It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act Author Introducing Anti-NSA Spying Legislation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Patriot Act Author Introducing Anti-NSA Spying Legislation

The EFF defended that Sensenbrenner has been maintaining that the Patriot Act was not supposed to allow Congress “to permit the NSA’s collection of the records of every telephone call made to, from and within the United States.” “I stand by the Patriot Act and support the specific targeting of terrorists by our government, but the proper balance has not been stuck between civil rights and American security,” the Representative said in a statement to the EFF. “A large, intrusive government – however benevolent it claims to be – is not immune from the simple truth that centralized power threatens liberty.” He concluded by detailing, “Americans are increasingly wary that Washington is violating the privacy rights guaranteed to us by the Fourth Amendment.”
Well this is a real treat. A politician correcting a wrong.

Sensenbrenner is planning on introducing his bill this Tuesday. “Several Members have told the media that if they knew now what they knew then, specifically NSA audit documents that seemed to contradict what they were being told, then they would have voted for the Amash Amendment,” reported Breitbart.com. “It’s worth noting that 13 members who voted to stop the PATRIOT Act two years ago voted against the Amash Amendment back in July.” According to a letter being handed around to the Members, Sensenbrenner’s bill is being portrayed as a vehicle “to rein in the dragnet collection of data by the National Security Agency (NSA) and other government agencies, increase transparency of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC), provide businesses the ability to release information regarding FISA requests, and create an independent constitutional advocate to argue cases before the FISC.”
All of this happening because of a man who dared to stand up against the government and spill the beans as it were. Many called Edward Snowden a traitor but I think more like a hero!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

colddeadhands
Well this is a real treat. A politician correcting a wrong.

Sound more like he's investing in job security than trying to actually stand up for those he "rules" over.

Perhaps the Patriot Act author had a change of heart. It's possible but I personally doubt this.
Anyone who was intelligent enough to draft such legislation in the first place MUST have known EXACTLY how it could be abused by the state.
Am I to believe he wrote some of the most draconian legislature in the history of America accidently?
No...I don't think so.
Bottom line?
Proposing legislation or advocating legislative changes to existing law does not equate to the "implementation" of said changes so the it's a bit early to start the celebrations.
I imagine we won't be hearing much about this soon, much the same way nobody is paying attention to Fukashima, loss of internet & personal freedom or the financial meltdown being prepatrated by the same government that says:

"We must take your freedoms away to protect you from yourself."

Sorry, but the weather forecast for freedom is thunderstorms with a 90% chance of extinction level event meteors.
I would like nothing more than to be proved wrong on this.

-Amitabha-

(P.S.: Snowdon Rocks!)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

I suppose you could be right. Celebration time is a long way off, but at least it is a step in the right direction. Just think: He could be sitting there saying " I don't know anything about it!". And you're right Snowden rocks!!!

new topics

join