It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Iowa Shoot and Kill 19 yr. old After Father Dialed 911 to Teach him a Lesson

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

a day where a good placed pun could have broke the ice, laughs could have been had and a father could have been arrested for obstruction of justice

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

WeRpeons

Am I reading this wrong? Doesn't it say the kid rammed a car of the police officer? I would think I would feel threatened if I were a cop and that happened to me........

Look I'm not a huge fan of police, but I don't think the kid was being very smart with his actions.
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

I was thinking the same thing. Ramming a police officer's car is considered using your vehicle as a deadly weapon. Even if the kid wasn't armed, his intention was to cause harm to the police officers. This is like comparing apples to oranges. I don't like reading about police brutality, but in this case, the young man ramming the police cruiser clearly was trying to harm the officers.

The sad thing about this entire situation is the kid cared more about a pack of cigarettes than the consequences of his actions. If you play with fire, you will get burned.

The question I have, is if the cop in the cruiser ended up being killed because of this kid ramming the cruiser, would we even have a thread about the cop dying?

I agree it was assault, but was it not a bit of overkill? There were other alternatives that could have been employed in my opinion. As for if the officer died would there be a story, I honestly don't know. I post stuff here that I read in news stories that I think should be read about. I don't know if the story would or would not have gotten coverage if the outcome was different.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

Apparently, among all the training that police are required to learn, shooting to wound is no longer part of the curriculum. Leg shot, shoulder shot....

There's one in every thread. Police only shoot to kill for good reason. Think about your leg and your shoulder. Think how close your shoulder is to your heart, head and neck. Think how being just a tiny bit off could turn that 'non lethal' shot lethal. Same with your leg. There are lots of things pumping life juice through them. Get hit in the wrong spot in the leg, arm, anywhere and there is a chance you bleed out.

This isn't the movies. This is real life. No one here regardless of how good a shot they claim to be would say that shooting to wound is safe. It's just not. There are maybe a couple hundred people in the world that are that accurate under stress.

Google 'why don't police shoot to wound'.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't like it when police shoot people in their vehicles. Of course there are differing circumstances, and I would like to see a video of the altercation up to and after the shots were fired before passing judgement, but shooting someone in a vehicle doesn't really stop the threat. They could slump on the gas pedal and drive in to a crowd, keep going and still hit the cop car, panic and instead of steering for an open area steer into a person... It's risky business and I think it should be highly discouraged unless under very specific scenarios.

The kid was a complete moron, made some real bad choices and I'm not sure how aware the responding officers were that he was the son of the complainant. My knee jerk reaction was to blame the father, but honestly I can see where he was coming from. Probably would have been best to file a report instead of calling in the troops.

My ideal resolution would have been if the police were made aware who was driving the stolen car and broken off, get a warrant and nab the guy later. It would have been safer, easier and the kid would probably still be alive. That or have the father hide the car keys.

I hate stories like this. I feel awful for everyone involved.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by colddeadhands

i prefer to think of them as the national police collective

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

1. The van wasnt stolen - he lied
2. The van was with his son - he lied
3. He didnt tell the cops it was his son with the van - that could have made the difference in the cops attitude

Taking a vehicle without permission is stealing.

The dispatcher clearly informs the cops it was the man's son.

He did.

It's a truck not a van.

I didn't realize they were informed it was the son until I listened to the police tape on *shudder* Infowars.

edit on 7-11-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
this father really screwed up. you don't use a pack of carnivorous rabid baboons on crystal meth to teach your son a lesson, and you don't use the police for that purpose either. punch the kid in the face yourself or something, but don't send the hair-triggered shock troopers ffs. idiot.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rockoperawriter

TY I may add the word collective to my thought process. It definitely fits.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Lol the audio is available on the other sites linked as well, I just listed all sources for completeness. I'm well aware of the negative reputation that comes with using infowars as a source most times, but every once in a while they actually do manage some decent reporting in between segments of hyped hysteria.
edit on 7-11-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: Punctuation

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I want to add some things really quick.

Let's stop saying this was over a pack of cigarettes. Saying the dad called the cops over a pack of cigarettes, or the police killed a kid for wanting a pack of cigarettes is ridiculous. He was killed (right or wrong) because he ran from police after the father reported that his son had stolen (taking without permission is stealing) his truck. It doesn't matter why the father didn't want the truck taken.

I'm staying on the fence until I see a video or more evidence before I choose to side with the police or rally against them. At the end of the day this whole thing could have been avoided multiple times if the kid hadn't been such a jackass. Not to say that automatically exhonerates the cop shooting, but let's not blame the Dad. In hindsight it was a poor decision. In real time it was like calling the cops after finding the kids stash of coc aine.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Darkphoenix77

WeRpeons

Am I reading this wrong? Doesn't it say the kid rammed a car of the police officer? I would think I would feel threatened if I were a cop and that happened to me........

Look I'm not a huge fan of police, but I don't think the kid was being very smart with his actions.
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

I was thinking the same thing. Ramming a police officer's car is considered using your vehicle as a deadly weapon. Even if the kid wasn't armed, his intention was to cause harm to the police officers. This is like comparing apples to oranges. I don't like reading about police brutality, but in this case, the young man ramming the police cruiser clearly was trying to harm the officers.

The sad thing about this entire situation is the kid cared more about a pack of cigarettes than the consequences of his actions. If you play with fire, you will get burned.

The question I have, is if the cop in the cruiser ended up being killed because of this kid ramming the cruiser, would we even have a thread about the cop dying?

I agree it was assault, but was it not a bit of overkill? There were other alternatives that could have been employed in my opinion. As for if the officer died would there be a story, I honestly don't know. I post stuff here that I read in news stories that I think should be read about. I don't know if the story would or would not have gotten coverage if the outcome was different.

Certainly an unfortunate happening of events.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I have to agree with you. This kid put himself in this situation and we cannot overlook that. He could have easily pulled over and talked about the situation with the cops and his father, but he endangered the police and others....just because he wanted to throw a hissy-fit over a pack of smokes.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Sad story all around, but I bet there's some kind of history with the 19 year-old son and legal system? drugs? ADD or autistic? pharmaceutical drugs?

You have to have something wrong with you to ram a police car with a truck.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

My bad. The first link went freaking ape poo on me. I guess I just missed it in the second. Not knocking you for Infowars. Infowars doesn't really lie with sources (mostly), they just make some wild ass assumptions. See Obama the crack smoking homosexual transvestite that is a secret Muslim bent on killing all the white people and elderly while holding secret meetings with something something something (I ran out of ideas).

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Domo1
I want to add some things really quick.

Let's stop saying this was over a pack of cigarettes. Saying the dad called the cops over a pack of cigarettes, or the police killed a kid for wanting a pack of cigarettes is ridiculous. He was killed (right or wrong) because he ran from police after the father reported that his son had stolen (taking without permission is stealing) his truck. It doesn't matter why the father didn't want the truck taken.

I'm staying on the fence until I see a video or more evidence before I choose to side with the police or rally against them. At the end of the day this whole thing could have been avoided multiple times if the kid hadn't been such a jackass. Not to say that automatically exhonerates the cop shooting, but let's not blame the Dad. In hindsight it was a poor decision. In real time it was like calling the cops after finding the kids stash of coc aine.

I agree with you. The father called the police because of the cigarettes, the mistakes made on all sides were entirely avoidable from all parties involved. Plenty of blame to be shared by all sides with this story. It does seem to me however that deadly force should have been the last option to utilize and I do feel that they not only in this case but in the host of these stories that crop up (one every few days it seems) they resort to use of deadly force more readily than they did say 20 years ago.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I have to agree with you.

Poor guy. That must have been painful! I'm pretending you gave me the drink que.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Domo1

My bad. The first link went freaking ape poo on me. I guess I just missed it in the second. Not knocking you for Infowars. Infowars doesn't really lie with sources (mostly), they just make some wild ass assumptions. See Obama the crack smoking homosexual transvestite that is a secret Muslim bent on killing all the white people and elderly while holding secret meetings with something something something (I ran out of ideas).

No worries, it is understandable, and the audio in one of the sources stories is actually a link to the audio so is easy to miss. I can finish that for you lol

"something, something, something" = JP Morgan executives at Bohemian Grove.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

*beer*

Damn, didn't work.

But yes, I agree with you. There are some questions as to how the police could have acted differently but if you watch the video, this guy seems to speed through the ISU campus and even comes very close to running over a few people.

Not to mention the trailer he loses along the way that he used to ram the police with. In the end, we can question the cops all we want, but this kid was stupid and paid for it with his life.
edit on 7-11-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Happy1

Sad story all around, but I bet there's some kind of history with the 19 year-old son and legal system? drugs? ADD or autistic? pharmaceutical drugs?

You have to have something wrong with you to ram a police car with a truck.

Heh, yeah don't get me started on pharmeceuticals! I think that they are the root cause of 95% of all the madness that takes place in Sparta these days.....

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I agree with you. The father called the police because of the cigarettes,

Dang it! It wasn't about the cigarettes, it was about the truck being taken! This wouldn't have happened if the kid walked to the store and hadn't taken the truck without permission.

I don't know if I think deadly shootings by police are happening more frequently. They might be. I would need to see some stats on it. I think people are getting more vocal about it, and with the information sharing available today I hear about things I wouldn't in other states 20 years ago. 20 years ago people read the paper and the info available was really limited. It was either national news or local, there wasn't local national... I'm not clever enough to think up a better term.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
While I am firmly not on the fence regarding the Militarization of the Police (to skirt Posse Comitatus) I am not on the fence about someone who chooses to ram a police car.

Running from the cops is one thing. Using your vehicle as a weapon it quite another. Use a weapon against me and I will use whatever weapon is available to defend myself. Even if the officer that shot was clear of the threat he still shoulda have shot the kid as he made his willingness to use a weapon against others and not in self defense quite clear.

What happens if some poor citizen gets in his way if the cops did not stop him? What if he then goes on to hit a child or a member of someones family? There was and should have been no reasonable expectation of not getting shot

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join