It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube changes its comment section, the beginning of censorship.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

YouTube's comment cleanup commences.

The online video service announced Wednesday that all users will begin seeing site-wide changes. The main gist of these changes is that comments will now be sorted so that users will see prioritized posts based on community-focused commenters and people in their Google+ circles. Before now, YouTube comments were simply sorted by the most recent post.

The revamped commenting system also provides several new tools for moderation. These tools let uploaders and channel owners review comments before they're posted, blacklist certain words, and whitelist specific commenters so their posts will always be approved.

Sounds like a bunch of garbage to me.

Most of the "changes" that they are promoting were already in effect. Uploaders already had the ability to pre-approve comments before they were posted.

And those comments which were voted up were at the very top of the comment section.

I'm going to guess that by some epic coincidence, pro-establishment comments will always be visible whereas thoughts which contradict the official story or status-quo will somehow be lost or buried.

Just change the name already to theirtube. How about (we're watching you)tube.
edit on 7-11-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Actually it announced this back in september and has been rolling out these changes for quite sometime

even though the one bummer is that the most rated comments are the ones you see first, and they can be quite old.. it still filters out a lot of the offensive and troll like comments, so i think its a good tool, plus you dont need to use it

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

It's a darn shame - YouTube comments are a rich vein of humour. I love revealing the comments with too many negative votes, the stupid is just glorious.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
It's hivemind mentality. It will basically become a Reddit proxy. There's really no reason to sign up anyways when you can just watch the videos.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
It's their site and they can run it however they see fit. Besides, no one is forcing anyone to use their services or to even go as far as creating an account to log in.

How is this even a big shocker? They're owned by google, you can't even get a youtube account without having a gmail account. The only people worried about this are those that want to complain about every little aspect of the internet, just because they can.

People these days are so entitled. I want this, I want that, I don't like this, I don't like that...everything is about me. Uh, no...sorry, but it's not. They have a website to run, and if this cuts back on the nastiness and trash that the cesspool of a comments section has turned into...all the better.

Besides, who gives a crap what comments show up first??? SERIOUSLY. What a dumb thing to even think twice about.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Yeah, totally NOT liking the sorting by top rated comment thing. Sorting should ALWAYS be in the hands of the end-user. And when it's not it should ALWAYS be chronological either ascending or descending. But this is nothing new. Facebook and Google+ have been doing this crap from the get go. Things are sorted and show in your streams by some super secret algorithm. It's one of the things that annoys me most about both social networks. And now comments will be the same - totally stupid.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

I disagree. It is true, that youtube/google owns the site. However, It is the traffic to that site that pays the bills. Every person visiting that site is therefore a customer. And as a customer, the OP is "entitled" to his opinion of how the site is managed.

It is business in this country that has a sense of entitlement now. It is business that has an attitude of "my way or the highway". And unfortunately, it's working for them. At least for now. But even the almighty Microsoft learned recently, they aren't almighty. A minor setback for them, but still a lesson learned. And one they have no desire to repeat, I'm sure.

So yes, "It's their site and they can run it however they see fit." And yes, "They have a website to run."
But when and if the day comes when there is no one visiting their site, and no one clicking on anything, there will no longer be a reason to run that site. It will be out of business.

People these days are so entitled. I want this, I want that, I don't like this, I don't like that...everything is about me.

As a customer, that's exactly how I feel. I think you summed it up very nicely. Thank you.

edit on 11/7/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Websites have the right to do what they want, within law. It is their house and not yours.

It's not censorship... They just don't like asshats.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Youtube has needed this for awhile. The comments section is a waste land of stupidity and trolling. Giving people running the channel the ability to slow down the trolls is always a good thing.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
You can still sort the comments by newest to oldest if you want.

new topics

top topics

join