It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mac help needed pls.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I have a 27 in imac bought new in 2012. It has X lion 10.7.5. First mac ever and totally clueless. I've always been a Windows user, and did fairly well, but I'm starting over from scratch in the learning process.

First question that's been bugging me for months. Why is it every time I open a new window, if I click the history tab, I ALWAYS see " Shawnette Hadely" google search? I am the only one who uses this computer and I can guarantee I've never done a search for this person.

And secondly, why is this mac SO slow? I am constantly getting the color wheel when trying to load pages. It's not my internet connection because I have a Win pc right next to the mac and it loads almost instantly. I have tried to google the answer, but there are so many answers and I'm not sure if I should be trying a bunch of stuff myself when I'm not familiar with the system. I'd feel better if someone could help me, instead of my trying to pick and choose from google searches, if that makes sense.

I did reduce my desktop to one folder, because I read a cluttered desktop could make it run slower. That
had no affect on my problem. I try to keep only one or two things open, and that doesn't seem to help either.

Is there something specific I can do to make this machine faster?

I would be so grateful for any help.

V.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Switch to Windows. Problem solved.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Hey buddy!

Take a look at these links for some ideas:

Click!

Click!

Click!

Click!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I bought a Mac Mini a couple of years ago and had the same problem with speed. Garageband and other apps were unusable.

How much RAM have you got in yours?

I only had 2g when I bought mine so I maxed it out to 8g and now its well wicked. Lightning fast. I'd never go back to a windows machine. Give it time and you'll get used to the OS. I'm a massive fan of the latest OS. Works like a dream and looks the mutt's nuts.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I see your browser is Safari in the screen capture you brought. In that click on preferences and in that under privacy you can delete cookies and set your browser to only or never accept them to your taste. Apple has no off switch for cookies by the way, you are stuck removing them periodically to keep from building while you surf. If there are programs maybe someone else can help.

Also in History you can Clear History…

Also in Apple (far upper left) you can "Restart System" and this clears cache.

The name that appears may be an Apple rep that set up your system at the factory but forgot to delete herself? I dunno…

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
As for it running slow one thing to remember...

Mac Osx doesn't shut down the app when you shut the window, my money is on a bunch of apps open.

It's not like windows where you close the window and the app quits you have to go file quit even if the window closes otherwise the app stays on in the background.

My wife does that on hers all the time, bogs the whole machine down.
edit on 7-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Hi, sorry to hear your problems. I have the desktop model which is about 4 months old. I refused to have something I could take to bed with me as the wife would complain.

Mine for the things I use it for works fine and is very fast. My son who also has an old Mac laptop loves it and uses it to its full advantage.

I am still learning about it though and if I find anything I will post it for you.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Wow. Two identical typos. Good thing the forum has a filter.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You know what I'm noticing? Speaking of apples, my new iPhone (5s) seems to creating a bunch more typos than my previous...

Almost like the screen is less sensitive than the last one or something.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Hi there,

I have the same model of mac that you do. And I had the same problem that you are having.

A friend recommended a program called CleanMyMac, (a free trial can be found here:macpaw.com...). Totally solved my problem. I am not affiliated with this company in any way. It real does work.

Hope this helps!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
youtu.be...

Try this link it helped mine. You can also delete cookies by looking on YouTube as well for tutorials.
Mine is the same but bought in 2010 and have had no issues. Good luck.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Disc Utility

Repair permissions

Å99

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AllInMyHead

I did try that software. It said it found 4 g of crap that I can delete, so I did. I shut down and went about
my business and when I restarted it, I opened Safari and started typing in google search bar, and I couldn't even get the sentence typed out when I got the color wheel again. It lasted forever! So, I shut it down
again and then deleted a bunch of applications I didn't use. Restarted it and so far, it does seem faster,
but I think there needs to be something else done. I'm going to follow some of the other links posted
here and see what else I should do.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Did you Mac ever run fast? If not then you probably need more memory. 4GB is usually enough these days.
If you have 4GB or more of memory then and "Repair disk permissions" didn't work then I would suggest backing up all your documents and re-installing your system. That is the easiest fastest way to do it. Trying to diagnose you exact problem over the wire is pretty complicated. Hard enough over the phone. Yes we geeks can do this but we know what info we need to give someone to start fixing our problems.

Copy all of your files/Applications to an external drive. Then reboot the Mac while holding the Option key down until you see a menu displaying icon's. Choose System Recovery. Then just follow the on screen instructions for what you want to do.

When complete copy your files back and also copy your applications back to the applications folder. Good to GO!

Hope that helps!
edit on 7-11-2013 by lobograndemalo because: (no reason given)

top topics

join