It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Iowa Shoot and Kill 19 yr. old After Father Dialed 911 to Teach him a Lesson

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

*beer*

Damn, didn't work.

Oh yes it did! I'm mixing sparkling wine (see how fancy I am? I know the difference between champagne) and lemonade. I am all that is class.

WTF. I think there is something wrong with my computer. There IS video? must try new browser and possibly restart. Blargh.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Domo1
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

I agree with you. The father called the police because of the cigarettes,

Dang it! It wasn't about the cigarettes, it was about the truck being taken! This wouldn't have happened if the kid walked to the store and hadn't taken the truck without permission.

I don't know if I think deadly shootings by police are happening more frequently. They might be. I would need to see some stats on it. I think people are getting more vocal about it, and with the information sharing available today I hear about things I wouldn't in other states 20 years ago. 20 years ago people read the paper and the info available was really limited. It was either national news or local, there wasn't local national... I'm not clever enough to think up a better term.

The argument with his father started over cigarettes, after he took the truck you are most likely correct calling the police was over the truck being taken. The whole incident started over an argument about him buying cigarettes though is what I meant. Had they not been arguing over something so stupid, the truck most probably would not have been stolen to go on a rampage with is my thinking.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Go to desmoinesregister.com. There are a few videos of the incident.

In one vid he must hit a tree....but if the tree was not there he would have ran over one of the cops.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Domo1
... he ran from police after the father reported that his son had stolen (taking without permission is stealing) his truck. It doesn't matter why the father didn't want the truck taken.

This may vary somewhat between different states but normally taking something without permission, that which the person might normally have limited access to - and applies to vehicles as well, this would be considered embezzlement and not theft as in Grand Theft Auto.

In many simlar instances the police would not even take action until after the vehicle had been missing for more than 24 hours. This could be why dispatch advised the officer to discontinue pursuit. The actual circumstances may not have been fully known immediately but only after an APB (all points bulletin) went out over the police radio and another unit visited the father to take a report. These domestic situations are normally handled in a different manner than it would be in the case of a normal auto theft. Of course, who is to say what is normal in these days anymore?

The three primary characters in this tragic event appear to each share some of the fault for this outcome.

edit on 7-11-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
here is a link to the press conference that includes dash cam footage from both of the sqaud cars.

www.cityofames.org...

i live around here and my brother in law works for the ames PD (he was not involved in this incident) my brother also works for the state patrol, so i am probably a little biased as i am concerned with their safety first, but after watching the dash cam footage i would say this was justified. the kid almost takes out someone else when he blows through a stop light, rams a squad car twice, gets rammed himself and still refuses to exit the vehicle and acts like he is going to take off again. yep justified in my eyes, it doesn't matter what started it, when the police turned their sirens on to pull him over if he would have just pulled over nothing would have happened.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Mamatus
While I am firmly not on the fence regarding the Militarization of the Police (to skirt Posse Comitatus) I am not on the fence about someone who chooses to ram a police car.

Running from the cops is one thing. Using your vehicle as a weapon it quite another. Use a weapon against me and I will use whatever weapon is available to defend myself. Even if the officer that shot was clear of the threat he still shoulda have shot the kid as he made his willingness to use a weapon against others and not in self defense quite clear.

What happens if some poor citizen gets in his way if the cops did not stop him? What if he then goes on to hit a child or a member of someones family? There was and should have been no reasonable expectation of not getting shot

I appreciate the fact that he used the truck as a weapon when he struck the police cruiser. I just am not convinced that firearms were necessary in this case to stop the individual. Police have access to several methods of stopping someone without lethal force, yet those methods were not employed at any juncture. Also, after being advised to back off they chose to ignore the dispatch's advice and were "going to get their man" no matter what. Dangerous precident that is methinks.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

I can't believe people gave you stars for this comment? Well maybe I can, it seems that a lot of American citizens are totally cool with the cops killing unarmed teenagers.

I would see this pig swinging by the neck from a lamppost if it were up to me.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
"Ames Police Officer Adam McPherson pursued Comstock into the heart of ISU’s campus. During the chase, Comstock rammed McPherson’s car. The truck eventually stopped, but Comstock revved the engine and refused orders to turn it off."

After he rammed the officer and then revved the engine is when this idiot sealed his fate.

This kid threw away his life because he was told no.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

thesaneone
"Ames Police Officer Adam McPherson pursued Comstock into the heart of ISU’s campus. During the chase, Comstock rammed McPherson’s car. The truck eventually stopped, but Comstock revved the engine and refused orders to turn it off."

After he rammed the officer and then revved the engine is when this idiot sealed his fate.

This kid threw away his life because he was told no.

you are sick in the head....tell that to the father..(if you have the guts to do so that is)....who is now regretting calling the cops this situation could have been resolved without a child being killed.....

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by blackangel13

Thanks for that video.
The police had every right.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I am not the idiot that decided to use my truck as a weapon.

There is no need for name calling.

link   
The father should have never called and reported the truck stolen.. It wasn't stolen, taken without permission? Yes.. It would have returned.. I know hind sites 20/20 but dad should have waited.. Then thrown junior a beaten..

That said.. Wtf was jr thinking? High speed pursuit plus vehicular endangerment.. The kid obviously had more issues than just a nicotine fit..

link   
All but once, it looked that way to me. the cops rammed him. The new rule is run from the cops and you die.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

thesaneone

I am not the idiot that decided to use my truck as a weapon.

There is no need for name calling.

i said you are sick in the head that is not name calling....tell me.... you cannot even tell the difference between a statement and name calling...do i deserve to die because i said something you didn't like ?? perhaps you should call the police and tell them....

you are the one stooping to name calling by calling a dead son an idiot.....that is just poor form

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

blackangel13
here is a link to the press conference that includes dash cam footage from both of the sqaud cars.

www.cityofames.org...

i live around here and my brother in law works for the ames PD (he was not involved in this incident) my brother also works for the state patrol, so i am probably a little biased as i am concerned with their safety first, but after watching the dash cam footage i would say this was justified. the kid almost takes out someone else when he blows through a stop light, rams a squad car twice, gets rammed himself and still refuses to exit the vehicle and acts like he is going to take off again. yep justified in my eyes, it doesn't matter what started it, when the police turned their sirens on to pull him over if he would have just pulled over nothing would have happened.

Thanks for the link, I just watched the dash cam footage. I don't think anyone can deny that the "kid" was completely moronic as his actions point out quite the contrary. I did see a point where they had a prime opportunity to pin him against a tree and failed to do so. May be not that easy pinning a truck with a cruiser I have no experience in such a thing, but pretty much all police departments have SUV's these days for such occasions. Seems to me that, they should have tailed him hanging way back (without lights and sirens) until they had such a vehicle or vehicles in the vicinity to pin him in. They should not have exited their vehicles until he was pinned completely in either I think, by doing so and with him having rammed them once they put their own life at risk. It is hard to say that more could not have been done to prevent lethal force. I think more coordinating and maneuvering into a trap and less gung-ho may have possibly had a different outcome, but it is just my opinion.

One additional point I would like to make is it amazes me how much immaturity and lacking of common sense people have these days as shown by the actions of all parties involved in this.
edit on 7-11-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: addendum

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Law from the barrel of a gun.

I find it incredible that there are people who come here and say that this killing was justified. If the cops were the same in my country half the people I know would be dead, I probably would be too.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the reason these killings happen is because there is a fair portion of the populace who say "yep, he deserved it". Land of the free my bollox.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Now why would I want to do that?

It's hard for me to feel bad for people who choose to break the law and who try to harm innocent pedestrains trying to contribute to society but never mind that I'm sick.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Ever do something stupid in your life? When is it ok to kill somebody for being a dumb kid?

Seems to me, if you want somebody dead in your country, just call the 5.0.

"Sealed his fate"...Jesus Christ!!

edit on 7-11-2013 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

seabhac-rua
reply to post by thesaneone

Ever do something stupid in your life? When is it ok to kill somebody for being a dumb kid?

Seems to me, if you want somebody dead in your country, just call the 5.0.

"Sealed his fate"...Jesus Christ!!

edit on 7-11-2013 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I can't disagree with that.....doing something stupid these days for whatever reason (under influence etc.) all too often ends with death.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

All the time, ask my wife but I don't go trying to run people over and I sure in the hell wont go ramming my truck into the cops either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join