It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to lose vote at UNESCO, incurs debts

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Act1Scene1

As for your "put you down" diatribe, you couldn't "put down" a fly, you can't afford the swat.

Yup, you're 100% correct. We can't afford to care for our own because we're far too busy subsidizing well over a billion eaters and breeders world wide, all while your governments ignore it.

The UN, NATO, UNESCO and every other international alphabet organization would eventually go defunct if it wasn't for our elected officials going on quarterly spend binges. Personally I can't wait for the day we pull even more funding so we then can be chastised by foreign governments when famines kill millions.

Americans are damned to be judged by the international community and the armchair bleeding hearts, no matter what path we choose. We never give enough (in UNESCO's case, 22%)

For example, looking at the UN donors list, maybe it's time for your country to: Pick Up The Slack

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Lipton

We give the money to the wrong people/organisations and for the wrong reasons. I am not saying we should be giving any money at all when we cant even fix our own problems, but giving it to nations plagued with religious extremism is all the more worse.

I feel like slamming my head against the wall sometimes...

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

I agree entirely with you on this. I'd prefer we pull out of the UN, evict them from New York City and wish them well, as once was done with the League of Nations to a lesser degree. That won't likely happen in our lifetime though, at least not that way.

So.... All things being equal, we need to at least be consistent. This was quite a thing to lose as a place where US influence could actually bring some positive result. So, for the politics of the Israeli/Palestinian issue, according to the OP background, we've piddled away yet another positive in the name of reactionary points.

So this is how Democracy winds down... Not by war or by spectacular collapse over night ...but by the misjudgments and unintended consequences of a hundred different bad moves. It seems right on schedule for that. (sigh)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

SuperFrog

redoubt
reply to post by SuperFrog

US should withdraw from the UN... but, that ain't about to happen.

Care to say - why?

Well, the UN is not what it was originally conceived to be. Beyond that, I have come to dislike their approaches to various spots on the planet Earth. For instance, there are all these places that are listed as world heritage sites but then, the UN moves in and basically takes over not just the locale itself, but large swaths around it.

Recent example?

The Alamo in San Antonio, Texas. There's a lot of accusations flying about right now and if this site is approached with as much respect to the people around it as to the site itself, it will pass quietly. But if the UN tries to assume too much and basically take the very foundation of Texas into custody... there will be hell to pay.

The idea of a world body to help keep the peace is, in my opinion, a great idea.
The reality of a world body that seems to seek to be the world's governing body... is not.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I am really unable to understand where this phobia from any type of government body that will prevent us from killing or exploiting each other comes from. I know, it is almost like logical next step – they will try to confiscate our guns that are God given right to protect our self.

UNESCO is great and kind idea, helping around the world, but just as its father, UN, it has issue of not being able to have greater control. It’s failing for exactly the same reason League of Nations failed, and I don’t see much being done to move forward, for above given reasons - it would prevent all wars and killings.

IMHO, it will take some time for human mind to get there, but eventually we will get there… if we survive as species.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Has the UN really fixed anything at all? They claim to fight poverty, yet they fail. They claim to prevent wars, yet they fail. They claim to want to prevent the spread of certain diseases, yet they fail.

What exactly has any world body done to solve anything? Its just feel good dellusionalism with zero positive results. The elite are more than likely using the UN to achieve their own ends.

The security council is the biggest racket of all. USA, Russia, France, Great Britain, China using it to sell arms and promote war. If UN has any hope then they need to do away with this security council and let the general assembly determine everything with a simple majority vote.

And talk about hypocrisy would be casting israel in bad light while giving the palestinians benefit of doubt. I guess the jews are not entitled to have a jewish state, but muslims can have as many arab states as they want.
edit on 11/11/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

SuperFrog
reply to post by redoubt

I am really unable to understand where this phobia from any type of government body that will prevent us from killing or exploiting each other comes from. I know, it is almost like logical next step – they will try to confiscate our guns that are God given right to protect our self.

UNESCO is great and kind idea, helping around the world, but just as its father, UN, it has issue of not being able to have greater control. It’s failing for exactly the same reason League of Nations failed, and I don’t see much being done to move forward, for above given reasons - it would prevent all wars and killings.

IMHO, it will take some time for human mind to get there, but eventually we will get there… if we survive as species.

I could sit here and do two or three pages of how America became... well, America. I could attempt to explain how and why people feel as they do. But, to avoid so much typing that would have absolutely no effect of change a single heart or mind, let me reply like this...

This nation was founded in an attempt to escape centuries oppression. We found a new level of liberty never before known by mankind and today, we are not ready to let it slip away.

As for 'phobia' and all its many applications? 'Phobia' is a form of suffix that suggests a fear which I do not believe genuinely exists. It is a tag... a negative stereotype applied based on political views.

The United States was founded on the idea of what it would be like to live without an all-powerful central government. That's my personal opinion.

From there... efforts to disarm this nation or surrender certain things to an international outfit like the UN, basically flies in the face of almost everything this nation was originally built upon.

Have we been perfect? hell no... we had to overcome slavery and then figure out how to keep our economy going through three (count them - THREE) past economic depressions. The one we're in now is not going away soon so... I'll keep it in a separate basket.

The very name of our country... 'United STATES' says that we are not all one big funky family ready to be owned by some king or emperor or dictator or globalist body.

There is no shame or regret from where I sit... to wishing the US out of the UN under its current configuration.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

You are really getting funny, more and more...

No, no state should be created the way Israel was. Please, get some books and learn, inform your self before getting into discussion like this.

Your point is that for example Texas folks decide that they don't like live in USA any more, they are allowed to arm them self and declare their independent state. What do you think, how would this would work? And why would US have to worry, they have 49 other states, why Texas would not be allowed to have its own?!

Arguments like that sound like middle school kid having some unanswered questions about history and geography.

Of course, I selected Texas without any good reason, you can replace it with any other US State.

Again, the problem is not state of Israel, the problem is how is everyone else treated in that state - as second level citizen. Not to mention fence, constant abuse of others as well building on occupied land.

To explain to you, as you look as someone who needs 'near world' example, above independent State of Texas has decided to take Florida, removing all of those native people from Florida and destroying everything, while building their towns and villages.

And they have historical reason, as people from Texas first came to Florida, then were moved westwards. It is their historical right?!

Does this make sense to you now?

If not, I can try and draw it for you...

As for UN or UNESCO accomplishments and achievements, you should do little research. You would learn that there are many accomplishments, especially if you know how limited power they have.

I guess, if you don't see them on your local TV, you are unaware of them... simply they don't exist.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Your examples are completly irrellevant and your post was off topic.

Lets agree to disagree.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BeliefInReality

Hey, maybe that's a good idea. Let the United States have a thriving infrastructure and resources so much that not only when the time comes, we can yank out of the Depression and fight a war on both sides of the planet, again.

They want us out, well, let's do them the favor and then sit back and watch as they languish and beat each other up. Next time they cry for help, don't send it. They think they can do without us, let's see if they can...oh, wait, no they can't.

My suggestion, trade with Canada and Mexico, leave Europe and Asia to fight it out. We will be trading Coors for Molsen while Europeans bomb each other again. They don't want our boom, boom, bang? Let's see how they thrive without it. BTW, we have two states that have higher economies than Australia and other countries. In California alone, Austrialia can't match us, and in Texas alone, is greater than most of Europe. I think we got this one. So let them do without us.

BTW, what American movies did they go watch this week that contributed to the economy of California?

There was a reason Yamamoto said we are the "Sleeping Giant", maybe Europeans would do well to remember that one.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

The US is not a snowflake.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

My example is answer to how flawed is your logic. It is very relevant, as that is one of reason we lost voting right together with Israel, as well that is reason that some of UNESCO stopped funding some of USA backed programs.

There is actually one mistake in my example, made on purpose. It would be more close to near east issue if for example Mexican minority takes part of Texas and declared its Independence, while supported by world superpower, such as China, while oppressing everyone else and building fence across country, a bit into neighborhood's backyard.

edit on 11-11-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

RedShirt73
reply to post by WarminIndy

The US is not a snowflake.

No, we are hail and the rest of the world knows it, that's why the rest of the world wants to be us That's why so many people immigrate here and that's why so many people can't stop watching our TV and our movies and listening to our music.

That's why so many people want to dress like us, talk like us, walk like us, be like us, use freedom of speech like us, do every, every thing just like us and then tell us they don't like us. Amazing, isn't it? This non-snowflake has the rest of the world begging to be like us.

They say "Noooo, we aren't like you Yanks, we do our own thing". Yes, that's why you all immigrate here. If the US didn't matter so much, then why is 3/4 of your news about us? Why is our politicians soooooo important to you, that you all got to comment on it.

Did you know, the mayor of Toronto just got caught for smoking crack? But that's no big news to the rest of the world, Obamacare is the big news.

And you all come to ATS, youtube, Wikipedia, Google and Yahoo, buy books from Amazon, buy music on iTunes, all American, and yet you find your way here to express freedom of speech as though We the People should not say a word when you dislike us. Yes, we are hail and the world knows it.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm not sure I see any reason to actually care much about UNESCO.

LINK

In it's own description -

Protecting freedom of expression: an essential condition for democracy, development and human dignity.

...and yet the President of UNESCO's General Conference is China’s Education Vice Minister Hao Ping.

Protecting "freedom of expression" by putting a powerful person from a country without basic rights in charge? A person who could rightly be described as China's Minister of Youth Propaganda?

Why fund a group where the money is basically to pay cronies of those involved to work for an organization that is clearly not what it pretends to be. Why pay them anything ever? You don't promote freedom by rewarding those who fight against freedom.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

So in you opinion, what is better way to promote freedom of speech in China?

To allow them to learn from organization such as UN and UNESCO, making change aboard more easy or simply do what we are incapable to do - create embargo?!

In my opinion, it is hypocrisy to talk about this while 80% of cloth and non-food goods are produced in china, in some cases still including child labor.

This is where I think that educating world will change it, but this also include large areas of USA, as you still have folks here that think that world is only 5,000 years old and that are thinking that evolution theory means it is just opinion, not proven yet.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Lipton

Yup, you're 100% correct. We can't afford to care for our own because we're far too busy subsidizing well over a billion eaters and breeders world wide, all while your governments ignore it.

And absolutely right too, considering the US created the conditions they are in. Your selective support for dictatorships during the Cold War has come back to bite you.

Lipton

The UN, NATO, UNESCO and every other international alphabet organization would eventually go defunct if it wasn't for our elected officials going on quarterly spend binges. Personally I can't wait for the day we pull even more funding so we then can be chastised by foreign governments when famines kill millions.

Don't delude yourself. That might have been the case in the 1970's/80's, but you are nowhere near as important or valuable to the world today. I can only see good things from the US pulling out of these organisations. You'd lose the majority of the grip you have on the world, and the UN could start working on the world's problems.

As for Famines, we can thank the US and corporations like Montsanto for that. I'm sure a trade embargo against the US GMO industry by the UN would sort out much of Africas food problems.

Lipton
Americans are damned to be judged by the international community and the armchair bleeding hearts, no matter what path we choose. We never give enough (in UNESCO's case, 22%)

Especially since Americans never go around the internet making wild criticisms about other countries they can barely pronounce let alone find on a map....said no one ever.

Your country goes around bullying the world, and you wonder why people criticise you, despite you having access to more knowledge and information than any other generation before to educate yourself on these matters, you still choose not to. There can only be one reason for such a widespread condition; either your population is genuinely intellectually stunted, or your population is the subject of a brainwashing campaign Goebbels could only dream of.

Lipton
For example, looking at the UN donors list, maybe it's time for your country to: Pick Up The Slack

Why should we? You caused most of the problems.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join