It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Iowa Shoot and Kill 19 yr. old After Father Dialed 911 to Teach him a Lesson

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

Yet we cannot determine where he was going when he took off with the truck, or if he would have come back.

But would it had made a difference if the person was say in his 20’s or 30’s? What if this young adult was in his 20’s say 22, would we be so willing to say he needed a slap on the hand? That the police knowing who he was, wait to apprehend him? The police forces, be it as it may, are over extended and do not have the luxury of waiting for a person of interest. They have to make a decision and ultimately take action, and then resume with patrols and other aspects of their jobs. This young kid, being 19, for all intents and purposes, in the eyes of the law, was an adult. And if he breaks the law, should be punished and deal with the consequences of his actions as an adult.

There are 2 things to consider in this case, based off of what was stated, and it is questions that have not been answered. He asked his father to purchase him cigarettes. It stands to reason that either he did not have a valid drivers license, or money. If he did not have a valid DL, then ultimately he was breaking the law by driving without such and not being insured. And if he did not have any money, how would he have gotten cigarettes, unless he intended to steal them from a store.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Well nobody alive knows how he was going to get cigarettes....maybe someone owed him some money? Or maybe he was on his way to a friends, or acquaintance's house to borrow money to get them? Knowing where he lived and him not knowing the deep doo doo he was in before he started being chased I would tend to think he would have eventually returned back to the place he was living.

His age doesn't matter....people used to believe that all life short of mass murdering or genocide was precious as a society.....man I miss those days....

edit on 9-11-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: addition

edit on 9-11-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: clarification

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think it's a misconception here that he was unarmed. When you recklessly endanger lives with your vehicle, attempt the murder of police officers by ramming their vehicle (and that most certainly HAS been charged in cases before, based on that action) and then rev your engine....after tearing onto a University Campus?

Well, he wasn't unarmed. He was driving the weapon and he's shown an almost anxious desire to use it. Repeatedly.

If he'd shut his engine off, I'd call this unjustified and perhaps to an extreme. If he left the engine running but put his hands out the window, I'd call it unjustified. However, he did exactly what he would be expected to do, if about to ram them yet again...and this time, recall, he's on a school campus, not a parking lot or some side street with few people around to be run down if he succeeded in breaking contact to run again.

It's a tragedy but in the 'choose your own ending' nature of a high speed, high risk chase? He chose his...and he easily could have chosen differently, IMO. He didn't.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I don't see any justifiable (or legal) cause for the charge of assault with a deadly weapon by means of motor vehicle against the young man. I do see that he was driving recklessly, but if anything the young boy was driving an "unarmed vehicle" while unarmed.

There is no evidence whatsoever that it was his intention to kill police officers, nor to intentionally bring bodily harm to others in the roadway. Besides - that's usually left to the courts to decide - NOT ordinary people posting their uneducated legal opinions on an internet forum. There's no telling what was on the boys mind when he tried to escape the police. Maybe he was fearful for his life - after all, he was probably aware of the very same kinds of police brutality that he himself was being subjected to (and subsequently the victim of) at the time of of his murder.

As for justice in a court of law ? We'll never know now will we - the cops acted as judge , jury, and quite literally - EXECUTIONER. They murdered him before he had his day in court.

edit on 10-11-2013 by XionZap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

At what age, should you hold a person accountable for their actions, and the choices that they make? After all people like the Mendez brothers are orphans, course they did kill their parents, should we forgive them so readily, even though they brutally and maliciously murdered their parents? And how about Maddie Clifton, after all that young girl should have grown up, but funny, how her neighbor murdered her and then hid the body. Oh by the way the 14 yo boy showed no remorse for his action.

And the lists go on. But lets go to more non violent crimes, such as Tyler Pagenstecher, after all he did not kill anyone, not really, but what he did could be construed just as bad, after all he sold drugs to neighborhood kids, some 20,000 dollars a month. Yet should we forgive him all cause he was 16? At what point do we say that enough is enough and hold people accountable for their actions, and stop making excuses for their behavior?

While yes, the old days where people respected life and abhorred violence are gone, but at the same time if you look back, if a child stepped out of line they got their butt beat, and jail was the last place that people wanted to go. Those were the days, when going to jail was a real punishment, and people would think twice about going there, as it was not the place as it is today. Maybe we should go back to where jails are that rough again and take a page from say Joe Arpio’s book on running a jail, and just maybe it may make people think twice before committing a crime or breaking a law.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

The Kid should not have been ramming police cars and revving his engine but is that really an excuse to fire six shots at him... yes a Vehicle can be considered a weapon if someone is intent on using it as such but C'mon don't these "officers of the law" have a modicum of common sense

i will repeat what i said in the thread regarding the kid with the toy AK.. these type of situations that end in tragedy are going to continue and become more frequent until the Cops are held accountable for their actions... im not talking about firing them i am talking about locking them up like the animals they are because honestly i can't see the difference between them and the criminals the are supposed to protect the public from except maybe the cops get a badge and legal protection, the average criminal does not..

i am so glad i live in Europe
edit on 10/11/2013 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

sdcigarpig

At what age, should you hold a person accountable for their actions, and the choices that they make? After all people like the Mendez brothers are orphans, course they did kill their parents, should we forgive them so readily, even though they brutally and maliciously murdered their parents? And how about Maddie Clifton, after all that young girl should have grown up, but funny, how her neighbor murdered her and then hid the body. Oh by the way the 14 yo boy showed no remorse for his action.

And the lists go on. But lets go to more non violent crimes, such as Tyler Pagenstecher, after all he did not kill anyone, not really, but what he did could be construed just as bad, after all he sold drugs to neighborhood kids, some 20,000 dollars a month. Yet should we forgive him all cause he was 16? At what point do we say that enough is enough and hold people accountable for their actions, and stop making excuses for their behavior?

While yes, the old days where people respected life and abhorred violence are gone, but at the same time if you look back, if a child stepped out of line they got their butt beat, and jail was the last place that people wanted to go. Those were the days, when going to jail was a real punishment, and people would think twice about going there, as it was not the place as it is today. Maybe we should go back to where jails are that rough again and take a page from say Joe Arpio’s book on running a jail, and just maybe it may make people think twice before committing a crime or breaking a law.

Giving a star for this post, because I do agree with some of the points made in it.

In your first paragraph you argue that people should be held accountable for their actions....I agree, I am a firm believer in an "eye for an eye". People that are murderers and are proven beyond any doubt of committing the deeds deserve nothing less than the ultimate punishment, whatever that may be (death in some states and life in prison in others). However, did he murder anyone? No, he did not, we can speculate as to what he may or may not of done but we just do not know. If someone had died or in any way have been injured by his actions then the police would have been justified in the outcome if he had at that point not immediately surrendered. Are you so sure that his intent was not just getting away rather than bodily harm, I'm not.

Second paragraph, forgive people for doing crime, no we should not turn a blind eye, however everyone is entitled to their day in court to be JUDGED by a jury of their peers. Not to be tried, judged and punished by the police officer(s) when a crime is committed. You are right in that he had plenty of opportunity to give up, and as the evidence clearly suggests was guilty of several crimes, but I saw no evidence that they adequately tried to take him alive first.

Third paragraph, I agree 100%, parents have lost the right to properly punish their children because even raising your voice to them (let alone a deserved spanking) these days is considered assault by some and as abuse by many. If someone is tried for murder and convicted they deserve humane imprisonment, but not the Hilton which is what some prisons these days seem to be.

edit on 10-11-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: typo

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This is what the cops have become.

7 cops watch man die then in frenzied craze beat dead body

This isn't one incident, its compiling many.

People need to stop accepting police brutalities and murders and make a huge stink about every single one and not elect anyone that doesnt change things.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

Folks over hear should know by now as its been standard practice, that you will get shot if you go crazy with an automobile. Poor guy just lost his mind.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

But....that can't be....there has to be a mistake....was that compilation video of police brutality really just all actors in disguise to give police a bad name. (sarcasm)

Granted not all men in blue are bad, but if you do a youtube search on police brutality the amount of videos are staggering......nothing changes until good officers don't stand idly by while others cross the line and they need to start policing their own ranks if they want to get the respect of the populace back. Too many turn a blind eye to the evils in their own ranks and the ones that do report misconduct unfortunately find themselves ostracized or out of a job at best and the victim of an unfortunate accident in the worst cases. As a whole the good ones need to stand together or the eventual result of all the madness in this country is anarchy and civil unrest on an epic scale nationwide which will be the downfall of the US and several other countries that have officers just as corrupt in their midst.

edit on 10-11-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: clarification

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Everyone is responsible for their own personal actions. To put blame on anyone other than the one doing wrong.....is not smart.

Shifting blame is one of the main problems in today's society, in my personal option.

Seems like the father was desperate in his actions, but not the cause of his kid's death.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

looks like a lesson was taught alright, but not to whom was intended nor the lesson that was expected...

now what have we learned?

police dont teach..... they just shoot....

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join