It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Won’t the West Defend Middle Eastern Christians?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by wildtimes

How dare you! Asking them to use their gray matter...what are you, some kind of sadistic demon? The depravity!

I know especially when all they have to do is pick up they latest hand extension and look it up ...

Nevermind that they don't actually learn it that way; they still think it makes them the smartest people in the room. Debate any 20-something idiot, they'll tell you so.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I know especially when all they have to do is pick up they latest hand extension and look it up ...

Nevermind that they don't actually learn it that way; they still think it makes them the smartest people in the room. Debate any 20-something idiot, they'll tell you so.

I'll thank you to count me as an exception to that rule.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You're a 20-something idiot?

I added the "idiot" specifically to exclude most of the present company, but if you choose to self-identify ...

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I'm happy that you're happy but you do realize that it CAN'T be done, right? On paper it can, and I admit that beneath my cynicism is a guy who used to think that something dramatic could be done to build the necessary momentum, but in the world we actually have to deal with it is much more likely that the current program has to crash and burn before anything new can thrive.

In fact here's a perfect example of why it can't be done- you know those Sarah McLachlan commercials for the ASPCA that are over a minute of sad looking puppies and sobby wailing about the eyes of angels? When I'm sprawled out semi-conscious on my TV trying to think about cartoons instead of the real world and that comes on, I actually want to make the world worse just so they will give up and stop bothering me. Part of me would like very much to air a long commercial featuring puppies being put down with a hammer to the beat of some screeching death metal and air it right behind that ASPCA commercial every time until the ASPCA decides their commercial is doing more harm than good.

There's not much point in denying that on some level, I'm a horrible person for that, but experience suggests that I'm actually more willing to be disturbed and less cruel than most of the people I run into in a typical day. My point is that not only is nobody ever going to get up and make things work the way we wish they would, but if anybody ever shows promise in that direction, Tanya Harding is gonna kneecap them before they can pull it off.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by ketsuko

I'll thank you to count me as an exception to that rule.

Have you lived in a world without the Simpsons, microwave ovens and cell phones?

There was a world before all of that. Did you know about the world before XBox, Playstation and Wii? I am sorry to say, most young people learned about WWII from Playstation...lol.

Oh back to the days of Donkey Kong, Pong and Pac Man. We used to get our information about the world from PBS, now it's Family Guy. We used to read those really hard things with a lot of pages, called books. Now it's Kindle and tablets. We used to draw on paper, now it's pen tablets. BTW, I have a Wacom Bamboo and it's good only for digital drawings.

We also have Photoshop that we can take picture that other people have done, and make new pictures. Back in the day, we had to take the pictures ourselves, then go get them developed, now you just upload them to your computer. That's what technology has done, it's made people really less creative and less educated. Even though there is a wealth of information out there, today it's all about LiLo, Beliebers and Jaden Smith holding hands with some girl (what is her name again?)

Did you know that the song Jacquie Lee sang on The Voice was very, very old? BTW, she did it well. But from where I sit, I see a lack of education among the students of today. How many have read War and Peace? I did when I was 12 years-old.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

ketsuko
Debate any 20-something idiot, they'll tell you so.

I certainly will!

Though, I dont know what a "hand extension" is... Is that like the finger-longer?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

She teaches at a Liberal Arts college. She has her Master's Degree from the University of Kentucky.

Well, that's GOOD NEWS. At least some colleges are still teaching Liberal Arts, Humanities, and Western Civ!
:thumb up:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

You haven't seen them? It's those flat rectangular things that are never seen out of their hands. They might as well be grafted on. They sort of slump over them and jab at the screen with the index finger of their other hand. Sometimes, they have their ears grafted in with headphones.

Husband and I are busy trying to figure out how to make sure our son grows up tech literate without becoming totally tech dependent.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

OOOOHHHHHH, I get it!

I actually think most people using technology today are quite illiterate when it comes down to the inner workings of said technology. Its interesting, because many have a cultural view that proficiency in using an item is somehow synonymous with being knowledgeable about the technology itself.

Perhaps to gain an even higher form of technological literacy, you can have them learn about actual circuits, electricity, programming, and various other fields rather than simply how to use other peoples inventions.

Who knows what they might create!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I blame Star Trek.

That's the current advertising for new technology, Star Trek introduced the idea, so let's make it happen....

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Serdgiam
reply to post by ketsuko

OOOOHHHHHH, I get it!

I actually think most people using technology today are quite illiterate when it comes down to the inner workings of said technology. Its interesting, because many have a cultural view that proficiency in using an item is somehow synonymous with being knowledgeable about the technology itself.

Perhaps to gain an even higher form of technological literacy, you can have them learn about actual circuits, electricity, programming, and various other fields rather than simply how to use other peoples inventions.

Who knows what they might create!

Actual true story, I met a friend again several years ago that had been my best friend in the eighth grade. Her five year-old son created some type of architectural design with his stick building toy thingy. He was so proud to show me this thing he created. I said "wow, you might make a good architect one day". His mother, not being very intellectual, said "Nooo, he's going to get into computers and work on them one day". Well, I had to inform her that computers 20 years from now are not going to be the same today and the internet is going to be gone as we know it now. She was looking at the present state, thinking this is going to be here then.

But he was so proud of this thing he made. He smiled with his two teeth missing from his mouth, you know how they are at that age. He should have been encouraged at least because it is something he made with his own hands.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

WarminIndy
But he was so proud of this thing he made. He smiled with his two teeth missing from his mouth, you know how they are at that age. He should have been encouraged at least because it is something he made with his own hands.

Its incredible how we show so much of ourselves at such an early age. But, it seems we have many systems in place to funnel people into certain fields.

It actually seems off topic, but I think this is one of the ways we actually can help people the world over, including in our "hometowns."

Instead of just throwing money into frameworks like "world aid," invest that money into tools which can enable people the world over to better put their skills into action. In other words, instead of creating perpetual dependency, we should look at ways for people to better utilize, explore, and improve their independent skills.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

If you want to lay the blame anywhere, blame it on Separation of Church and State. So now all we can do is sit back and pray for deliverance. Hosanna.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

lonewolf19792000

If you want to lay the blame anywhere, blame it on Separation of Church and State. So now all we can do is sit back and pray for deliverance. Hosanna.

Partially, but in the Middle East part of the problem is too much church as state.

I'd say that it's more that we somehow allowed ourselves to believe that it was a bad idea to elect Godly men because that somehow would usher in a theocracy.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Oh I'm aware of Hagee and his ilk. Lets just say I do not agree with a lot of what the televangelists have to say. Sometimes I think they just say half the crap they do for ratings and to appeal to the people that actually watch their programs so they can keep the donations rolling in.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

How many have suffered from the inaction of those who chose to just sit and pray instead of taking action? "All we can do is sit back and pray..." What a joke.

It's the principle of the matter. Sometimes, prayers of just another way of saying you're too scared to stand up and announce your weakness to the fellow scum of the earth. Heaven forbid they recognize your plight and stand beside you in the face of misfortune.
edit on 7-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Well as a single, non-churchgoing Christian family of very limited means, what would you have me do?

I give what little extra I have to local charities I trust like our local food pantry. My husband donates blood.

But aside from that, where am I going to get the means to affect much in Syria? If I find a credible organization that can do something over there, really do something, I might consider chipping what I can. And, of course, you always spread the word where you can to raise awareness. There is also the endless letters and calls to congresscritters ...

But aside from that, prayer is all that is left.

edit on 7-11-2013 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

If you are attending church or paying attention within the Christian community, then it is a common topic. Outrage? Yes. All over the airwaves of Christian radio and TV. In the pulpits and across the country in coffee shops. The reason you do not hear of it, if you are not in Christian circles, is because the MSM is not covering it.

American Center for Law and Justice

Where does a Christian find refuge in the Middle East? Israel.

If you listen to Christian radio or TV, it is covered continuously.

Millions of Christians are praying. Israel is acting as a refuge. Missionaries are working to report and serve. As with the entire world, it is the true believer that holds the world together. When the Christians are gone, watch the Middle East burn by its own lack of concern for human dignity.

The foundation of a peaceful society is love for others. When the church of Rome corrupts truth, we know from history what happened. When tyrants corrupt truth, history repeats. When good people are persecuted, the Spirit rises. Christians may be turning the other cheek, but we are not silent on the issues. This is something that will continue to get worse and expand globally.

Matthew 10:22

You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

edit on 7-11-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Again, we're not in power, so how can we do much about it except through things you don't see unless you are connected to them directly?

And our government is in bed with the killers.

Elect a secular government and don't be surprised when they don't always act in the best interest of humanity.
edit on 7-11-2013 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
will be back....

edit on 7-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join