It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama in 2008: no one will be forced to buy health insurance !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Obama in 2008: no one will be forced to buy health insurance !

Well chalk up another one for Obama !

Back in 2008 (while campaigning) he made some statements that again ended up getting the best of him.

Will Americans ever be able to trust the President ?

The Truth-O-Meter Says

..... Obama replied that his plan was universal (a claim we rated Barely True ) and explained why he was against a mandate: "A mandate means that in some fashion, everybody will be forced to buy health insurance. ... But I believe the problem is not that folks are trying to avoid getting health care. The problem is they can't afford it. And that's why my plan emphasizes lowering costs."

Obama said at the time it was possible some people would refuse to buy health care under his plan.

"It's true that some people could game the system by just waiting till they get sick and then they show up," Obama said. "But keep in mind that my plan also says children will be able to stay on their parents' plan up until the age of 25. And so I don't believe that there are a whole bunch of folks out there that will not get coverage. And John, both you and Hillary have a hardship exemption where, if people can't afford to buy health care, you exempt them so that you sort of don't count them."

Obama in 2008: no one will be forced to buy health insurance

"Obama Broke His Promise on Individual Mandates"

"Candidate Obama promises no health insurance mandate, but President Obama forces the mandate "

AND....

Under the plan, if you like your current health insurance, nothing changes, except your costs will go down by as much as $2,500 per year. If you don’t have health insurance, you will have a choice of new, affordable health insurance options.

The Obama-Biden Plan

"Obama Promises To Lower Health Insurance Premiums by $2,500 Per Year"

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Interestingly enough, this particular lie still isn't getting a lot of coverage in the media even though it's at least as egregious as promising people they could keep their health insurance if they liked it.

Forcing people to buy insurance after you promised you wouldn't do that is kind of a big deal. I can't help but wonder why this hasn't gotten more attention. The entire thing is built on this single lie. Obama's presidency is built on this lie.
edit on 7-11-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It's 2013 dudes. This is old news. This was gone over many times since the first discussions of Obamacare. In order to get healthcare reform done, Obama had to adopt a mandate-based system like that of Massechusetts. Voters already had a chance to toss him out. They didn't.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Extra! Extra! This just in: politicians lie and nobody cares

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Oh what a difference a few years make.

"Bush lied, people died."

Now. . . .

"Obama lied. Er. . . meh."

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Regardless of what Obama said in 2008, he was reelected in 2012 with the individual mandate being a cornerstone of his platform.

So, Obama "lies" in 2008.....his "lie" is well known by 2012....and he STILL got reelected. Where's the news in this story?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

DrEugeneFixer

It's 2013 dudes. This is old news. This was gone over many times since the first discussions of Obamacare. In order to get healthcare reform done, Obama had to adopt a mandate-based system like that of Massechusetts. Voters already had a chance to toss him out. They didn't.

You took the words right out of my fingers, so I have little to add except that when the reality of passing the bill came along the Obama administration, and its congressional allies, had to tweek the thing to get it passed. Lots of favors were called in, and new ones made.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There are now cases where Obama lied and people will die. All because of ACA.

thinkprogress.org...

I purposedly linked the article used to smear a cancer patient because it still doesn't explain it away. They try to say her insurer was going to drop her for other reasons. But the bottom line is, they are leaving because of ACA.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

LeatherNLace
Regardless of what Obama said in 2008, he was reelected in 2012 with the individual mandate being a cornerstone of his platform.

Where was the alternative? I'll give you about 15 seconds to meditate on the word "Romneycare".

Hmm. It's almost as if they chose the worst possible guy to run against Obama. A guaranteed loser. You honestly believe the only guy they could find to run in 2012 was the Romneycare guy? How could Romney credibly oppose the Obamacare mandate in 2012? Answer - He couldn't. This isn't rocket science. It's obvious. Even the Republicans aren't this stupid. The election was another fraud. No surprise there, really. If you were paying attention in 2000, 2004 or 2008, you know that none of these "elections" were real.

Well. So it looks like Obama didn't exactly get reelected. Did he? No. It looks a whole lot to me like the Republicans deliberately threw the election. Because had the Republicans "won" they would have been expected to get rid of Obamacare and there wouldn't have been any good reason why they couldn't. So they couldn't be allowed to "win".

The mandate wasn't a cornerstone of anything. It's always been the stench that follows Obama around everywhere he goes. At first he called it what it is. A penalty. But it was unconstitutional as a penalty. What else could Roberts do but call it a tax? But it isn't a tax. It's still a penalty. Calling something a tax doesn't make it a tax if it's designed to punish people. If taxes are supposed to be punitive than what is the income tax? A punishment for working? What's the sales tax? A punishment for buying something? What's a property tax? Punishment for owning property?

It's not a tax. It's a penalty. Another lie in a long line of lies about the same lie. Why should we be surprised? They always say that once you tell a lie, you have to keep telling more lies to cover for the original lie. Eventually you get so mired in your own web of lies that you're just plain screwed.

The mandate was a Republican idea from a Republican think tank. It started with Republican Romney. Romney resurfaced in 12 to protect the mandate by handing Obama another term and Republican John Roberts gave the mandate the legal green light. Hmmmm. Something stinks here. Can you smell it?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

DrEugeneFixer

It's 2013 dudes. This is old news.

George Bush is old news. Obama is the new liar in chief. This is new news. This is about the future.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

BrianFlanders
So it looks like Obama didn't exactly get reelected. Did he? No.

Yes. He did. Anyone who says otherwise is just in an extreme case of denial. Obama unambiguously won re-election after having lobbied for obamacare and signed it into law.

Romney was the best candidate that the Republican party had available. Sad, but that's how the election process works.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

beezzer

Oh what a difference a few years make.

"Bush lied, people died."

Now. . . .

"Obama lied. Er. . . meh."

And really, folks should be saying

"Obama lies, and people are dying"

as....Obama campaigned that he was not a war monger;
now is quoted as saying to his aids " I am really good at killing".

The droner In Chief!

edit on 7-11-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

DrEugeneFixer

BrianFlanders
So it looks like Obama didn't exactly get reelected. Did he? No.

Yes. He did.

No. He didn't. See how easy that is?

Anyone who says otherwise is just in an extreme case of denial. Obama unambiguously won re-election after having lobbied for obamacare and signed it into law.

If you can win an election against an opponent who isn't trying, I guess you have a point. I guess I shouldn't say good old Mitt (what kind of name is that, anyway?) wasn't trying. He was obviously trying real hard to be as obnoxious and offensive as possible. He didn't have to try at all to be the guy who was (in)famous for Romneycare because he was so deeply connected to it that it has his name on it.

Romney was the best candidate that the Republican party had available. Sad, but that's how the election process works.

Please go on. How does that work, exactly? They could have put just about anybody else up against Obama and there would have been a stronger contrast between the two on the individual mandate. And it has already been acknowledged countless times that the individual mandate was the definitive issue of that election. You'd have to be completely stupid to run a guy known for supporting the individual mandate against Obama in an election in which being against the individual mandate is the choice you're trying to present to the voters. It's just unfathomable that anyone believes this wasn't a setup.

The only thing Romney had going on was a really big chin and a strange hairdo. How was he different? Really different? Claiming to be against the mandate is no good when he was obviously lying. Where was the real difference? I'll tell you where. There was one letter of difference between Romney and Obama. They were wearing different uniforms and that was it. It was a fake election and we have never been given a choice on the mandate. Obama lied about it in his initial run for president (so he never ran against anyone who wasn't for a mandate) and he didn't have a real opponent who was against the mandate in 2012.

Even if he had been against it, Romney was a joke. America didn't vote for Obama. They voted against Romney. And it was set up to work that way.

And Obama did lie about it. Period. Even if America did reelect him, he still lied. And he lied because he knew he had to. He knew he was lying to people who wouldn't vote for him if he didn't.

join