It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA looks to permanently eliminate artificial trans fats from the food chain: (Germany did this 15 y

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It is my understanding Germany banned artificial trans fats about 15 years ago due to health concerns. Biggest thing we as consumers will notice (besides the health benefits) will be stuff that used to last a week on the shelf will not do so now. Much shorter shelf life.

The Food and Drug Administration wants to rid your food of artificial trans fats once and for all. Today the FDA issued a preliminary notice that says partially hydrogenated oils — the primary source of trans fats — are no longer "generally recognized as safe." "Foods containing unapproved food additives are considered adulterated under US law, meaning they cannot legally be sold," said the FDA in a press release. Essentially, that would make it all but impossible for manufacturers to include trans fats, which have been directly linked to heart disease, in the food chain.

www.theverge.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It's about time the FDA did this. It has been known for years that this manmade crap was bad for us. It seems that For every bad chemistry that is taken off the market two more bad ones are added. Can't the FDA do any testing themselves or listen to their own research scientists concerns.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Is interesting how the FDA caters to private interest, see no many people remember how the natural fats were targeted as "bad for you" and "dangerous for you" in order to introduce trans fat, chemical lab made fats because it was a big business to be made out of it and profit from it with benefits.

So we end up having natural fats that are actually easily digested by the human body change for chemical lab made fats sold to us by propaganda as good, because they could extend the shelf life of most food, specially junk food.

The result of it, people got fatter, hart diseases have gone up the roof and a myriad of other health related issues that the FDA rather die before allowing to come to the light.

But here we are 40 years later with a nation showing what chemically lab created fats has done for us, like anything that is man made.

The hypocrisy. I only eat natural fats and I like my butter with only three natural ingredients, salt, cream, fat.

Anything else is just one ingredient short of making plastic.

How that margarine taste now.

A History of Trans Fat

www.heart.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You make a good point. It has been revealed that the revolving door at the FDA and large corporation CFOs who seem to get a prominent position @ FDA when something needs to be approved does shine a rather dark light on the whole process. Company test that are conducted for six months and everything is peachy keen have been used for approval only to find out that test over a longer period show the product is harmful. Anyway if the trans fats are as bad as many say at least this is a step in the right direction. Wonder how long before it is removed from our products?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

727Sky
It is my understanding Germany banned artificial trans fats about 15 years ago due to health concerns. Biggest thing we as consumers will notice (besides the health benefits) will be stuff that used to last a week on the shelf will not do so now. Much shorter shelf life.

In America everything is for profits so they rather kills us, the consumer or one of this days be mandated to eat trash in order for big businesses to keep their profits.

Then to make us feel guilty if we demand healthy choices the propaganda spoon fed us that the littler businesses of mama and papa will die if their food can not stay longer in the shelves, so we most die to keep their profit safe

America the land of interest, profits, corrupted capitalism while screwing the consumer.

The health and safety of families should be priceless.

edit on 8-11-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

It will take a long, long time until another lab created crap is manufactured to replace them, because after all we most preserve the littler business and the loses they will have if their food do not last longer in the shelves.

So is going to be as usual plenty of dirty corrupted money in congress paying those whores politicians to halt any progress of eliminating the trans fat of the manufactured food.

This America , sadly everything have a price including our public servants.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I guess my first question would be...

What food is next on the list to be banned?

Aren't there links between drinking whole milk and heart disease? Beef fat and heart disease have been linked before.

Maybe the federal government can give us a list of what we are allowed to eat, and maybe even how much we are allowed to eat.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

This is a proof that Americans are an experiment, as its been known
for over 15 years that transfats are toxins to the body. Why
did they wait so long?

I can see this happening with GMO in the future, maybe 20 years from now.
Many other nations have made the move to ban already.

Makes one wonder what does the FDA & USDA really have in mind for the peeps.
edit on 8-11-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I was just researching the evidence that they have linking beef fat and heart disease. There are ways to neutralize the bad effects. The agglutinatation caused by antigens to the proteins in beef itself, caused by blood types, is real. It can be neutralized by onions. The sulfur in onions dampens the agglutination. Eating onions all the time leads to a reduction of elasticity of the heart and blood vessels though. It is good for building cartridge. so, if you eat a lot of beef, you may have some problems either way. It is important to note that different types of cows have different protein markers. People with type O blood do not have antigens to beef either, their immune system is different with the immunity being on the blood cells. They can eat more beef, and don't need the onions unless they want to build cartiledge. Taking glucosamine and chonderite sulfite on a regular basis might better the joints but it can also hinder the elastins from forming leading to diseases like COPD and other things. Sulfur foods are a necessary part of our diet but too much is definitely not good..

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by 727Sky

I guess my first question would be...

What food is next on the list to be banned?

Aren't there links between drinking whole milk and heart disease? Beef fat and heart disease have been linked before.

Maybe the federal government can give us a list of what we are allowed to eat, and maybe even how much we are allowed to eat.

The problem is, it's hard to believe many of the studies. So many are privately bought and provide false information. I do remember reading a study about the mass increase of eating chicken over beef and how heart disease has also increased just as dramatically. It made good sense and I chose to continue to eat red meat. I have some friends who pretty much live on chicken. They are in their mid 60's and exercise regularly, very fit, take all their vitamins etc. The wife has had two heart attacks in the last year.

The best rule of thumb is everything in excess. /sarcasm Enjoy life, all things in moderation.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Beef as nature intended from healthy cows without hormones, GMO corn or toxins and raw milk is perfectly healthy, the beef and milk that I will no touch is mass produced one, with inhumane treatment, breed as nothing but meat to feed the masses.

The same with any other source of protein, what the animals are feed with and the treatment they receive, is what is pass on to your body when you consume it, the manufactured milk in the shelves is nothing but pure crap fill with more added crap it should never be call milk or real.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
For once I agree with Marg.

I sometimes order from a local dairy. The difference between unadulterated meat and that which is mass produced is boggeling. Same with the milk. The commercial stuff just doesn't compare.

Not only that, there is false advertising. Like with chicken and eggs. Fed 100% vegetarian diets. Funny thing is, chickens are not vegetarians. They are protein eaters. They eat bugs, not wheat.

Cows don't eat corn either. And the other stuff like rendered meat that would make you never eat a steak again if you saw it. They should just be eating grass.

People who have never eaten anywhere but from a grocery store, have no idea how bad they have it. It always cracks me up when I hear the sanitized diet eaters claim how BIg the strawberries are from such and such store.

I avoid those strawberries, they taste like toilet paper. Anyone who actually knows food knows that the smaller the berries, the sweeter they are.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You nail it, my friend, people this days with the convenience of big supermarkets has lost the ability to differentiate what real fresh food taste like compare to mass produced, that are mostly transported semi frozen in order to extend shelve life, then radiated to make mature overnight.

I know I grew up in a small Island when we only went to the butcher on "kill day" to buy the meat fresh, and the fat in that meat was ugly brownish to dirty yellow but darn it tasted just as good.

My grandfather used will kill once a month and my father will bring home fresh meat.

I remember when we had to look at the eggs that we picked from the backyard to make sure they were no already with baby chicks inside and thin the rotten eggs from the good eggs it was actually fun.

Life is not longer the way it used be, you know when it was simple and a lot healthier. I grew up in that type of life and I am still alive and well it has not killed me yet, and neither any of my siblings, my mother and father are still kicking in their 70s, my husband parents the same in their 8Os.

Now they tell people to be afraid of healthy choices because everything needs to be regulated while poisoning the food with chemicals, because that is what they call healthier and sanatized.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

marg6043

You nail it, my friend, people this days with the convenience of big supermarkets has lost the ability to differentiate what real fresh food taste like compare to mass produced, that are mostly transported semi frozen in order to extend shelve life, then radiated to make mature overnight.

I know I grew up in a small Island when we only went to the butcher on "kill day" to buy the meat fresh, and the fat in that meat was ugly brownish to dirty yellow but darn it tasted just as good.

My grandfather used will kill once a month and my father will bring home fresh meat.

I remember when we had to look at the eggs that we picked from the backyard to make sure they were no already with baby chicks inside and thin the rotten eggs from the good eggs it was actually fun.

Life is not longer the way it used be, you know when it was simple and a lot healthier. I grew up in that type of life and I am still alive and well it has not killed me yet, and neither any of my siblings, my mother and father are still kicking in their 70s, my husband parents the same in their 8Os.

Now they tell people to be afraid of healthy choices because everything needs to be regulated while poisoning the food with chemicals, because that is what they call healthier and sanatized.

It is quite sad. Most people don't know that they actually have to color farm raised salmon, to make it look like salmon, because the farm raised salmon is grey, not pink. So they use a chemical that is a petroleum byproduct to make it look natural.

:/

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Yes, yes, and now you have ask which of the salmon is the Frankensalmon, actually you can tell because is cheaper than the farm and wild.

Salmon raised in farms is readily available all year so wild salmon from overseas, but wild Alaskan and northern salmon is only available seasonal and you will pay for it too.

I always ask from where the fish comes as I avoid sea food from the gulf or west coast due to pollution and contaminants.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

marg6043

I really have to agree with you about the fresh food. First time my wife ate shrimp in the states (it had been frozen) she thought it was terrible. To me back then it just tasted normal...

Everything overseas at our farm, or near by city, is usually looking at you just before it is rendered for consumption. Fruits and vegetables are fresh picked and ready to eat. I do have more energy after a week or so at the farm, but, it could be I am just more interested and busy?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It's pretty much poison to our bodies. but so is so many of the other ingredients they allow in our foods that this makes little sense. Why are other ingredients allowed like yellow 5, or aspartme or guar gum etc....etc...?

If they care so much about what we eat then let us know what's in our food in the first place........gmo's?

Part of me thinks this is just a way from them to slowly control the food that reaches our table. Without this as mentioned many things will go bad quicker, no stocking up, less foods less mouths fed. Just another way for them to nanny us.

edit on 8-11-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Every time we let the government ban something, we are saying, "Here, government, take this absolute power. We give you precedent to go forth and use this power on other things now too. We totally trust you."

For example: eggs were allegedly bad because cholesterol was bad. Cholesterol is not bad, it turns out, but a lot of "science with assumptions" made it seem so. And taking out eggs meant they also took out the lecithin in eggs which in fact not only helped properly digest its cholesterol, but that of other cholesterol in the body.

It costs a lot of money to take out an ad in a magazine. And it's only one magazine, in one area, and it's an ad. So the usefulness of this is questionable. However, you can take that same money, and pay for a 'research study.' You can be sure you get a scientist who is already demonstrating he knows what you're going to want to hear, or not hear. Even if he has the integrity (questionable) to report everything in the paper, the abstract or even title may say the opposite. Even if they don't, it doesn't matter. Then you can write up a "press release" about a "new scientific discovery" about thing-X. And thing-X just happens to be in your consumable foodlike entertainment products.

So now you have magazines, news on TV, radio, blogs on the internet, multiple languages, extolling the "interest factor" of this "new science" in your press release. Then if you do advertise for your product, you have the full force of scientific 'authority' to back up why people should buy it!

Who needs to pay for advertising when paying for 'science' is so much cheaper?

Most of the trans-fats killing us for the last 30 years came about in part because "the government" -- as well as corporations influenced by government agencies and their stated opinions -- decided that animal fat would kill you (since, mysteriously, humans have been eating that for millions of years, it's surely unnatural) and we should instead have mostly rancid seed-oils in deep fryers across the McDonald's nation, and trans-fats in everything packaged which of course wasn't considered nearly as bad for you as (gasp) AN EGG.

This would be the government agencies, such as the USDA, dedicated to the sale of US grains/agriculture, which will not require GMO's be labeled, and which manages to make -- amazing coincidence! -- grains the largest food group people "should" eat.

USDA "guidelines for nutrition."

It had previously been a science group that gave these recommendations. Their recommendations were basically taken en toto and used as the advice for the public.

That is, until they recommended fewer carbohydrates (which would mean less grains) just over 30 years ago. Note: the USDA's official charter is to sell grains/agriculture.

At that point, suddenly "an independent committee" was said to have been "hired to review" the science behind their scientists' recommendations. So someone 'else' would be telling the agency what was real instead.

The documentation for the public recommendations, rather than being "a science summary for the public," became "a guideline for professionals written by 'staff members' of the agency."

Ahhh... so... more a newsletter. We're basing the health of a big nation on that lack of accountability.

Neither the committee persons, nor the staff members, nor what part either put into the resulting recommendations, was clear.

But the recommendations didn't actually match the science. Not even their OWN science which gave the original reports. So who changed that advice, and why?

Gee, it must be that new 'independent committee.' OK... who would those people be, so we can ask THEM "why?"

The USDA would not tell. They would not make clear who changed what or why nor would they reveal the names of the 'independent panel.' These reviewers are responsible for the health of 300 million people. They should be secret?

Finally repeat FOIA requests plus open pressure via scientists themselves, got the simple info of the 'scientific panel' who were said to be the responsible reviewers.

But... then it turned out that they literally "did not review" the science. Officially. "Did not review the science."

Ohhh. So what WERE they doing, again??

And then it turned out that even THAT panel's own suggestions, based on we have no idea what if they weren't reviewing the science, didn't match the actual recommendations given to the public either.

Ohhhh. So someone ELSE must have had some OTHER reason for making those 'advisory' points.

The points influencing policies for other mass-national-health agencies, and the ones pointedly driving minor things the school lunch programs and doctor recommendations.

(I wrote the above but in a private forum - redcairo)

Here's a link to some info about the FOIA stuff:
www.forahealthynation.org...

If the government were more easily free, with precedent, to simply ban things left and right, a great deal of REAL FOOD would have been outlawed a long time ago.

Even science is mostly marketing at this point. Soybean transfats hurt rats, so humans shouldn't eat steak, is about what much of it comes down to, you should eat this marketing product with HEALTHY-HEART GRAINS! instead. There is a ton of science where you can easily cause result-X by doing Y (e.g. increasing cholesterol) but of course, only if the creature is deficient in vitamin-X or substance-X (which coincidentally, just as an example, most the real-foods with cholesterol happen to ALSO include).

But even what decent science there is, wouldn't be setting the standards anyway. As you see.

I don't trust the government to make policy. I'm glad to see transfats taken out of the food supply, I'll be honest, but it merely gives them more leverage to take other things out of the food supply that are NOT bad -- and their motivations in every agency, which have long ago been captured by corporate interests, should always be questioned, in detail.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

727Sky
It has been revealed that the revolving door at the FDA and large corporation CFOs who seem to get a prominent position @ FDA when something needs to be approved does shine a rather dark light on the whole process.

Dark light on the whole process?

Let's put this in common English, shall we? The scum-sucking gutter sluts at FDA are ok with HFCS, aspartame, neotame and every other tom, dick and hairy **poison**, but trans-fats are now the bad guy?

What happened? Did the trans-fat guys forget the brown-bag payola last week or what?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

burntheships
This is a proof that Americans are an experiment, as its been known
for over 15 years that transfats are toxins to the body. Why
did they wait so long?

What I do know is that my country-dog (13 year-old lab) is sprouting tumors like grains of sand of the beach. We fed him national brands from the day we brought him into our family but we started paying real attention to the contents of his food 3 years ago ..... I believe we were too damn late.

If you're eating processed corn or soy in this country, there's a really good chance you're eating gmo poison.

top topics

join