It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa utilities joining drill simulating knockout blow to nation’s power grid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

No lights will be out at all. They sit around in a room discussing how to handle it. That's all a Grid Ex is. If they hadn't announced it you'd never know it was happening.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by beatbox

No lights will be out at all. They sit around in a room discussing how to handle it. That's all a Grid Ex is. If they hadn't announced it you'd never know it was happening.

So they are really just wasting money. Unless you do the exercise as a true to life simulation, it's just policy writing and no more. Shouldn't this have all been figured out years ago. The threats have been real for many years.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
All kinds of drills are done everywhere across the US everyday. Now it may be overkill but no one wants to be the person that has to answer the question why wasn't anyone trained for this, how could our EMS, FEMA blah blah be so unprepared?

Natural disasters happen. The grid could fry someday for some reason... why anyone jumps to false flag is beyond me. It's flat out ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by StoutBroux

It's not a waste at all. You can't take the grid down, so they have to do the best they can to practice. Not everything can be practiced for realistically.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by beatbox

really? this guy says different....

“This is different from a hurricane that hits X, Y and Z counties in the Southeast and they have a loss of power for three or four days,” said the official in charge of the drill, Brian M. Harrell of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, known as NERC. “We really want to go beyond that.”

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Read much into things? He didn't say they were taking anything down. He said that instead of something they can recover quickly from this exercise will simulate a long term failure due to cyberattack or solar flare. They will SIMULATE a power failure that will last long term, to figure out how governments will react to it, and what will happen. Just as in 2011 they simulated a fairly short term failure.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I posted a link to the Grid Ex site; did any of you that are worried about this exercise bother to read it? It happened back in Nov 2011, it's going to happen this Nov, and Nov 2015 and we're still here using juice to post messages on ATS.
edit on 8-11-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Thanks majestic. This is what I was wanting to know. It seems benign enough although I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Kukri
reply to post by majesticgent

Thanks majestic. This is what I was wanting to know. It seems benign enough although I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person.

thanks, i went to thie site and found this..

This is a simulated exercise to practice crisis response and information sharing. No real power outages will occur due to this exercise

www.signup4.net...

with that being said, i'd still rather be safe then sorry....
edit on 8-11-2013 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
No problem. Just no need to stress over things that aren't worth stressing over is all. There are more things to be watchful for.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think we are all missing the point here and need to pay attention to the important things

Please AbleEndangerd continue with your recap of the most awesome cartoon ever!
I so remember those...
Seems they would recover each piece of that machine one at a time...and they could use them respectively on their own....
I was just reading another thread about change someone thought ought to happen...my first idea was the only way that could happen is if Cobra Commander wanted it to

X

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

beatbox

As worries increase about the vulnerability of the nation’s power grid, Iowa’s largest electric utilities will participate next week in a closely watched exercise simulating a knockout blow to United States’ electrical supply by cyber-sabotage and physical attacks. Officials with MidAmerican Energy and Alliant Energy confirmed to the Des Moines Register they will be involved in GridEx II on Nov. 12 and 13. The event is sponsored by the North American Electric Reliability Corp., a non-profit entity whose mission is to ensure the reliability of the bulk-power system in North America. The scenario calls for a “prolonged blackout,” that will highlight timely vulnerabilities and issues facing the electrical utility industry.

blogs.desmoinesregister.com... =1

This is very odd... Get ready people.

They deleted the article... Hmmmmm

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Pulls right up for me.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by beatbox

Pulls right up for me.
thanks for some reason it was down last night....move along folks, nothing to see here..
edit on 10-11-2013 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join