It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Iowa Shoot and Kill 19 yr. old After Father Dialed 911 to Teach him a Lesson

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

James Comstock refused to buy a pack of cigarettes for his 19-year-old son, Tyler, and now he’s planning his son’s funeral.

“He took off with my truck. I call the police, and they kill him,” James Comstock told The Des Moines Register on Tuesday. “It was over a damn pack of cigarettes. I wouldn’t buy him none.

“And I lose my son for that.”

Comstock said he’s outraged police shot and killed his son Monday morning on Iowa State University’s campus.

Police began pursuing Tyler Comstock of Boone after his father reported the truck stolen. The truck belonged to a lawn care company.

Ames Police Officer Adam McPherson pursued Comstock into the heart of ISU’s campus. During the chase, Comstock rammed McPherson’s car. The truck eventually stopped, but Comstock revved the engine and refused orders to turn it off.

McPherson fired six shots into the truck. Comstock died from two gunshot wounds, according to the Iowa state medical examiner’s office.

James Comstock said his son was not carrying a weapon.

During the chase, an unidentified Ames police staffer twice suggested that police back off their pursuit, according to dispatch audio obtained by the Register through a third-party service.

The "kid" was 19....if he wanted to end his life slowly with cigarettes that is his business, he's an adult.
The police have no justification for what they did, they must have misplaced the stopsticks in this scenario as well......but let's hand out some medals....they "clearly, had no alternative." (sarcasm)

Just another example of police that run amok and in most probability will not be charged with any wrong doing. The "kid" deserved to be arrested and charged with the crimes he committed for sure, but what is with all the executions these days?

Des Moines Register

Daily Mail

Infowars

edit on 7-11-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: missing word

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

Sad. Yet again, another story of the wrong cop getting the wrong call. Condolences to the family.
edit on 7-11-2013 by Emerys because: (no reason given)

link   

I am thinking that this was overkill (please pardon the pun) for sure. But it begs the question why did the kid run and hit the cop car?

I can't even imagine running from the cops these days. It seems that is all they need to justify ending the run in a hail of gunfire.

link   
so the police officer didn't arrest the father for obstructing justice?

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Am I reading this wrong? Doesn't it say the kid rammed a car of the police officer? I would think I would feel threatened if I were a cop and that happened to me........

Look I'm not a huge fan of police, but I don't think the kid was being very smart with his actions.
edit on 7-11-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: Spell

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

During the chase, Comstock rammed McPherson’s car. The truck eventually stopped, but Comstock revved the engine and refused orders to turn it off.

The "kid" led the cops on a vehicular chase and rammed a police car with his truck. Then when ordered out of the truck revved it like he was going to ram again. Sounds like self defense to me.

I normally have little sympathy for cops who shoot unarmed people but this kid was armed with a truck and had already shown he was prepared to use it against people. I'd have shot at him too.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I remember when the UK was called a police state but wow the US is getting as bad If not worse.
Terrible just terrible condolences to all involved

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

solongandgoodnight
Am I reading this wrong? Doesn't it say the kid rammed a car of the police officer? I would think I would feel threatened if I were a cop and that happened to me........

Look I'm not a huge fan of police, but I don't think the kid was being very smart with his actions.
edit on 7-11-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: Spell

No most definitely not smart, I agree with you there 100%. He deserved to be arrested for the crimes he committed and be tried in court. I don't disagree with that at all.....what I disagree with is using deadly force.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

See my above post, he deserved to be arrested, not arguing that. Where I find fault is in not using other non lethal means to take him down.

If you follow the link and listen to the audio they were advised by dispatch to discontinue the chase.

edit on 7-11-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

oh ok... so... a father calling the cops on his own son over a "stolen van" which actually wasnt stolen, because he didnt want him to buy... ermmm... cigarettes... because you know... cops havent got anything better to do than chasing kids around for buying cigarettes and teach them a lesson even if them havent got no clue about if thats a #ing crazy parent's idea of a life lesson or not over something as small as CIGARETTES so the cops, whom have no clue about who they're dealing with, shoot the crap out of his son...

No seriously... cops fault? Really? lol... So... no STUPID PARENTING FAULT?

What a #ing idiot father... too bad for the kid to have such an idiot father that cost him his life... really I feel sorry for the kid. Now for the father, I hope he feels guilty for the rest of his life which I hope is short and he hangs himself out of guilt in the next 7 to 15 days... or something more painful.

What a #ing idiot.
edit on 7-11-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

RogueValleyMFR

I am thinking that this was overkill (please pardon the pun) for sure. But it begs the question why did the kid run and hit the cop car?

I can't even imagine running from the cops these days. It seems that is all they need to justify ending the run in a hail of gunfire.

Totally agree, the amount of stupidity all the way around is truly staggering. I'm just saddened that he died over a 10 dollar pack of butts.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

So its right to shoot someone who doesn't turn off the gas? heck sorry but in the uk the cops would box him in and drag the guy out.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Apparently, among all the training that police are required to learn, shooting to wound is no longer part of the curriculum. Leg shot, shoulder shot.... with many police, like the rest of government, paranoia reigns supreme. Maybe less paperwork that way too? No trial, just burial. Of course, the father doesn't seem like the brightest bulb, and if the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, the kid obviously could have made more intelligent choices himself. While still young, he was an adult.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This happened less than 30 mins from where i live and it is causing quite the stir.

There is a LE policy that states they are not supposed to shoot on a person in a vehicle if it is at a complete stop....yet this LEO did just that.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

probably two weeks notice and severance pay

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Bassago

During the chase, Comstock rammed McPherson’s car. The truck eventually stopped, but Comstock revved the engine and refused orders to turn it off.

The "kid" led the cops on a vehicular chase and rammed a police car with his truck. Then when ordered out of the truck revved it like he was going to ram again. Sounds like self defense to me.

I normally have little sympathy for cops who shoot unarmed people but this kid was armed with a truck and had already shown he was prepared to use it against people. I'd have shot at him too.

Well, you just saved me a bunch of typing. This case is closed, the son lost, the father lost, and the police lost. Very tragic.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

reply to post by solongandgoodnight

I was thinking the same thing. Ramming a police officer's car is considered using your vehicle as a deadly weapon. Even if the kid wasn't armed, his intention was to cause harm to the police officers. This is like comparing apples to oranges. I don't like reading about police brutality, but in this case, the young man ramming the police cruiser clearly was trying to harm the officers.

The sad thing about this entire situation is the kid cared more about a pack of cigarettes than the consequences of his actions. If you play with fire, you will get burned.

The question I have, is if the cop in the cruiser ended up being killed because of this kid ramming the cruiser, would we even have a thread about the cop dying?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Totally agree, there were no winners just a whole lot of avoidable decisions on all sides.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

So its right to shoot someone who doesn't turn off the gas? heck sorry but in the uk the cops would box him in and drag the guy out.

Monkey man... you know me better than that... its the father's fault. Period. What father would call the cops on his son because of some cigarettes? Really... I mean... look at it for what it is. It was wrong. Theres so many reasons to blame the father and just one to blame the cops.

1. The van wasnt stolen - he lied
2. The van was with his son - he lied
3. He didnt tell the cops it was his son with the van - that could have made the difference in the cops attitude
4. Calling the cops for his son smoking - IS THIS EVEN A REASON FOR CALLING THE COPS? The father should be arrested on top of getting his son killed.
5. He called the cops and was sure to treat his own son like a common criminal and got sure he was treated like one - WELL HE WAS TREATED LIKE ONE - got killed.
6. The father should get convicted of something related to murder since by his orders he got his own son killed ... over cigarettes - way to go dad.

I can go on with this...

1. Ok, the police was brutal.

But comparing it to the uk... I mean... the uk is a grain of sand compared to the us, plus you have enough troubles you guys cant deal with so why call the cops over smokes aye?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Darkphoenix77

but what is with all the executions these days?

The more it happens the more "ACCEPTABLE" it becomes. The SS I mean LEO are just getting warmed up. If I was a gambling man I'd wager that a bunch of them will be applying for leadership roles in the new national police(as I call them). History has a nasty habit of repeating itself. When will we ever learn?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join