It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brainwashing Methods in Children�s� Video Games

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Not sure of the game, but i think it's 'Quake' where you have skirmish or shooting......you go through the initial stage of training .....you can talk to the computer or whatever the thing is.....

Any way, when you talk(type the words)it answers back to you.......my daughter asked a silly question, and it answered back,quite fitting to the question........are these words programmed into the game???
I mean, what else can it be???

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Try to find out the name of that game and I will do my best to find out all I can about it.

Abe

jra

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a good article on CNN now about video games. www.cnn.com...

NEW YORK (AP) -- All those hours spent playing video games may not be wasted time after all: A new study suggests action-packed video games like "Grand Theft Auto III" and "Counter-Strike" may sharpen your mind.

Researchers at the University of Rochester found that young adults who regularly played video games full of high-speed car chases and blazing gun battles showed better visual skills than those who did not. For example, they kept better track of objects appearing simultaneously and processed fast-changing visual information more efficiently.

To rule out the possibility that visually adept people are simply drawn to video games, the researchers conducted a second experiment. They found that people who do not normally play video games but were trained to play them developed enhanced visual perception.

Useful to train soldiers?

Exactly why video games have this effect is not clear. The researchers said more study is needed.

They said the findings suggest that video games could be used to help visually impaired patients see better or to train soldiers for combat.

The study was published in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature and was led by Daphne Bavelier, an associate professor of brain and cognitive sciences.

Parent groups and anti-violence advocates contend that the bloodshed in some video games triggers aggressive behavior in young people, as some hotly disputed studies have suggested. They blame violent video games for such crimes as the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.

The new study did not directly address how video violence affects behavior. Instead, the experiments focused on a person's ability to recognize and interpret symbols and letters after playing video games.

Violence not addressed

"Some people think that video games are turning kids into supergeniuses or psychokillers," said Kurt Squire, an educational game designer at Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Games-To-Teach Project, who was not part of the study. "The reality is probably close to this, where people can process visual information much quicker and be able to discern between different types of information."

Soldiers who grow up playing video games do better in processing information on a screen or operating long-range unmanned aerial vehicles that can film or photograph enemy activity on the ground, according to military experts.

"There are some very avid video gamers in the military. The people who have been playing video games all their lives seem a lot more comfortable in some of these kinds of environments," said Lt. Cmdr. Russell Shilling of the MOVES Institute at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California.

Details about the study

In the Rochester study, 16 men ages 18 to 23 took a series of tests that measured their ability to locate the position of a blinking object, count the number of simultaneous objects on a screen and pick out the color of an alphabet letter. Those who played video games for the previous six months performed better in all those tests than those who did not.

In a separate test, a group of 17 who never played video games were trained to play the military game "Medal of Honor" and the puzzle game "Tetris." After playing for 10 days, those who learned "Medal of Honor" scored better on the performance tests than those who didn't.

Pamela Eakes, president of the Seattle-based Mothers Against Violence in America, said scientists need to look more closely at the effects of video violence on habitual video-game players.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I like where this discussion is going. I am glad that you pointed this out.

It seems like common sense to me why video game adept people are better able to handle challenging visual tasks. That is no mystery. Yet there is a mystery to many other aspects of the video game culture.

Like this:

Where is it going???

To what lenghts will this industry excel???

It seems more and more likely that these games will continue to look more and more like simulations.

What is a simulation???

Well something that simulates the simulation of a object, such as a plane.

There have been many type of flight simulators in our time.

I used to play one called "LHX"

LHX was a failed government helichopter project.

Failed, as in flawed by the feats of feasibility.

Regardless of what happened to the LHX Project, the legend of the LHX lives on.

This simulator was something in my skin. I played all the time. More than any other game out there. More than checkers and hide and seek. I loved it. It was great. Nothing I have ever played was harder than that game.

The reason it was hard was because it was ment to train helicopter pilots. So it had all the controls and every thing that the helicopter would have in it.

What made the game hard was the missions. Now this is where my point comes in.

The purpose of a simulator is to stimulate. You are trying to stimulate the mind to get keen to the objective of the training program designed into the simulation systems. So what the simulators do is enhance. They are effective ways to breach the laws of reality. For these simulations are just that, simulations, nothing but machines, not nature. Therefore the laws of nature don't apply here in the simulation world.

Therefore the simulators can simulate a world in order to stimulate something that isn't normally known to the mind in the real world. In other words, these machines that pump these realites into the persons training in the simulated world of simulation programs can alter the reality that the person has, and can now take that person beyond the limits of their so-called reality.

If anyone understands what I am talking about please help me to understand your thoughts on this. I truly think that we can get some good intel on this issue if we work together. If you can help me state my points with more clarity or elaboration, than please do so with no punches pulled.

Thank you........

Abe

[Edited on 1-6-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Remember, if video games affected your mind, old people would all live in basements eating pills while being chased by ghosts and listening to repetitive techno music. In other words, Pacman.

Or I would have gotten a "SwordGuard Executioner Sword" "Immortal King Helm/boots/gloves/belt/armor" and killed a bunch of Succubus and Baals and other demons. I have played the diablo series for many years, not once have I had the urge to grad an axe or cast chain lightning.

And what does Charmed have to do with anything? Ask me watching early sunday t.v. is bad for kids. They grow up learning that all you need to do to go to heaven is send some fat rich guy your life savings. And if sick, send him some more. Or late t.v. where all you have to do is buy the newest tool.

"It's not a slicer or a dicer. Not a chopper or a hopper. Not a conventional or average bomb. What could it possibly be? Nuke-o-Matic!!!!"my version of Sledge-o-Matic

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Pacman was kcik ass! And who you calling old

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well, there are good sides and bad sides to videogames, the good part is that it helps with hand-eye coordination, the bad news it that they are very violent and affect brain patterns. Some of these games like Call of Duty desensitize children into thinking that it is a part of life. They in return act violent when they have to get off the x-box or what not. M-rated games are still played by children as old as five years. These games long term can cause brain damage as a doctor at Taipei veteran's hospital found out. Blood flow to the brain decreased, and long term effects could cause permanent damage to the frontal lobe of the brain, which is associated with thinking, speaking, decison making, and impulse control. It also affects the anterior cingulate gyrus which controls internal emotional responses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join