It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible WW1 Footage - Holy *** is this real?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
First of all i had no idea where to put this, it has nothing to do with ww3 or war on terror or ufos or other topics nor is it general chit chat, so ive put it here.

I came across this footage, supposedly showing ww1 footage in action, a mass charge/ bayonet fight/ the people falling etc ..

I count thousands of soldiers marching into battle, i highly doubt this is staged propeganda.

The footage is also from the military archives.

This has to be the most fascinating historical footage i have ever seen, if real. Im not interested in gore or stuff like that, its more about the historical aspect that i am interested in this. Plus its in black and white so you it isnt graphic in a violence sense.

Here it is, (cant tell you how many times ive replayed it)

P.S what does it for me is at 12 seconds the guy at the very bottom left hand corner with a rifle and bayonet in panick swipes his musket at an enemy, sees that the enemy has backup and runs back.. that is excactly the kind of real life spur of the moment reaction you would have with a ton of people charging you down, and not rehearsed acting from a cheesey movie script

PPS anyone notice how the officer is always the first to run away
(look for guy with pistol)
edit on 8-11-2013 by mlifeoutthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

I'll have a look when I'm home.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

that's awesome, a world where metro men didn't exist, amazing stuff

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

AthlonSavage

that's awesome, a world where metro men didn't exist, amazing stuff

Im confused what you mean

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

I've never seen it before (1st hint) but if you think logically with low swooping planes (something they did not do) and a fixed camera that everyone ignores..... !!!!!!! the answer is there..... if you think about it!

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

im saying that these guys finding were tough and brave, you think the new age feminised men of today could last 5 second in that situation, hand to hand combat with tanks rolling towards them and mortars going off 10 feet away, no way not unless its on x box.

the camera may be set up in a bunker. The film is obviously very old and if it was faked it looks more realistic than modern war movie recreations.
edit on 8-11-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

MadMax9

I've never seen it before (1st hint) but if you think logically with low swooping planes (something they did not do) and a fixed camera that everyone ignores..... !!!!!!! the answer is there..... if you think about it!

However, even if history and witnesses from the ww1 era say low swooping planes werent common, it does not mean that there absolutly was never a time in battle where they had low swooping planes during ww1.. can we say for absolute certain that there wasnt a single instance where there werent low swooping planes during a battle? nope, and neither can people who were present at ww1.
That is why without saying 100 per cent it is real (which i personally think it is), you cant say 100 per cent it is fake either.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

AthlonSavage

im saying that these guys finding were tough and brave, you think the new age feminised men of today could last 5 second in that situation, hand to hand combat with tanks rolling towards them and mortars going off 10 feet away, no way not unless its on x box.

the camera may be set up in a bunker. The film is obviously very old and if it was faked it looks more realistic than modern war movie recreations.
edit on 8-11-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

Exactly, it looks like a british front line advance, held back by a last stand by a handfull of germans from what i can see. the germans dont feel like putting up much of a fight as they run. I think the camera was probably put up by a guy who copped it, but the camera was left running.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

This is very late in the war, because of the tanks.
Tanks were not introduced in until late 1916
But I've seen pictures of the clumsy monsters used originally, and these look much more manoevrable.
Perhaps late 1918 then, when the Germans were again being pushed back.
The exact shape of the tanks would be a very important dating clue, if the relevant photos were available.

Also notice what the tanks are doing. They are running alongside the infantry. That's what they did in the early days.
The idea of fleets of tanks battling it out with each other was left for a later war.

PS I've just checked in Liddell Hart, and there was a massive tank-supported attack over August 8th-12th 1918, which General Ludendorff called "the black day of the German army".
edit on 8-11-2013 by DISRAELI because: Late correction to statement about introduction date

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Wow that is some awesome footage if it's real.. My father is a big world war 1 and 2 buff so I am going to have to send him that link later, I'm sure he will watch it 100 times , if he thinks it's real..

ty for posting snf

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Impressive footage. There's a joke here somewhere about hellfire missiles and unmanned drones but ill leave it there.

A world divided.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

WW1 really was fought by real men with enormous amounts of courage, knowing they likely were not coming back yet, still walking towards the enemy line, knowing they were all that stood between the enemy and what they held dear..

You said it best, just look at what we have today..

If WW1 were fought by todays "modern" man, we would all be German.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
In WW1 my Grandfather drove a horse and cart up to the lines with supplies. That's all the family could ever get out of him but the nightmares were terrible. God knows what he saw, he did get wounded but made no fuss about it. He came back a changed man.

Regarding the planes, I seem to remember reading that initially the pilots used hand guns to shoot at each other and people on the ground, until the planes were fitted with cannon or guns.

People were so different in those days and made to be so aware of their place.

We might have modern tech today, but what gets me every time about all these wars is they shed blood and its a waste.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
The part that caught my eye was the guy shortly after the rifle sparing chap at 12 seconds. He runs through a
german and finishes him off on the ground and then plays dead as the other enemy charge over him.

wow, balls of steel! i thought. Then he occasionally pops up his head till the rush is over. I guess adrenaline only gets you so far until self preservation takes over.
edit on 8-11-2013 by kountzero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

kountzero
The part that caught my eye was the guy shortly after the rifle sparing chap at 12 seconds. He runs through a
german and finishes him off on the ground and then plays dead as the other enemy charge over him.

wow, balls of steel!

Or maybe he was shot by an enemy out of view of the camera,
i suppose because of the lack of colour and the vintageness of the footage its hard to see that, however the benefit is, had it been hd and in colour, and what appears to be happening is actually happening, it would be very hard to stomache watching

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

mlifeoutthere

kountzero

wow, balls of steel!

Or maybe he was shot by an enemy out of view of the camera,
i suppose because of the lack of colour and the vintageness of the footage its hard to see that, however the benefit is, had it been hd and in colour, and what appears to be happening is actually happening, it would be very hard to stomache watching

Yes, that was my 1st thought but having watched it several times over now you can see him checking now and again. Hes lucky he didnt have a tank roll over him tbh.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

That's so sad, i could've had some relations in there. What a waste!

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

DrunkYogi

That's so sad, i could've had some relations in there. What a waste!

I`ll never forget my great uncle telling me about when he was in the trenches, the officer stood up and said `okay guys up and at `em` stood up got ready to blow his whistle... and a bullet shot the whistle right out of the officer`s mouth.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

edit on 8-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Its possible the film could be a re-enactment for Pathe news or similar news reel. It was fairly common practice to set up short episodes to compliment the stories told at the cinema. The thing that tells me no though is the fact that the camera does not pan at all, a news camera man maybe hunkered down in a foxhole, cranking the handle [or did they have electric/clockwork then?] with the camera above his head?

Scratch that. The height of the camera is wrong. One thing ive just noticed is not a lot is happening in the distance, just a lot of two-ing and fro-ing with not a lot of actual combat that i can see. All the drama happens in the foreground. The reaction to the artillary rounds of the troops around them seems off as well. as if it was just thunderflashes or pyrotecnics. Looking more like newsreel mock-up the more i look at it.

Doesnt detract from the carnage these people on both sides endured. 1000s dead to gain a few yard of mud in a french field!
edit on 8-11-2013 by kountzero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join