran is always six months to two years away from getting the bomb. I think it's about time they get a new catch-phrase.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Stormdancer777
You would have to be totally in denial to think for one second Iran doesn't want nukes.
www.theguardian.com...

blogs.fas.org...

The first link from the Guardian is titled:
"Does Pakistan have nuclear weapons ready to ship to Saudi Arabia?"
And it doesn't mention Iran in any way.

The second is an analysis about the Iranian nuclear program and its costs.
Doesn't mention Nuclear arms, but talks about the program in general vis-a-vis costs...

So just who's in denial, than?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

g146541

No star or flag for you!

Here's a star for you though.
We seem to agree on this one.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Link

Propaganda? So, do we believe the leader of Iran or do we believe the IAEA when they state that the technology is there and has been for over a decade but it will not be used by a nation who is scared to death of an attack by the US or Israel. If they did NOT build them they would be stupid quite frankly.

I mean, what do you really think Iran would say? That they are? The evidence is there that they have.

Link

The Russian scientist showed Iranian counterparts techniques that could be used to make smaller nuclear weapons capable of bigger explosions, according to the officials, who have been briefed on the UN atomic agency’s eight-year probe. They spoke on the condition of anonymity, following diplomatic rules for discussing private information.
The International Atomic Energy Agency is scheduled to publish this week its quarterly report on Iran’s nuclear work, in which inspectors are expected to conclude for the first time that Iran is working toward nuclear weapons. The IAEA was “increasingly concerned about the possible existence” of weapons work in its last report issued in September.
Separately, a U.S. intelligence official, speaking on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss classified information, said the U.S. hasn’t changed its judgment since a November 2007 National Intelligence Estimate and an update last year. Those reports concluded that Iran has been keeping open its options by developing capabilities short of a decision by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to build nuclear weapons.

I changed the title of this thread to show what this is really about. The fact that the US has been dealing with a new leader softening sanctions yet they are still moving forward with a program that can and will eventually produce nuclear weapons. It is a matter of time. Another line in the sand that will blow away...like Syria.

I think that I will NOT listen to a country who has chosen to not talk to us in close to 20 years...and how about that hostage crisis back in the day. Yeah, we can trust these guys with...
edit on 11am30amfu2013-11-08T10:55:32-06:001032 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

It has to be not that people really love and trust Iran that much, but that they HATE Israel.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It is ingrained in western society, it has been going on for centuries.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

It has to be not that people really love and trust Iran that much, but that they HATE Israel.

According to me, people don't hate Israel per se, they hate injustice and whoever does it.
In this case - the Israeli government.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

The art of negotiation and diplomacy is all about compromise, you do realise that don't you?
And the important things here are the avoidance of conflict and the easing of the suffering that ordinary Iranians are increasingly suffering as a direct result of the sanctions put in place by the international community against Iran.

Of course all of this has to be done whilst maintaining the security and safety of all concerned.

Do you honestly believe that after all this time, effort and publicity 'the west' is simply going to go back on everything it has done and allow Iran to freely develop nuclear weapon capability whilst relaxing sanctions?
And to what purpose?

Iran has made conciliatory approaches to 'the west' regarding reaching a workable solution to the impasse and it would border on the criminally negligent if they failed to at least try to enter into meaningful negotiations.

What's past is past and with a mindset similar to the one you are displaying no nation would ever have reached agreement with another nation throughout mankind's history.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

I agree that NO country should possess nukes, however the sad truth is the cat is out of the bag.
We just need to be mindful to not step in the cat scat.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join