It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Target removing criminal history section from job applications

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Didn't know where to put.

www.newpittsburghcourieronline.com...

(NNPA)--Individuals seeking employment with the Target Corporation will soon notice a change in the company’s job applications.

The Minneapolis-based company recently announced that they will no longer question applicants about their criminal history. The company said it expects to remove the question from applications nationwide in the coming year.

According to the National Employment Law Project, the decision was based on a new Minnesota law and the efforts of grassroots organizations that have been pressuring the company to change their standards.

“Target is finally doing the right thing by reforming its hiring policies so that qualified job applicants aren’t automatically screened out simply because they have an arrest or conviction from the past,” Christine Owens, executive director of the National Employment Law Project, said in a statement. “Other large retailers around the nation need to follow suit, because their hiring policies send a strong message about whether they are committed to the communities that support their business.”

As any of you who read my threads know, this is intrusive and detrimental policy carried out by all corporations in the US and it is used against us at every turn. This policy is destructive to the culture of this nation and barbaric. I can only hope that more corporations follow in suite.

We NEED to start thinking about helping people.
edit on 7-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Pretty stoopit progressive policy if you ask me. People's character is a hard thing to change. Always good to know 'who' people are.

OP I understand the ideology here, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. If it works, and works well, I would be the first to bow my head to you when you come back and say, "I told you so."

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

First off your position isnt exactly clear. Secondly you obviously have no idea what kind of negative impact this has on the community.

I am a felon.

Do you know how hard it is to get work?

This has nothing to do with progressive politics it has to do with community building and allowing people to be able to clean their lives up. Let me guess.. youd rather buy those felons food stamps and welfare, then sit on your pompus rearend and complain about how many jobs there are and how lazy people are?

When one of these felons invades your house because they cant feed their family due to your ultra conservative policies then i am not going to pitty you.

edit on 7-11-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I'm in the middle here, on one hand multiple offense offenders are a bad idea to employ. On the other in America people are getting busted at an unheard of rate for stupid things that follow them forever.

Once someone has served their time though seems to be a bad idea to keep punishing them. I'd like to hear both points of view on this.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

What are they going to resort to when we refuse to offer them gainful employment?

Your going to be their target.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Snarl

First off your position isnt exactly clear. Secondly you obviously have no idea what kind of negative impact this has on the community.

I am a felon.

Do you know how hard it is to get work?

Yep.

I am responsible for hiring everyone who walks through my doors. I have made exceptions. As an employer I have to consider the overall health of the workforce. There is no reason for me to jeopardize a good thing by bringing in bad apples.

That said, when I see a person has 'paid their dues' they get a fair review. I'm not stupid enough though to hire a professional thief to work in my warehouse. If I had stock in Target, I'd be on the phone with my broker selling hard. They're hiring in the blind from this point.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Thats completely different then your original post. What said above i am more inclined to agree with.

However not enabling someone to work and provide is worse. Its worse for the community, it leads to higher crime rates and inevitable downfall in society.

One bad apple spoils the bunch i know, but that lesson also applies to the community.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by Snarl

I'd like to hear both points of view on this.

That's why I jumped in. This thread has the potential to grow legs, and I'm interested in this community's take on the subject.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Snarl
Pretty stoopit progressive policy if you ask me. People's character is a hard thing to change. Always good to know 'who' people are.

OP I understand the ideology here, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. If it works, and works well, I would be the first to bow my head to you when you come back and say, "I told you so."

Not true for everyone. At 17 I committed a felony(not important what it was). Thats an adult age for crime here. Still on my record to this day. I then got a wavier and joined the army. I did my contract and started a career and family. People can change. Haven't commited or thought of doing a crime since.(ok maybe i speed sometimes
)

Should this be taken out an application? No. You should know backround of people that work for you. They should make it to where it doesn't effect company decision to hire though. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Eta: Except rapists and child molesters. You can take them out back and put two in their heart and one in the head.
edit on 7-11-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Only time a criminal record should be brought up is if it could affect the job.
Ie you shouldnt let a sex offender in a school

Or

A fraudster run a bank.......o wait that happens eveyday.

But anyway thats my view.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I have a larceny on my record. I have been told repeatedly that it poses a problem. I would benefit from this change in policy. Are you telling me that I should lose my chance to be hired because of something stupid I did when I was younger?

Then again, there's always the possibility that my chance at getting hired would result in the reality of a felon being hired...someone with several assaults and an armed robbery on record, for instance...
edit on 7-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
its used here in Britain and i don,t see a problem with it myself,i,ve got a criminal record from my younger days that i,m not proud of and if me declaring it and an employer doesn,t give me a job cause of it then thats my fault and my fault alone.

to be honest its never really been a problem for me cause if you come across well and show that what was declared isn,t you now then they will see that.

still a good thing to me when for example if you get a convicted peadophile applying for a job with children and they couldn,t check his criminal history.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

I wish that it was handled in the manner you would handle it. The truth is in the current corporate and political climate that is isnt handled that way and we literally have no recourse.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The question may not be on their application, but they're going to look you up regardless. It means nothing. If you have a criminal record, you're still probably not going to get hired. Sad, but true.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I think you deserve to be hired.

Im more worried about what someone that has 12 assaults on their record is going to do WITHOUT a job.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Thats actually very decent of them.

There was a time in our nation's history when this would be considered crazy.

But with our current system of overcriminalization, almost anyone can be arrested at any time.

Cops often lie only to have the charges dropped after a video surfaces.

edit on 7-11-2013 by gladtobehere because: video added

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Most people are blindly assuming that the legal system works perfectly and that every felon is guilty of their crime, or guilty of the severity of their crime.

That only shows me the ignorance of their stance.

60 years ago this system wasn't even possible and we had lower crime rates. Its a ridiculous system trial fail and needs to be changed as soon as possible.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

I have a larceny on my record. I have been told repeatedly that it poses a problem.

Then again, there's always the possibility that my chance at getting hired would result in the reality of a felon being hired...someone with several assaults and an armed robbery on record, for instance...

This is what worries me the most. Youth causes people to do things they wouldn't do as they mature. With all the felony level laws in the US I'd be surprised if a majority of our citizens don't reach the bar at some time or another.

Maybe there is a way to filter this idea to only violent criminals. Whether they need jobs or not I wouldn't be comfortable employing people who are violent and will take my chances in the community if they're around.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I hope this is adopted by many companies.

I have a criminal record and have to disclose my convictions on job applications. I feel so disheartened when filling that part in because I know I will be discriminated against because of it. In two years of countless applications I have only ever had one reply, and that was to inform me my application was unsuccessful - o shock.

I broke the law and I paid for it with my liberty for 18 months. I had never been in trouble before then, nor since. I learned my lesson and had no intentions of going back to jail and I never have. Years later and a reformed character, I am not permitted to leave my past mistake where it belongs, in the past.

The last job I worked for 8 years before they let me go, and I only got that job because I lied on my application and said I didn't have any criminal convictions. But they do checks now with Criminal Records Bureau and I wouldn't be able to do that any more, so I have to disclose.

My conviction will soon be spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, when I can at last leave my past behind and I will once again be a citizen 'of good character'.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

That`s exactly what I was thinking, just because they aren`t going to ask about it anymore doesn`t mean they won`t still be doing the background checks.

i`ve been denied jobs because of my background, in one case the boss said I was exactly the person they were looking for and that I knew the job better than he did.after 3 weeks of dodging my phone calls he finally called back and admitted he didn`t hire me because of the background check.

On the one hand people should be given the chance to redeem themselves after they have done their time but on the other hand companies have the liability problem that if they hire someone with a criminal record and the person does something that puts the company in jeopardy of a lawsuit.That`s what most of it is really about, the insurance companies don`t want to take the chance of a lawsuit which they will lose so they put pressure on the companies not to hire convicted criminals or they will drop their insurance.It`s always about money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join