It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

help finding information on antique masks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
11 years ago I bought a set of antique hand carved masks. The guy I bought them from could not give me any information on them other then they were 50+ years old and were most likely Polynesian. They have been hanging on my wall ever since. Im going to be moving cross country soon and I am trying decide if they are worth keeping or selling. Ive taken them to numerous antique shops wigh out any luck. Im hoping someone can point me to a website.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Wish you were able to post pictures of them. My family has been in the antique, surplus and auction business for 46 years.

The advice I can give, don't rush to sell them. Rushing could damage your potential earnings. There is always a customer that will be willing to pay top dollar for specific items they collect. Going to an antique mall or a swap meet having to do with antiques will be your best bet on pricing, aside from scouring the internet.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This is one of them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

edit on 7-11-2013 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Snap some pics and post to reddit. Way more exposure. Make a username and password, link it to your email if you feel so inclined, but you don't have to.

Pop the pics on imgur.com, start a thread on reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing and you'll probably know in short order what to do with the masks.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Domo1
Snap some pics and post to reddit. Way more exposure. Make a username and password, link it to your email if you feel so inclined, but you don't have to.

Pop the pics on imgur.com, start a thread on reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing and you'll probably know in short order what to do with the masks.

Good call. Never used reddit. I'll give it a shot thanks. Edit...having never used reddit ive no clue were to post it??
edit on 7-11-2013 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Nice, looks like a Balinese Guardian mask. I have never seen them with three faces but folk art is cool like that. The masks of this type that are authentic and that I have seen and held, can go from as little as $45 to $450+

I completely agree with Domo1 though, Reddit would be a great way to find more info than I can give.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Rectorate
reply to post by w810i

Nice, looks like a Balinese Guardian mask. I have never seen them with three faces but folk art is cool like that. The masks of this type that are authentic and that I have seen and held, can go from as little as $45 to $450+

I completely agree with Domo1 though, Reddit would be a great way to find more info than I can give.

Thanks. I did post on reddit. Any idea how to tell if they are authentic?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Some basic techniques of figuring out the authenticity are looking for any "ware and tear" like sweat stains where the forehead, cheeks, nose or chin would rest. (this mask may not have actually been worn though, being as long as it is)
Cracks in the mask, and the type of crack they are, thin antique wood can usually crack near the edges of the mask.
Oddly enough, the smell of the mask. There may be a smell lingering still from before you acquired them, maybe faint smoke.
The paint/ stain, from what I can see in the picture it does seem to be aged correctly to be at least 30 years old (this is a photo though, my view is limited). The paint or stain will fade over time.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Well reddit tur ed out to be a dud.

new topics

top topics

join