It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Target removing criminal history section from job applications

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I feel someone who has served their time, and is not currently serving probation has every right to find gainful employment.

When I was a hiring manager some of the best employees I had where the ones with checkered past, they were grateful for the opportunity.

To continually punish people who served their time by denying them jobs is a fast route to repeat offenders.
edit on 7-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

You cant even get into a fist fight in America anymore with going to prison. Yeah someone is violent but you have to realize that most people need help, they aren't all sociopaths that go around looking for violence thinking that is a mistake.

You gotta start thinking along the lines of helping people not just throwing them into prison and them releasing them and not allowing them to work. Thats seriously ludicrous.

We need to start thinking about helping people.

Otherwise you continue to expect more shootings and a generally growing depressed population people.
edit on 7-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I am a felon.

Do you know how hard it is to get work?

I know exactly what your talking about.

I to have a felony that actually made it hard to find a job for about three years before I found the one I currently have.

Just because someone has done something wrong in the past it shouldn't be held over their heads for life.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I understand all the views expressed here. And as much as I feel for a former felon who finds it hard to get work, and they certainly should be able to get a job...... I don't want to go shopping at a store with my child knowing the workers may have a child molestation history or history of violet crime or rape or hell, even theft. Some people are truly reformed and ashamed of their past and are just trying to move on with their lives, but not all of them. And how are they going to know the difference if they don't look? It's one thing to try and help a certain community, but then there's just plain stupid. So, do what they must, but I'll start shopping somewhere else from now on. I'm sorry but there are bad people in this world, and they are the ones who are ruining it for everyone else.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

It says they won't "automatically" screen out applicants for admitted records. I suppose they can still run a background check and withdraw the job offer on the results. But it will cost a little money, and they're less likely to act on the results if they have already begun the hiring process.

There are some felons working for my employer. But it's not because we don't ask them if they have a record. We ask, and then we get a copy of their records anyway. If there's evidence of rehabilitation, and the crime isn't directly connected to the job, they're good to go. What we don't do is throw out every application admitting an arrest or conviction. HR selects who they want to hire first, based on qualifications, then the security stuff happens.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

gladtobehere
But with our current system of overcriminalization, almost anyone can be arrested at any time.

This is the only reason I can't completely disagree with the OP. I might be an exception to rule because I give everybody a pretty fair shake. In all fairness, it's points off if you have a criminal record.

The last 'criminal' I hired merely had a DUI history. I kinda got raked over the coals for my decision, because one DUI in this environment is the end of your employment. Considering its a $70K cost to replace a member of the staff, I understand why my decision was considered questionable. In hindsight, this is the one guy on my staff who now knows there's a line you don't want to cross. I suspect he'll never go astray again. This was all discussed openly in the employment interview and he was able to gain my confidence.

If Target is bringing people on at minimum wage, we're talking about a completely different dynamic. Anyone (not just someone with a record) may not have the discipline or incentive to reform or develop their character as an employee.

The problem I see here is a 'progressive' trend which may negatively impact well established and efficient hiring practices. Obamarama's administration is behind this (look it up) ... and everything he touches has turned into a fiasco.

OP, I've seen your comments about 'what will become of people' who aren't given a second chance. You seem to think they'll never get out of the hole they dug for themselves. I won't hire people with a violent past. I won't retain anyone who commits a violent act. In the real world certain standards are an expectation. People with a criminal background (especially recent history) are rarely the right candidate. They have defined themselves by the choices they made. It's not the responsibility of an employer to bring people around. It was a parent's job to instill such values at an early age.

I promise you this: If I interview a guy, who I think might break into my house because I don't want to hire him, he's not the guy who's getting the job. He's a continuing threat to the community ... and the sooner he finds a job in anther town ... the better.
edit on 7112013 by Snarl because: Autocorrect

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

Thats awesome and i applaud you and your company for ethical business practice. However i promise you you are the minority.

What really happens is is the applications with felonies are tossed into the garbage and skimmed over to the people who don't have them due to the market. I can understand it trust me i can.

Again however, its creating a very dangerous and violent subculture in America. If you cant see whats happening in your community very quietly you gotta really take another cold hard look.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

This isn't just about hiring people and felonies and violence. There is another entirely separate issue that is causing this in the first place.

People in America aren't getting the help they need.

Would you be more inclined to believe that if someone came to you, not out of prison, but our a of a, ohhhhh lets say a environmental treatment facility, where we put them into an environment of love and acceptance and they learn what its like to love and accept people instead of sending them to hole of severe predatory violence and making them worse?

Runnon sentence i apologize but youll get the general idea of what im saying...all of these issues are a direct result of our inability to help and understand our fellow human being.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

crazyewok
Only time a criminal record should be brought up is if it could affect the job.
Ie you shouldnt let a sex offender in a school

Or

A fraudster run a bank.......o wait that happens everyday.

But anyway thats my view.

This makes the most sense and is fair to the person with a record.
You don't hire a rapist to be a gynecologist or a pedophile for day care manager.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Isittruee

I wish that it was handled in the manner you would handle it. The truth is in the current corporate and political climate that is isnt handled that way and we literally have no recourse.

Your recourse is to slightly change your details on your identity. Smith too Snith etc, its all computer read, if one detail doesn't match then you are obviously someone else, as far as the digital program is concerned. Just sayin.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Snarl

This isn't just about hiring people and felonies and violence. There is another entirely separate issue that is causing this in the first place.

People in America aren't getting the help they need.

Would you be more inclined to believe that if someone came to you, not out of prison, but our a of a, ohhhhh lets say a environmental treatment facility, where we put them into an environment of love and acceptance and they learn what its like to love and accept people instead of sending them to hole of severe predatory violence and making them worse?

Runnon sentence i apologize but youll get the general idea of what im saying...all of these issues are a direct result of our inability to help and understand our fellow human being.

America is not about me (the individual) ... unless that's your choice. America is about American society. Unfortunately, people all too often misunderstand that. It's pounded into everyone's head from the time they're little, "You can be anything you want to be when you grow up." and "You're free to do as you choose."

These things require discipline and hard work of which some people just aren't cut from the right bolt of cloth. I wanted to be a fighter pilot ... I got to be a Soldier instead. Making choices comes with consequences. Choose wisely and you're rewarded. Choose unwisely and you'll find yourself on the outside looking in. I'm not saying it's always fair. Many things in life aren't. It is what it is.

I'm out. -Cheers!!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
i've been turned down for employment 20 times in the past 5 yrs face to face or over the phone, and i applied at least for 75 others jobs that i never heard back from. i was told that the criminal record kept me from getting the jobs
and i've never been to jail longer than a week,all because of three convictions all misdemeanors and non violent.

they are were 30, 25 and 20 years ago. a dui a possession charge of one left hander, and another dui.

so tell me that's fair.

edit on 7-11-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
double post
edit on 7-11-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I agree with you. Going to college in a college town (Ellensburg) where they post a sign saying "X amount of DUI's served this year" when you go in, I should have just joined the military instead of graduating from college. That town seriously preys on college students, it's main life blood, whether through rent, parking tickets, or it's OVERLY FUNDED and ABUSIVE POLICE FORCE. It's so bad my LAWYER GOT PULLED OVER THERE. Not to mention I got a DUI because I moved my car across the street to make room in a drive way (unfortunately a police officer passed me while I was walking back across the street and said I parked to close to a speed limit sign).

Well there went my future to go to Office Candidate School.

Anyways that's the military, but it's not like ONE stupid 19 year old decision hasn't haunted me up til now...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Intrusive........Really. Gotta love the progressive mindset.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Here is what I say to individuals that have been convicted of a felony. File for a felony expungement. If you are not a repeat offender then the expungement should be granted. After that, you won't have to disclose the felony on a job application. Although, if the job requires a security clearance then you will have to disclose the felony when applying for the clearance.
edit on 8-11-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

onequestion
Im more worried about what someone that has 12 assaults on their record is going to do WITHOUT a job.

A good point. What is the purpose of "rehabilitating" them in prison when they no longer have the right to "earn" a living once they're out?

They should at least look at what the offences were and how they are relative to the position in question. If the offences happened a long time ago, that should be taken into consideration also.

There is no point "rehabilitating" people if they are no longer allowed to participate in society.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The federal government has made it a point for "many" years to target individuals with police records.

Why you ask? Because it directly eliminates who can vote. Period.

The status quota wants to limit very much who can actually vote in political elections.

think about it for a sec.

And then tell yourself that it is OK to limit the population, and restrict voting rights.

It is why pot is a class 1 drug at the federal level.
(mods, leave this post, it isn't promoting drug use, it states simply a fact of conspiracy)

You can control the electorate if you can eliminate a significant majority from voting.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

SubTruth
Gotta love the progressive mindset.

I dont get how its "progressive" surely a big database full of even the most minor criminal recored thats follows you every inch of your life after you supposidly paid your debt to socity in prison is "progressive" ?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
This idea that once someone has done their 'time' but they must have it rubbed in their noses is draconian and detrimental. Although there is in the UK a percentage of career offenders, a huge proportion, once having actually gone to prison never offend again.

I noticed that this judgemental attitude is permeating throughout the insurance services with their charging much higher premiums for anyone who has been arrested. (Obviously were you a car thief I doubt you would bother to ask for car insurance).

What gets me is the armchair judge whose piousness exists simply because he hasn't yet had any police contact, but they will get him eventually.

Basically this situation has arisen because of arrest numbers imposed by our government and its well time it was addressed, especially as they are the ones urging people to get a job - virtually impossible if you have a conviction. Its a short-sighted policy because it creates an underclass because people have to live.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join