It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a month after shutdown, Silk Road 2.0 emerges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
NOTE: I realize there is a thread about this in another forum but you are allowed 2 threads on the same subject if one of them is in Breaking Alternative News.

Also this thread is NOT the place to discuss the legalization of drugs as this is against the ATS T&C.

About a month ago (October, 2013), notorious Tor and Bitcoin-enabled drug marketplace The Silk Road, was seized and shuttered by American law enforcement.You didn't think that was the end of the story, did you?

Now, yet another anonymous person online has taken up the persona of Dread Pirate Roberts, and created The Silk Road 2.0 (silkroad6ownowfk.onion..., naturally only reachable via a Tor Browser). The new marketplace has not just the same logo and layout, but also many active vendors. While there are a number of other sites that have sprung up in the wake of the original Silk Road, this new one appears to best retain the spirit of its predecessor. (Ars editor Cyrus Farivar has created an account under "cfarivar" for journalistic p

Just a month after shutdown, Silk Road 2.0 emerges

So with all that out the way ...the obvious question here is who is really running the new site? Is this just a (not so) elaborate plan by the government to create a honey pot? Its obvious that there is a LOT of money that can be made from a site like this so maybe the government is cashing in? It wouldnt be the first time something like this has happened. In the past governments have sold drugs on the quiet to fund black op's.

Dead Pirate Roberts (or someone pretending to be him) has issued this statement :

"Over the last 4 weeks, we have implemented a complete security overhaul. This overhaul marks the dawn of a brand new era for hidden services, and it would not have been possible without the patient support of this community. So for waiting patiently; for offering encouragement; for keeping the community spirit alive in Silk Road's temporary absence; for all of this and more, each of you has my deepest and most sincere gratitude.

It took the FBI two and a half years to do what they did. Divide, conquer and eliminate was their strategy… but four weeks of temporary silence is all they got. And as our resilient community bounces back even stronger than ever before, never forget that they can only ever seize assets -- they can never arrest our spirit, our ideas or our passion, unless we let them.

We will not let them."

Is a "complete security overhaul" even possible within the existing TOR framework?

The price of bitcoin has almost doubled (currently at $312) since the shutdown of the first Silkroad so will this cause a drop in value as it becomes a tainted currency once again?

related ATS thread

edit on 7-11-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
anyone that would trust this would be stupid. I mean come on, the first silk road was suppose to be fed free, but look at how that turned out. What makes these one so different?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm, call me a skeptic, but this reeks of an interpol honeypot sting.....

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

TKDRL
Hmmmmmm, call me a skeptic, but this reeks of an interpol honeypot sting.....

Agreed and also agree with neobluedragon. Tr guy gets arrested he is taken into custody interviewed. Police get all the info they need and set up Silk Road 2. Anyone who uses this have got to be stupid or know what they are doing

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I tried to browse the deep web once. It's so slow Id be in a nursing home by the time I got somewhere. I wanted to see what everyone was talking about. I have no idea how anyone can do anything on there. I saw a glimpse of the old silk road. Was more interested in touring all the sites that were listed on Wiki and that was the only site I could even bring up. Still took like 5 minutes to load a page and you would be lucky if the page even fully loaded.

Is there something I am missing? How in the world can law enforcement or anyone do anything on there?

edit on 9-11-2013 by Pimpintology because: of his early childhood vaccinations.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

Yeah, you were missing the use new identity button lol. Gotta hit that once in a while till you get better speed. there are some slow nodes on TOR

top topics

join